Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best & Worse aspects when living in UK?

Best & Worse aspects when living in UK?

Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best & Worse aspects when living in UK?

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
Ha-ha-ha...can of worms mate, a seriously big can of worms!!
For 2 thousand years, everybody fought the Romans, England fought Scotland, England and Scotland fought the Vikings, Scotland fought among themselves, England fought among themselves, Scotland and France fought against England, England fought against France, England fought against Ireland, Scotland fought against England, everyone fought the Spanish, everyone fought the French, everyone fought the Dutch, everyone fought the Germans etc, etc, etc, etc seriously I cannot begin to explain it on a forum like this....ha-ha-ha, sorry for laughing but this is so complex your questions seem very naive....I suggest you get a documentary series on the history of Britain.
YankeemovingAbroad -
As Jumbo_Celcius has stated, the details of that history are so long and far-stretching, that to answer anyone on these difficult questions on here would not give any of it justice. I think that if you want to know more about the history of this area you need to do a LOT of research that would take you a very long time to get to the bottom of........I love history, but my day isn't long enough to explain all of this

No REAL Scottish person would call themselves English, and in turn no REAL English person would call themselves Scottish. They would just be lying. Two separate countries, that are part of Britain. You need to sort out that Britain is made up of 4 countries, and that Scotland is NOT part of England before you get there. Your posts are quite confusing........

Last edited by Marmalade; Apr 13th 2008 at 2:15 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
Kind of what I was wondering?? I don't think I can think of any nation who has not got horrendous stuff in its past........ Do we need to carry this forward for ever?

And I speak as someone who loves Scotland, for everything it entails, from the countryside to the history....
I don't; it's just a part of our history, that's all.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
I believe that the UK are very accepting, in general, of a multi-cultural society. Most people will judge you on how you present yourself through your behaviour, manners and attitude, not on your colour or where you come from.
Maybe in the big cities, not in the small towns.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
First thing.
Scotland, England, Northern Ireland & Wales are all separate countries that make up the British Isles or Great Britain or the United Kingdom (UK), which is ruled by the monarchy and governed by the British government.
In fact they make up the United Kingdom.

Great Britain does not include Northern Ireland (it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

And the British Isles is a geographic expression that incorporates the Republic of Ireland (which was part of the United Kingdom between 1801 and 1922) and the Isle of Man (which is a Crown Dependency and politically British, but has never been part of the United Kingdom).

There is also the term "British Islands" which refers to the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Channel Islands taken as a whole.

When you say British, it means someone from Britain and they could from be any of the countries.
The phrase British generally refers to the United Kingdom unless the context suggests otherwise.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:19 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
YankeemovingAbroad -
As Jumbo_Celcius has stated, the details of that history are so long and far-stretching, that to answer anyone on these difficult questions on here would not give any of it justice. I think that if you want to know more about the history of this area you need to do a LOT of research that would take you a very long time to get to the bottom of........I love history, but my day isn't long enough to explain all of this

No REAL Scottish person would call themselves English, and in turn no REAL English person would call themselves Scottish. They would just be lying. Two separate countries, that are part of Britain. You need to sort out that Britain is made up of 4 countries, and that Scotland is NOT part of England before you get there. Your posts are quite confusing........
Actually yes the Scots in question did call them self English.But of course they are married to Brits and live in London so maybe that is why they feel more British indentified than Scottish.I'm sure there are a whole slew of historical incidents that I have forgotten since my old days at University studying European history.

Not to mention all the other facts that happen which are too numerous to cover on a message board.I do find it interesting that so many Scots hold a negative view of Brits and I wonder how much of that opinion is just Top dog vs Small dog stuff as oppose to historical rivalries.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Actually yes the Scots in question did call them self English.But of course they are married to Brits and live in London so maybe that is why they feel more British indentified than Scottish.I'm sure there are a whole slew of historical incidents that I have forgotten since my old days at University studying European history.

Not to mention all the other facts that happen which are too numerous to cover on a message board.I do find it interesting that so many Scots hold a negative view of Brits and I wonder how much of that opinion is just Top dog vs Small dog stuff as oppose to historical rivalries.
They don't have to say they are English to be more British...they are British.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scottish people ARE British. What do you not understand about this

Last edited by Marmalade; Apr 13th 2008 at 9:58 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:18 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Maybe in the big cities, not in the small towns.
So you believe Brits are quite racist in small towns?I don't know the answer my self but it has been mentioned to me from Black Brits who live in London and Manchester, that when they venture out to areas with less ethnic diversity they see and experience first hand the racial tension.

