Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best Way to send Passport back to UK?

Best Way to send Passport back to UK?

Old Aug 17th 2017, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Aline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Way to send Passport back to UK?

I am renewing my passport online for the first time but need to mail my old passport back to the UK.

Any advice on the securest way to do this? Is there a USPS registered international mail service?

Thanks for any advice
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Way to send Passport back to UK?

Originally Posted by Aline
Any advice on the securest way to do this?
Yes - use a courier rather than USPS.

Ian
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I am renewing my passport online for the first time but need to mail my old passport back to the UK.

Any advice on the securest way to do this? Is there a USPS registered international mail service?

Thanks for any advice
UPS ?$60.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice
I used USPS and it was fine, but not all services track all the way to the destination. These do:

Priority Mail International:
Small Flat Rate Box
Flat Rate Envelopes (excluding Flat Rate Gift Card Envelope)

First Class International Package Service:
Thick envelope
Package
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - use a courier rather than USPS.

Ian
There doesn't seem to be a courier company here in Hawaii that ships internationally...
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all. I know that USPS provides tracking but I want more than that. Guess I will ask the post office...
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
UPS ?$60.
UPS or Fedex from Hawaii to the UK would be phenomenally expensive! And to be honest, I haven't found either of them to be more reliable than USPS..
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:25 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

UPS or Fedex from Hawaii to the UK would be phenomenally expensive! And to be honest, I haven't found either of them to be more reliable than USPS..
I just checked online and it costs no more than sending it from where I live in Texas. The cheapest rate takes 5 days for you in Hawaii and 4 days for me.

The service is about $10 more than the usps service. I've used both services but was not able to track the usps package all the way to durham, in spite of usps telling me I could.

FEDEX was more expensive when I checked this all out inApril.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure why you have formed that opinion. The reported issues with using USPS internationally, both outward and inwards is that you are relying on tracking that has a hand-off between USPS and, say, the Royal Mail, and if something goes missing it is likely because the tracking link broke at the hand-off. Several instances have been reported on BE of the sending organization insisting that they handed it over, and the receiving organization denying any record of having received it.

However with UPS and FedEx your packet is handled by the same organization from end to end (some courier deliveries in the US are subcontracted to USPS), so you can see the tracking every step of the way, and, for me at least, I get comfort from seeing that tracking data. I think it is definitely worth the extra $10 that PF noted as the cost over USPS.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 19th 2017 at 3:42 am.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Don't scrimp on sending your passport! I sent mine with Fed-Ex, $60. As others have said, it's best to use a courier rather than the postal service.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:25 am
Austin. TX.

As Pulaski says. I have sent 2 passports back via USPS and 1 was tracked all the way.,1 passport disappeared off the system. In April I had to renew 2 of our passports so used UPS.
The passports are sent back to the USA using dhl. You might check them out.

Also, please note that online quotes for USPS will give you 1lb as the smallest size but for us with 2 passports plus photos and paperwork the weight was under .5 lb so it was cheaper.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Aug 19th 2017 at 7:58 am.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I always use UPS for documents as mentioned it can be tracked at every stage.
FedEx and DHL are fine, I think FedEx is a little slower from Italy.
In any case I would never use USPS.