Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Then don't ask for 'chips', ever tried asking for 'fries' instead?
Yeah, I always do the second time around . However then I go back to the UK for another 11 months and by the time I come back I've forgotten and get the same nasty surprise. Maybe it will be different once I've moved over permanently and assimilated.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Yeah, I always do the second time around . However then I go back to the UK for another 11 months and by the time I come back I've forgotten and get the same nasty surprise. Maybe it will be different once I've moved over permanently and assimilated.
Yep, eventually 'we all' assimilate!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

See, I quite like these. I don't know why but when you have a bunch of one dollar bills, it feels like you have more money than you actually do. Something that's good for the morale after the air-con/heating/healthcare costs come out.
I agree ... plus, coins suck - they are heavy and fall out of your pocket (men only/mainly - women use purses ... ). I always ditch coins into a big jar when I get home, which when they are pennies or quarters, is no big deal. But when I go to UK and do this, I find I have a huge amount of money piled up! Long live the dollar bill, and may it always stay nice and small - unlike UK money which I have to fold to get into my wallet
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rculater

Dislikes
Healthcare
Hint - cut out the Philly cheesesteaks and you may find your healthcare needs reduced ...

Dislikes
Restaurants that look and cook like something out of the 80s
Getting served vegetables with half a tonne of butter on them
Just what kind of places are you eating in?! Sure, we have places like Denny's and a whole slew of other low-cost, low-quality dining establishments that look dated and serve mediocre food. But if they are the only places available to you then God help you, you landed in the wrong part of town!

Dislikes
Summer Air con electric bills
Winter gas heating bills
Digging your car out of the snow to get to work
Digging the snow of the roof so house doesn't collapse
Sounds like you picked a challenging place to live! If there is one thing to be said for weather in the US, it is that it varies by region! Sounds like you prefer the endless gray skies, the drizzle, and the rain of UK; you could live in Southern Oregon, on the coast, and have an experience similar to England - wet, rainy, never too hot, never too cold. Much of coastal Washington and Oregon are that way, and coastal Northern CA. You'll like the veggies up there too
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
Yeah, I haven't quite figured out the whole 'custom' thing, other than new build homes. Custom new builds seem nice inside, but they're just big housing estates, no trees or character. And where we live, they're too big (and consequently too expensive).
What I find funny about them, they're usually empty inside.

Once the folks have stumped for the place and the large car payment, they've not got any money left over for furniture to fill the place out, certainly with anything decent like antique furniture that might fit, except perhaps the reception area and living room
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

See, I quite like these. I don't know why but when you have a bunch of one dollar bills, it feels like you have more money than you actually do. Something that's good for the morale after the air-con/heating/healthcare costs come out.
It's only handy when your going to a strip club so you can be cheap with your tipping

Carrying around a handful of shrapnel is horrid whatever country your in though.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Sounds like you picked a challenging place to live! If there is one thing to be said for weather in the US, it is that it varies by region! Sounds like you prefer the endless gray skies, the drizzle, and the rain of UK; you could live in Southern Oregon, on the coast, and have an experience similar to England - wet, rainy, never too hot, never too cold. Much of coastal Washington and Oregon are that way, and coastal Northern CA. You'll like the veggies up there too
There's something said for not having $300-400 monthly heating/cooling bills though.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's only handy when your going to a strip club so you can be cheap with your tipping .
Fantastic. It just so happens that Fitchburg has (what looks to be) the world's worst, most downtrodden and disreputable strip club which is conveniently located on Water Street a stones throw from my mother in laws house.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ed=0CBYQnwIwAA

Mind you, it's housed in such a small building that I doubt it could house more than a few punters and I have no idea where the 'performance artists' get changed.

A Dollar would probably be too generous.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Jul 1st 2010 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

All these moans and groans about the USA.How come you still live here?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivDee
Some people don't have a choice you know.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:32 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Some people don't have a choice you know.
I disagree a bit Tracey...

Some people just like a bit of whinging...its very british...aint it..

However...way more complaining going on in the Aussie forums...i dont feel bad at all...(even if its all about the new PM)..
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Dislikes
Healthcare
You dislike Health Care? Whenever I've had it, it's been quite nice.

Expensive, yes, but still quite nice.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
You dislike Health Care? Whenever I've had it, it's been quite nice.

Expensive, yes, but still quite nice.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivDee

We were asked what we like dislike, just giving answers.
Had it been what do/did you like dislike about living in UK it would have bee pretty much a similar thread.
6 of one half dozen of the other.
Neither UK or US is perfect, we live where we end up for many different reasons.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:27 pm
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You should try the one at Shea and 101 in Scottsdale, AZ ... it's like every Home Depot should be - an abundance of staff patrolling the aisles offering to help you! I suspect this is due to the collapse of the housing market here, though, and only a matter of time before they close up shop! But still - good while it lasts!
Alright, I'll join in:

BEST:

The wooden houses they build that are actually affordable! I can actually (one day, again - long story) afford to own a house here, whereas in the UK one has to have either a good inheritance or a penchant for selling one's own body parts simply to get on the housing ladder.

Voluminous amounts of donuts.

All-you-can-eat Chinese restaurants. Like them a lot.

Space. Lots of space outside the cities.

Crunchy Co-Op stores. They're lots of fun. Nice milk.

WORST:

Healthcare costs, as everyone has said, are insane. I'm still paying for the epinephrine shots they gave my baby daughter, who died in 2008. Not trying to be morbid, but that has to change. Go Obama and healthcare reform in general!

Guns, everywhere. They freak me out, along with gun related activities like school shootings...

The surprising ignorance so many people seem to live with every day - regarding things like other countries, other people, languages, punctuation, shape of the earth and other meaningful things...

The lack of decent, affordable chocolate, steak-and-ale pies, cold meat pies of any description and all manner of other tasty foodstuff. Ah, if I could only reach out and pick up a dipped flake at the supermarket checkout...but no...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.