British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best way to quickly mail 5 pound box to England? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-way-quickly-mail-5-pound-box-england-874501/)

HannahGreen Mar 18th 2016 4:18 am

Best way to quickly mail 5 pound box to England?

Hi everyone -

I need to send a bunch of documents to arrive in England in a week or so. All together, they weigh around 5 pounds. What is the best way to do this? I see the USPS envelopes are limited to 4 pounds, and this stack is about 3 inches tall - not sure it will fit in an international mail envelope.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Pulaski Mar 18th 2016 4:40 am

Re: Best way to quickly mail 5 pound box to England?

FedEx has several options at differences prices and delivery times, as does UPS. Both have tracking numbers so you can see exactly where the packet is and know when it was delivered. Neither are cheap, but their lowest cost services are not much more than regular the USPS/Royal Mail post, but IMO a lot more reliable.

If you have access to a document scanner with a feeder you could scan the documents and e-mail them. I doubt that it would be cost effective to pay FedEx Kinkos, The UPS Store, or a competing document processing company to scan the documents for you, but it would certainly be faster than sending the physical documents.

Noorah101 Mar 18th 2016 5:27 am

Pulaski has a good idea. The only original needs to be the I-134, so you can send that in a Fed Ex or UPS envelope.

Since everything else can be a copy, you can scan and email it, and have it printed in the UK.

Rene

HannahGreen Mar 18th 2016 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11899039)
FedEx has several options at differences prices and delivery times, as does UPS. Both have tracking numbers so you can see exactly where the packet is and know when it was delivered. Neither are cheap, but their lowest cost services are not much more than regular the USPS/Royal Mail post, but IMO a lot more reliable.

If you have access to a document scanner with a feeder you could scan the documents and e-mail them. I doubt that it would be cost effective to pay FedEx Kinkos, The UPS Store, or a competing document processing company to scan the documents for you, but it would certainly be faster than sending the physical documents.

What a great idea! Time to troubleshoot why my sheet fed scanner is not working! Thanks!

FatFrank Mar 18th 2016 12:29 pm

Yeah, I always used FedEx for important stuff. Somehow seems more reassuring than USPS..

HannahGreen Mar 18th 2016 10:25 pm

Gave up trying to troubleshoot why printer won't feed and just sent the whole package by FedEx. 4.75 pounds... $159 for priority, $162 for express. My fiance will get it monday. Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Noorah101 Mar 18th 2016 11:19 pm

Wow, expensive!

Rene

md95065 Mar 19th 2016 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11899841)
Wow, expensive!

... but, in the overall scheme of things, not that much really ...

HannahGreen Mar 19th 2016 2:04 am

;)

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11899896)
... but, in the overall scheme of things, not that much really ...

I think my fiance is worth it! :)

cautiousjon Mar 19th 2016 7:20 pm

I sent a 2 lb package to the UK last week and it had to arrive in a week or less, so the only option via USPS was their 'Global Express Guaranteed' (GXG) service. This is just FedEx's Express service, but processed and resold by USPS. The GXG service has a guarantee that the postage cost will be refunded if the package doesn't arrive at its destination by the guaranteed delivery date, provided that it doesn't get held up in Customs on either end.

My package should have arrived in the UK last Wednesday and it didn't arrive until Thursday because USPS didn't give FedEx the package in time. I called USPS and after 20 minutes of being passed to four different people, I eventually spoke to the right person who processed a refund request and I will be issued a check for the full postage cost ($99.55). :D

ldollard Mar 23rd 2016 1:02 am

Originally Posted by HannahGreen (Post 11899816)
Gave up trying to troubleshoot why printer won't feed and just sent the whole package by FedEx. 4.75 pounds... $159 for priority, $162 for express. My fiance will get it monday. Thanks everyone for suggestions!

omfg you could have bought a scanner for less. :sarcasm: