Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best way to ship possessions from UK to USA?

best way to ship possessions from UK to USA?

Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

txbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: best way to ship possessions from UK to USA?

thanks chartreuse and dougster, useful to know about the houston factor - i'm headed dallas way so may have the same issue as you chartreuse. the quotes i have got so far are also around the 4-5k mark for a 20ft container but it's hard to get the precise figure until i finally commit (once we sell the house....). also i have seen a few horror stories on the message boards - really hard to know who to trust. i just wish the same sort of economics that seem to be affecting ebay etc affected these shippers the same. why did we pick now to move! tell you what though, i'll not be buying any brand new stuff in dallas based on the amounts i have been getting from ebay from selling my stuff here. had much more joy on gumtree though (www.gumtree.com) - no fees, collection only, no bad experiences so far. still working out how it fits with ebay given that they own gumtree, guess it's that you get reputation points on ebay and not on gumtree.
thanks again
J
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

muddy mudguard is an unknown quantity at this point

Well txbound - let me know how you get on.

I myself am moving to Texas, Houston - hopefully at the end of May of this year.

All I'm waiting for now is the actual interview...had medical etc... and am also looking to move some stuff. No items of furniture (well a couple of small pieces) but mostly pictures, mirrors, etc...

If you find a decent movers - please let me know.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join in on this, not moving to Texas but Missouri, no furniture or large items, just personal belongings like clothes, photos, small items, plus computer. I'll be doing some research if i find anything i'll post back and let you all know!

good luck to everyone with their visas and moving etc x

heres a website thats been mentioned a few times:
http://www.movingscam.com/

and heres two threads from before with some good answers in:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nal+belongings

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514289

Last edited by PepsiChic; Mar 18th 2009 at 3:34 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

HSHMN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by txbound
Hi
any advice on shipping from the UK to the USA? I am moving from london to Texas in the next few months and want to know what the score is in terms of how much it costs, best way to do it, what not to bother taking etc. It's hard to find a price per item, so i can weigh up for example whether or not i should take my dining room table or a sofa.

Anyone who has done this and has advice based on their experience?

thanks
Hi
We had all our move paid for by company - they used John Mason Int Movers in UK and Barrett International Movers over here - (Minnesota)
Fantastic service from both of them, think they do it by weight and size of container.. the UK guy estimated a move we did at around 10k (GBP)- 40ft container - complete packing and unpacking service, taking apart furniture and putting back together etc where requred..
Really good service tho, took 3 weeks from door to door - which they said was exceptionally quick - usually about 6 -8 weeks - but like I said company paid for it!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:22 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Depend a lot on what visa you are coming on...
You may end up not being here that long ..
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by muddy mudguard
Well txbound - let me know how you get on.

I myself am moving to Texas, Houston - hopefully at the end of May of this year.

All I'm waiting for now is the actual interview...had medical etc... and am also looking to move some stuff. No items of furniture (well a couple of small pieces) but mostly pictures, mirrors, etc...

If you find a decent movers - please let me know.

My fiance used Britannia based up in the North East of England and they were brilliant, they collected it and packed it (only personal possessions) but it was only a door to port service they provided, it was all custom cleared in the US so all his company had to do was arrange for someone from the US side to get it collected from the airport and delivered to his new home
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:40 am
Just Joined

txbound is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke with the British Association of Removers who mentioned the following BAR members, all of which are BAR Overseas Members too (for move from London to Texas):

1. Pickfords – 020 7736 2381

2. Robinsons International Removals Ltd – 020 8208 8484

3. Interdean Ltd – 020 8961 4141

4. Anglo Pacific International Plc – 020 8965 1234

5. Team Relocations Ltd – 020 8955 1365

haven't got quotes from them yet - will feed back later
best
J
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:40 am
Banned

andrew4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
any advice on shipping from the UK to the USA? I am moving from london to Texas in the next few months and want to know what the score is in terms of how much it costs, best way to do it, what not to bother taking etc. It's hard to find a price per item, so i can weigh up for example whether or not i should take my dining room table or a sofa.

Anyone who has done this and has advice based on their experience?

thanks
Doree bonner have a regular groupage service to USA . Maybe worth giving them a call. there website is www.doreebonner.co.uk
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:13 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I would say, bring everything. We got rid of so much stuff before we came out, and its taken me ages to replace it.

We got rid of sofas from our conservatory at home, thinking we wouldn't be able to afford to rent a place out here with 2 living areas. Wrong. I then spent 8 months looking at the 80's looking sofas in the furniture stores, or the highly inflated $ 'modern' sofas, before I finally found something I both liked and could afford.

We ended up buying some things out of necessity that I wouldn't have considered buying at home, just because we couldn't wait months to find something we really liked. I was amazed at how old fashioned furniture is out here.

In CA any furniture you give away to charity is tax deductable, so if it fits in your container bring it and give it away here when you have replaced it.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
In CA any furniture you give away to charity is tax deductable, so if it fits in your container bring it and give it away here when you have replaced it.
Deductible on your CA income taxes? It is deductible on federal income taxes no matter which state you live in.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:00 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Deductible on your CA income taxes? It is deductible on federal income taxes no matter which state you live in.
I couldn't speak for the rest of the USA, so didn't want to give false info.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:31 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I couldn't speak for the rest of the USA, so didn't want to give false info.
I've had to file federal taxes here for 25 years so - am certain about the charitable deduction, though it's best to get a receipt for fair market value when you donate, and make sure the charity qualifies.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

thanks chartreuse and dougster, useful to know about the houston factor - i'm headed dallas way so may have the same issue as you chartreuse.
We moved from Reading to the 'burbs of Houston in 2006 and used 1st Move International Ltd. I cannot say enough good things about them!

I packed everything myself (both to save cost and because I have enough experience at packing that I felt confident in my ability! ) The costs were broken down in detail so we had no surprises on the other end (US Customs clearance charges, paperwork, etc) Our total bill for 9.50 cubic metres (3 pallets) came to £2500.

I even watched them load our items on the pallets and shrink-wrap them at our house, so I felt some relief at that. They even handled booking the delivery company in Houston.

Everything arrived safely and without any added charges on this end.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

thanks chartreuse and dougster, useful to know about the houston factor - i'm headed dallas way so may have the same issue as you chartreuse. the quotes i have got so far are also around the 4-5k mark for a 20ft container but it's hard to get the precise figure until i finally commit (once we sell the house....). also i have seen a few horror stories on the message boards - really hard to know who to trust. i just wish the same sort of economics that seem to be affecting ebay etc affected these shippers the same. why did we pick now to move! tell you what though, i'll not be buying any brand new stuff in dallas based on the amounts i have been getting from ebay from selling my stuff here. had much more joy on gumtree though (www.gumtree.com) - no fees, collection only, no bad experiences so far. still working out how it fits with ebay given that they own gumtree, guess it's that you get reputation points on ebay and not on gumtree.
thanks again
J
We paid about £4000 6 months ago for a 20ft sole use container from London to Mississippi, the POE was New Orleans. They offered sole use for the same price that others were offering for a shared container.

That was with Dorree Bonner, we had good service both ends.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:25 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Interesting looking at some of the information. We're moving from Reading, Berkshire to Ohio or Virgina....not quire sure yet - out on a recci mid/end of April....

Will watch this with interest.

Harry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.