Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best & Worse aspects when living in UK?

Best & Worse aspects when living in UK?

Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best & Worse aspects when living in UK?

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
If you were giving information to a person who is considering moving to England and you wanted to prepare them for what to expect.

What are the best and worse things about living in the UK in terms of economics,culture,education system,dating relations protocal north uk vs south uk,driving and road conditions,food & drink,pub culture vs other social outtings,british opinion and reaction to foreigners living in the uk in the north uk vs south uk,the varying opinions on multi-culturalism in the north uk vs south uk,interracial dating in north vs south,level of anti americanism north vs south uk,level of multi-culturalism acceptance in Scotland vs north uk vs south uk?

Would a Black American stand out like a sore thumb and experience more racism or verbal taunts iyo in Scotland than north uk vs south uk,or based on what you've seen in the past this matter is a none issue?Are there any other realities a person should consider before deciding to live in the UK?BTW,I'm looking at a 12 month split of my time between the States and England.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and hope you can appreciate that these questions represent my desire to learn and not meant to insult
First of all, as a Brit being out of the UK for the past 28 years (and looking forward to moving back) is that, one of the things I admire most about the British is that they welcome people who are have had different experiences. You only have to go to your local pub and have a good conversation to realise this.

Most of the UK bashers on this forum have never lived in a different country for any length of time to realise how good they have it in the UK. Often, in other countries, the grass is not greener, just a different shade.

Just go, fit in, and enjoy what the country and its people have to offer. You will find a country of open minded people that is rich with a culture that was built on not immigrants, but from invasions by the Romans, Germanics, Normans, and Vikings, etc. that have contributed to the country as it is today. More recently, people from the Caribbean, India, and Pakistan, etc. have also made their contribution.

And, of course, if you work, you will get much more holidays than you do in the US and you have continental Europe to explore on your doorstep, and with the time to do it, not like the 2 standard weeks holiday you get in the US.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 12th 2008 at 12:39 am.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in New Jersey and New York city and allthough I'm not a big fan of snowy weather still believe I'm pretty adaptable.So I don't think the weather in the UK would turn me off.
It's not the snow that you need to consider, but the many many days of grey and damp with no sign of the sun.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:50 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I have to dispute this, as I am from the Borders of Scotland, and have NEVER seen myself as any bit English in any way Nothing wrong with the English, but I am not one of them
Hi marmalade ,it was a reference to the old border reiver days .It was a notoriously difficult part of both countries to try and control .It is a well known saying and is one i picked up at the scottish border at carters crossing on the road to jedburgh .
Its a fascinating part of britain and i can just imagine if one of the raiders got caught by the authorities ,he would say what ever was suitable inregards to nationality just to go free .
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by king kong
We was in Coldstream in scotland for the rugby [scotland V england ] and we had a great time in the pub ,it had a great mixture of both .
Mind you the borders are a different breed and as they say '' they are scottish at their will and english by their pleasure '' .
This is totally untrue.
As a Borderer I am most definitely Scottish.Scotland and England were at war for years and the Scottish Borders bore the brunt of it.
During the summer months every Border town has a festival.Partof the ceremony is to remember the Battle of Flodden when England ethnically cleansed the area.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Hi marmalade ,it was a reference to the old border reiver days .It was a notoriously difficult part of both countries to try and control .It is a well known saying and is one i picked up at the scottish border at carters crossing on the road to jedburgh .
Its a fascinating part of britain and i can just imagine if one of the raiders got caught by the authorities ,he would say what ever was suitable inregards to nationality just to go free .
I am well aware of the history, but that was a long time ago, and under different circumstances. You cannot generalise about these things. You need to have been brought up in that area to understand this.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1
This is totally untrue.
As a Borderer I am most definitely Scottish.Scotland and England were at war for years and the Scottish Borders bore the brunt of it.
During the summer months every Border town has a festival.Partof the ceremony is to remember the Battle of Flodden when England ethnically cleansed the area.
Spot on
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:17 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

I am well aware of the history, but that was a long time ago, and under different circumstances. You cannot generalise about these things. You need to have been brought up in that area to understand this.
Fair comment and no offence was intended .
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:04 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Regardling British jerseys worn in Scotland and vice versa, and the conflict that can accure because of it ,does that really have anything to do with team loyalty?Or is it more to do with the historical anger felt by the Scottish for the British because Scotland was annexed hundreds of years ago? Do many Scots recent the British? Do many Brits look down on the Scots and their culture and if so,why do they? Do most Scots want Scotland to succeed from the UK,and would this be a no go subject to discuse while in Scotland?

Thank you guys for your thoughtful post I have learn quite abit from you all.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Does that mean they will hold a grudge forever?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Does that mean they will hold a grudge forever?

Kind of what I was wondering?? I don't think I can think of any nation who has not got horrendous stuff in its past........ Do we need to carry this forward for ever?

And I speak as someone who loves Scotland, for everything it entails, from the countryside to the history....
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:04 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

Regardling British jerseys worn in Scotland and vice versa, and the conflict that can accure because of it ,does that really have anything to do with team loyalty?Or is it more to do with the historical anger felt by the Scottish for the British because Scotland was annexed hundreds of years ago? Do many Scots recent the British? Do many Brits look down on the Scots and their culture and if so,why do they? Do most Scots want Scotland to succeed from the UK,and would this be a no go subject to discuse while in Scotland?