I don't know if its true and I'd prefer to think the best but some of those Brits who are people of colour believe racism is worse in the UK than America.But they also believe racism is worse in France than the UK.

Again these are people I consider friends who I have met through business and social outtings.Experience has taught them that for Blacks in France racism is felt more economically than socially.Representation for minorities in government in France is no where as wide spread compared to the States or even similar to the smaller levels as in the UK.

Experience has also taught Blacks in Europe that racism is less of a issue socially and economically in Germany compared to the UK(not including London) for Blacks because we are in such small numbers and are seen in more favorable view points than say the Turks who have a much much larger population and are not completely assimulating. I guess the people who do know best are minorities living in the UK and Europe.They live it first hand.To them its real life and not just an opinion.

For sure its a interesting topic and one that will continue to evolve as the demographics change.With so many Poles and other immigrants moving to the UK there are going to be greater shifting and growing minority populations.I wonder if the UK is ready for the changing face that will be representing who the new UK will soon become?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They don't have to say they are English to be more British...they are British.
Yes I understand the legally shared nationality.I was pointing out the difference in why many Scots don't like being thought of as British or for that matter being British identified.Pretty basic stuff when seperating Scottish vs English.You can go on the BBC website and even read it there on the message boards how many Scots want a complete seperation from England.After 300 years of union I find it strange that many Scots are so anti England.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I understand the legally shared nationality.I was pointing out the difference in why many Scots don't like being thought of as British or for that matter being British identified.Pretty basic stuff when seperating Scottish vs English.You can go on the BBC website and even read it there on the message boards how many Scots want a complete seperation from England.After 300 years of union I find it strange that many Scots are so anti England.
But the silent majority of Scots do wish to preserve the United Kingdom.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:52 pm

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

Only those with strong feelings would post on a forum saying they wanted independance, I'm against it and therefore wouldn't bother posting on a website about it, this may lead to a minority appearing like the majority.
You will find propoganda being whipped up in deprived areas blaming the English for the resident's lower standard of living, this in turn will generate support for a nationalist political party. Apathy by voters can lead to these parties gaining ground, look at France about 5 years ago when apathy led to a ultra right wing candidate being able to challenge for presidency!!
As mentioned it's a huge can of worms, and if you are coming to the UK and not working and are really interested in it, I suggest enrolling in a college or uni course in history.

Originally Posted by JAJ
But the silent majority of Scots do wish to preserve the United Kingdom.
Correct.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:16 am
Banned

Which cities in the United Kingdom iyo offers the best of everything?Everything being lower than national cost of living and housing,decent night life with vibrant scene for singles,45 minute drive to a large city,friendly easy going people,good hospitals and education system?And I'm including all of the United Kingdon,Scotland,N Ireland and Wales.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Which cities in the United Kingdom iyo offers the best of everything?Everything being lower than national cost of living and housing,decent night life with vibrant scene for singles,45 minute drive to a large city,friendly easy going people,good hospitals and education system?And I'm including all of the United Kingdon,Scotland,N Ireland and Wales.

Thanks
When you say the United Kingdom we know what you mean. There is no need to explain to Brits that it includes Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

I am not being rude, Yankee, but I wonder if this particular thread has now run its course? Think it will be so much easier for you to do some proper research on Britain's history (if that's what you want to do) and then go over for a holiday - that should answer a few of your most immediate questions!

Good luck...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
I am not being rude, Yankee, but I wonder if this particular thread has now run its course? Think it will be so much easier for you to do some proper research on Britain's history (if that's what you want to do) and then go over for a holiday - that should answer a few of your most immediate questions!

Good luck...
That is sound advice ..

Certain comments and questions make it blindingly obvious that there are basic things about Britain, and living there (it's history aside) that you have no concept of.

Dont take that as citicism, there's no reason without being there you should have. You need to go see for yourself. To go blind I will repeat my advice of heading to London and moving out from there if you wished to.

Perhaps go and ask for some advice on the UK-Yankee board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.