Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best way of transferring money back to Blighty???

Best way of transferring money back to Blighty???

Old Jun 30th 2016, 10:25 pm
Banned

britmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond repute
Question Best way of transferring money back to Blighty???

I have a USA bank account as well as a UK bank account & while the dollar is strong against the pound (thank you Brexit!) l want to change dollars into pounds via a direct bank to bank transfer......
(probably using IBAN, but not 100%)

I seem to remember a European/Scandinavian company that does transfers for very little, but l've forgotten their name!!

Any help appreciated.

Mick
Old Jun 30th 2016, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way of transferring money back to Blighty???

I use Transferwise
Old Jul 1st 2016, 1:00 pm
Banned

britmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond repute

What percentage doew Transferwise charge because the company who's name l've forgotten (duh!) charges 0.5%.......

Also, what part of Bowtun R tha frum mate?
Old Jul 1st 2016, 1:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by boltonreddave
I use Transferwise
see above post
Old Jul 1st 2016, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

I use transferwise, the exchange rate and charges for $1000 was

The rate was 1 USD = 0.7535 GBP, and the fee charged was $9.90.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just used it and it's taking 5 days, before when I used it it took 1-2 days. So allow a little more time if you want to send money at the moment.

Last edited by Asg123; Jul 1st 2016 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 10:22 pm
Banned

How do l involve the bank in the USA with the Brit bank or do Transferwise do all that?
Do l need to use IBAN or not?
Old Jul 5th 2016, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britmick
How do l involve the bank in the USA with the Brit bank or do Transferwise do all that?
Do l need to use IBAN or not?
Transferwise does it all - it's basically an intermediary. You transfer money to its US account and then it takes the corresponding amount out of its UK account and puts that in your UK account.

You'll need your UK bank account and sort code. It's really that easy.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Sir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of doing the same thing and so far it's looking to me that usforex.com is the best deal.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 1:12 pm
Banned

Have any of you guys tried World First (dot com)>>>????

Their rate is 0.0775% commission & there's NO charge on transactions over $10k.

ie; yesterday they would've put 15400 GBP into my UK account
for a $20k deposit.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Worldfirst about 8 times between 6 months and a year ago and have used Transferwise about 10 times in the past 6 months.

For 4-figure amounts Worldfirst charged me 3 times as much as Transferwise, for 5-figure amounts 60-100% more, and for 6-figure I ended up paying a third more than Transferwise would have charged me.

With Worldfirst the rate offered is not linked to the actual (spot) rate (unlike Transferwise where it's 0.5% from the spot rate), so you should watch the spot rate at the moment you're doing the transaction to make sure you're not paying more than you expected. For a 6-figure amount I was looking for a one cent difference and the rate they told me was 1.5 cents from the spot rate at that moment and I gave them a figure 1.0 cents from the spot rate that I was watching at that moment and asked if I could have that rate and they accepted. Even then it was more than Transferwise would have been (0.75 cents). (With Transferwise I've checked it's always been close to 0.5% from the spot rate).

So Transferwise is better than Worldfirst but Worldfirst is definitely better than the banks.

I haven't used Worldfirst in the last 6 months so I don't know if it's different now.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 2:02 pm
Banned

That's REALLY good to know Asg, thanks for that info, & it's just what l need to know................& thanks to all the previous posters as well!!!!