Thank you guys for your thoughtful post I have learn quite abit from you all.
First thing.
Scotland, England, Northern Ireland & Wales are all separate countries that make up the British Isles or Great Britain or the United Kingdom (UK), which is ruled by the monarchy and governed by the British government. When you say British, it means someone from Britain and they could from be any of the countries. Scotland and England joined forces (not by war) 300 years ago in the "Acts Of Union" when the two parliaments joined. Some Scots want to be independant again ,some English want England to be independant again but this is about as basic as I could make it, you're opening a real can of worms here, and I suggest if you are coming over to the UK, it would be the best place to learn about it!!

P.S. It'll give you something to do when you're not chasing the ladies
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:02 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
First thing.
Scotland, England, Northern Ireland & Wales are all separate countries that make up the British Isles or Great Britain or the United Kingdom (UK), which is ruled by the monarchy and governed by the British government. When you say British, it means someone from Britain and they could from be any of the countries. Scotland and England joined forces (not by war) 300 years ago in the "Acts Of Union" when the two parliaments joined. Some Scots want to be independant again ,some English want England to be independant again but this is about as basic as I could make it, you're opening a real can of worms here, and I suggest if you are coming over to the UK, it would be the best place to learn about it!!

P.S. It'll give you something to do when you're not chasing the ladies
When the Act of Union was sign, did the Scots do so because they feared the superior more powerful English nation or was the Union agreed to because the joining was considered muturally benefical? Could not accepting the accord mean war between Scotland and England which Scotland was ill prepared to fight? Did the majority of the Scottish population have the right to decide if they wanted the Union? Or was the Act of Union forced on the Scottish people by the Scottish and British Monarchs?

I know this subject could open a can of worms but I find the relationship between Scotland and the English very interesting.And I'm trying to better understand why so many Scots strongly view them self as Scottish first then secondly British,but never English even after 300 years of shared nationality.

I've heard some Scots say they are English simply because Scotland is legally apart of England.But there have been some very strong opinions from Scots who express that their first loyalty will allways be to Scotland because that is the Scottish ancestral homeland.Many of the English feel insulted and betrayed because of that fact.But is it not natural for the Scottish to feel as they do if they believe their birth right was in a way stolen from them by the Act of Union?

I recall Andy Murray the tennis star saying to a reporter at a news conference to please refer to him as Scottish when speaking of his nationality and to stop calling him English or British because Andy felt insulted by both labels.Andy said he is Scottish, period.I remember several Brits being angered by Andy's comments at the time.

Makes me wonder if some of those historical differences between Scotland and the English are manifesting it self even in simple ways like team loyalty or places where Jerseys are ok to be seen worn with out fights breaking out.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:52 pm

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

When the Act of Union was sign, did the Scots do so because they feared the superior more powerful English nation or was the Union agreed to because the joining was considered muturally benefical? Could not accepting the accord mean war between Scotland and England which Scotland was ill prepared to fight? Did the majority of the Scottish population have the right to decide if they wanted the Union? Or was the Act of Union forced on the Scottish people by the Scottish and British Monarchs?

I know this subject could open a can of worms but I find the relationship between Scotland and the English very interesting.And I'm trying to better understand why so many Scots strongly view them self as Scottish first then secondly British,but never English even after 300 years of shared nationality.

I've heard some Scots say they are English simply because Scotland is legally apart of England.But there have been some very strong opinions from Scots who express that their first loyalty will allways be to Scotland because that is the Scottish ancestral homeland.Many of the English feel insulted and betrayed because of that fact.But is it not natural for the Scottish to feel as they do if they believe their birth right was in a way stolen from them by the Act of Union?

I recall Andy Murray the tennis star saying to a reporter at a news conference to please refer to him as Scottish when speaking of his nationality and to stop calling him English or British because Andy felt insulted by both labels.Andy said he is Scottish, period.I remember several Brits being angered by Andy's comments at the time.

Makes me wonder if some of those historical differences between Scotland and the English are manifesting it self even in simple ways like team loyalty or places where Jerseys are ok to be seen worn with out fights breaking out.
Ha-ha-ha...can of worms mate, a seriously big can of worms!!
For 2 thousand years, everybody fought the Romans, England fought Scotland, England and Scotland fought the Vikings, Scotland fought among themselves, England fought among themselves, Scotland and France fought against England, England fought against France, England fought against Ireland, Scotland fought against England, everyone fought the Spanish, everyone fought the French, everyone fought the Dutch, everyone fought the Germans etc, etc, etc, etc seriously I cannot begin to explain it on a forum like this....ha-ha-ha, sorry for laughing but this is so complex your questions seem very naive....I suggest you get a documentary series on the history of Britain.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:00 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
Well, I am from Aberdeen and we hate Rangers/Celtic just for the sake of it, we don't need religion for that!!
where about in aberdeen are you from? im from torry but stayed in cove b4 we left OH is orginally from kincorth.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:47 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

I doubt to be honest that you have ever heard a scotsman call himself english the idea is laughable in the extreme .
Scotland is a totally differnt country to england and vice versa ,they have different laws in many ways .
They only came together under the union of the crowns which at the time was beneficial to both sides .
Wales is a real bone of contention as technically they are principality of england and thus have come under english law ,this is more than likely why you see no representation of wales on the union flag .
Wales ofcourse is in every way a proud nation just as the scots and english are but never ever call a scotsman ,welshman ,irishman an englishman .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.