Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best way to transfer money -UK-> US

Best way to transfer money -UK-> US

Old Apr 6th 2019, 7:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to transfer money -UK-> US

Originally Posted by MMcD
The CEO is Russian what does anyone expect.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My friendly WF manager asked me to warn my assignees not to use WF for international transfers since the exchange rate is so crap.

Good point...although I send my funds in USD. So only $45.
(And I invoice the $45 to them.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 6th 2019 at 7:34 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssk2506
Hi all,

settling into my new life in the US and the banking system has been the most tricky to get my head around. Even though I work in finance, retail banking seems to be a decade behind us and I've gotten nowhere discussing international transfers at citibank and chase. The representatives seem to be clueless about charges and rates. Can someone who does this often please let me know what the cheapest way to transfer a sum between 20,000-30,000. I've had a look at transferwise which has better rates than the banks but it charges a 0.35% transfer fee on most transfers. this seems extortionate. has anyone tried to transfer between a cash trading/brokerage account e.g. fidelity/interactive brokers from a UK to US account and avoid these costs?

Thanks in advance.
What you see as extortion I see as giving money away (to some clients), and I don't understand how they can afford to do it- the last couple of times I've transferred money from the UK to the US they've charged 0.35%, as you've said, and they've guaranteed the rate for 72 hours. Someone on here posted that they regularly start a transfer but only go through with it if the rate shifts sufficiently for them to make a profit at Transferwise's expense- and it only takes a half a cent shift.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I find these sites helpful in seeing the effect of the combination of fees and exchange rates:
https://www.mycurrencytransfer.com/m...o-USA/5000-GBP
https://www.finder.com/international-money-transfers
Old Apr 8th 2019, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wirksworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mid Atlantic, these links are really helpful - what a variation in end amounts received with Transferwise doing best on the lists. I checked what you get with a revolute card - If you are still in the UK and moving over like I am . For £1000 you get $1299.82 with Transferwise and $1304.30 with Revolute - so very similar unless the sums involved are higher £100K gets you $129,487 with Transferwise and $130,430 which is more significant. What I now need to research is what risk is there during the transfer process!
Old Apr 8th 2019, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wirksworth
Thanks Mid Atlantic, these links are really helpful - what a variation in end amounts received with Transferwise doing best on the lists. I checked what you get with a revolute card - If you are still in the UK and moving over like I am . For £1000 you get $1299.82 with Transferwise and $1304.30 with Revolute - so very similar unless the sums involved are higher £100K gets you $129,487 with Transferwise and $130,430 which is more significant. What I now need to research is what risk is there during the transfer process!
When you get to larger sums (like £100k) you should check with your main line bank and ask for the dealer rate.

You need to be aware of this re Revolut: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47751945
Old Apr 8th 2019, 5:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I find these sites helpful in seeing the effect of the combination of fees and exchange rates:
https://www.mycurrencytransfer.com/m...o-USA/5000-GBP
https://www.finder.com/international-money-transfers
I looked at the mycurrencytransfer and noticed they have the transferwise fee seemed too high for my regular transfer. So I doubled checked with transferwise and the fee is indeed too much. In fact transferwise have reduced their fees.

The fee is now 0.34% (instead of 0.4%), plus 58p a transaction (instead of 80p).
Old May 26th 2019, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

isi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a lot of research into transferring money before I left uk. Banks were far too expensive, the rate they give is appalling. I'm using Halo Financial. Like others they give on the current live rate and you can lock in your money to get the best rate. If they rate goes up you get that rate but if it drops you still get your locked in rate. I would advise checking those types of transfer companies to get best deal. Just make sure they are governed by the financial conduct authority to protect your money. No fees but a tiny deduction from the rate. Think my last quote was less than .1 of a cent per pound.
Old May 26th 2019, 4:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isi16
I did a lot of research into transferring money before I left uk. Banks were far too expensive, the rate they give is appalling. I'm using Halo Financial. Like others they give on the current live rate .....
Er, banks will give you a much better rate the rate they quote for small transfers. If you're sending £50,000 or more (and I think I heard as little as £25,000 mentioned recently) you need to ask your bank for a "dealing desk rate" (use those words), and depending on the size of your transfer you will get, or close to, the rate that companies get for large transfers.
Old May 26th 2019, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

isi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski I did go to my bank first and asked for the rate using those words as I had seen it on another forum. My experience is I'm getting a better rate using Halo Financial. They also gave a lot of useful, checkable information and advice. I used a figure of £100,000 to compare. If you got better from a bank great stuff 😁
Old May 26th 2019, 1:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski I did go to my bank first and asked for the rate using those words as I had seen it on another forum. My experience is I'm getting a better rate using Halo Financial. ....
Well the rate moves minute by minute throughout the day, and a move of 1c or more in a day, or even a few hours is quite common, so unless you are comparing rates at the same time it is impossible to say for certain whether any one bank or remitter is giving a better rate than another.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

You can- by asking what the percentage they deduct from the live rate and if they take fees or not. I'm happy with the company I'm using and that's all you need really. Expert advice, check the company out and what they are telling you and know the costs!
Old May 27th 2019, 4:40 pm

You can- by asking what the percentage they deduct from the live rate . ....
It doesn't work like that with a dealing desk rate. Also, there is no such thing as the "live" rate, it is called the spot rate, sometimes called the mid rate.
Old May 27th 2019, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

raceman is on a distinguished road

Try XE trade

https://www.xe.com/xemoneytransfer/us/
Old May 28th 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by raceman
They used to be competitive, and I have used them myself, but everything I have heard is that they are now 1c-2c off the best available rates against GBP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.