Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best way to travel round usa on b2 visa?

best way to travel round usa on b2 visa?

Old Oct 5th 2004, 6:15 pm
j.c
Just Joined

j.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best way to travel round usa on b2 visa?

Want to drive around the states on 6 month b2 visa, but don;t know the best way. Can I buy a car? Will I need to take a driving test? What about insurance? Hav heard I need to be a permanant resident to buy a car - is this true?
Any advise / help welcomed - thanks
Old Oct 5th 2004, 8:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to travel round usa on b2 visa?

Originally Posted by j.c
Want to drive around the states on 6 month b2 visa, but don;t know the best way. Can I buy a car? Will I need to take a driving test? What about insurance? Hav heard I need to be a permanant resident to buy a car - is this true?
do you know anyone in the country that can buy it and insure it for you?

what you doing with the car when it comes time to leave the USA?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:27 am
j.c
Just Joined

j.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
do you know anyone in the country that can buy it and insure it for you?

what you doing with the car when it comes time to leave the USA?

I thought i'd buy then sell thiinking it would be cheaper than hiring for 6 months ?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:19 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j.c
I thought i'd buy then sell thiinking it would be cheaper than hiring for 6 months ?
How will you insure it? All states and the District of Columbia require liability insurance at a minimum.

There are many people who marry US citizens who have trouble even being added to their spouse's existing insurance policy. So I'm not sure how someone who isn't even a resident here could obtain car insurance -- or, if you can, it'll cost bundles.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
How will you insure it? All states and the District of Columbia require liability insurance at a minimum.

There are many people who marry US citizens who have trouble even being added to their spouse's existing insurance policy. So I'm not sure how someone who isn't even a resident here could obtain car insurance -- or, if you can, it'll cost bundles.

~ Jenney
simple, get someone you know to buy the car in their name.
get them to insure it in their name.
voila
car insured.

jc drives it about for 6 months.
jc goes home
other person sells car after the end of the trip sends proceeds of sale to JC.

sorted.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j.c
Lonely Planet and similar used to talk about a buy/buy scheme out of Florida directed at folks exactly like you. Try nosing around the backpacking travel sites to see what exactly it would be called.
Essentially, you would buy a car/insurance packet in Florida, drive around to your heart's content and the dealer would gurantee a buy-back. The insurance was the key to this being different from any other auto purchase. Likely to be something similar in Calif.
Tried talking to a UK travel agent? They may have leads as well.

You are eligible to drive on your UK license (if you have one) during your visit.