Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best way to ship heavy parcels to the UK

Best way to ship heavy parcels to the UK

Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best way to ship heavy parcels to the UK

My brother (who lives in the UK) wants me to purchase a battery-powered saw from Home Depot here in the US and ship it to him. It's the only model the manufacturer does not sell in the UK. There are no batteries included and none needed as he already has batteries for it - so I won't have any issues with shipping batteries. I suspect the parcel I will be sending will weigh about 15 lbs and have approx dimensions of 20 in x 18 in x 10 in. Does anyone know the most economical way to ship this?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to ship heavy parcels to the UK

Try sendmybag.com?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dewalt, Milwaukee?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Dewalt, Milwaukee?
Makita, Japan
Old Nov 6th 2018, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at my usual suppliers finding one that would ship internationally would see the best bet but easier said than done.

Otherwise it will be the usual suspects but not likely to be cheap and he will have customs at his end.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

vindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nice

Your brother could use a forwarding service like SkypaxUS.com to buy US goods and have them shipped to the UK. And similarly a UK forwarder like Skypax.com can ship goods from UK to US (or elsewhere). *
This shipping rates may or may not be as good as you can get by sending directly, depending on weight and size and your free labour in purchasing and packing the goods, but it might be a good option.

* I declare an interest on the above services, and providing this to be helpful. Other forwarders are available.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 4:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Makita, Japan
They appear to have Makita saws on Amazon -- you might want to check if they are eligible for their international shipping program. It would save you a lot of hassle.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 8:16 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a nightmare if he should need a warranty repair on it. He'd need to ship it to you, for you to ship it to the US repair depot to get it fixed, then ship it back to him.

Without the batteries, you can't even test it before sending it to him!

Perhaps a different model saw is a better idea?
Old Nov 11th 2018, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
They appear to have Makita saws on Amazon -- you might want to check if they are eligible for their international shipping program. It would save you a lot of hassle.
Thay are not.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Sounds like a nightmare if he should need a warranty repair on it. He'd need to ship it to you, for you to ship it to the US repair depot to get it fixed, then ship it back to him.

Without the batteries, you can't even test it before sending it to him!

Perhaps a different model saw is a better idea?
He really wants the saw and is prepared to take a risk on warranty repair. He can pay someone in the UK to fix it if there is an issue. I was able to test it with a neighbor's batteries before shipping it.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I ended up using parcelmonkey for shipping - a broker that uses various shipping companies. It's a bit like Expedia for shipping. I selected DHL International as my shipper and was able to get a much cheaper price than if I had used DHL myself.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up using parcelmonkey for shipping - a broker that uses various shipping companies. It's a bit like Expedia for shipping. I selected DHL International as my shipper and was able to get a much cheaper price than if I had used DHL myself.
Hope you filled out the appropriate TOR documentation or it will be held at the shipping port. Some companies don't know about TOR
Old Nov 13th 2018, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually I used Transglobal Express (transglobal.co.uk) although I still ended up with DHL International as the shipping company. The package was picked up at my house yesterday (Monday) by DHL and has already cleared customs at East Midlands airport in the UK today (Tuesday). It is supposed to be delivered to my brother in London on Thursday. Pretty good service if that happens.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 13th 2018 at 1:28 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jjmb
Hope you filled out the appropriate TOR documentation or it will be held at the shipping port. Some companies don't know about TOR
Isn't that for Transfer of Residence? I'm not moving to the UK. I'm just shipping something to my brother who lives there.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that for Transfer of Residence? I'm not moving to the UK. I'm just shipping something to my brother who lives there.
you are right. Might still need to pay customs though if its worth more than 135GBP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.