British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   best way to post items to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-way-post-items-us-530239/)

pompeyjohn Apr 18th 2008 11:10 am

best way to post items to the US

Hello there,

First time poster, long time reader. This appears to be an excellent forum.

I have a quick question. I [uk citizen] am emmigrating to the US this summer with my wife [US citizen] and we have several hundred CDs to send over. I have removed all the cases, so now they are just discs and booklets.

Is there a good way to send these over in the post? Perhaps if I split them into >2KG packages?

We are not sending anything freight, just taking checked luggage on the plane. A kind friend in the US has agreed to store them until we arrive. A signed for delivery would be best.

Thanks in advance and very kind regards,

John

chicagojlo Apr 18th 2008 2:17 pm

Re: best way to post items to the US

You should check what it would cost to send them as cargo with an excess baggage company. Depending on the weight it could be cheaper than regular mail.

Lord Lionheart Apr 18th 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pompeyjohn (Post 6227460)
Hello there,

First time poster, long time reader. This appears to be an excellent forum.

I have a quick question. I [uk citizen] am emmigrating to the US this summer with my wife [US citizen] and we have several hundred CDs to send over. I have removed all the cases, so now they are just discs and booklets.

Is there a good way to send these over in the post? Perhaps if I split them into >2KG packages?

We are not sending anything freight, just taking checked luggage on the plane. A kind friend in the US has agreed to store them until we arrive. A signed for delivery would be best.

Thanks in advance and very kind regards,

John

I've found a Post Office is usually the best place.
These places are easy to spot as they are quite common on most British High streets, these places have a large cylindrical red marker outside which is about 5 feet tall ( called a post box). Usually occupied by a very old deaf lady and her sister who smell of urine and shuffle around looking for her spectacles whilst weighing out stale Everton mints from glass jars.

Good luck

Optimus Prime Apr 18th 2008 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 6228531)
I've found a Post Office is usually the best place.
These places are easy to spot as they are quite common on most British High streets, these places have a large cylindrical red marker outside which is about 5 feet tall ( called a post box). Usually occupied by a very old deaf lady and her sister who smell of urine and shuffle around looking for her spectacles whilst weighing out stale Everton mints from glass jars.

Good luck

You're abit out of touch mate. Nowadays the post office here are trying the utmost to disguise their premises, even going as far as hiding them in the corner of supermarkets. The old dears have also been replaced by Asians with a piss poor command of the English language and the inability to ever look even slightly happy.

Ash UK/US Apr 18th 2008 3:30 pm

Whenever my sister sends me something more than a couple of pounds she uses...
www.parcel2go.com/

USA / Canada Delivery Up to 10kg £37.99 - FedEx
USA / Canada Delivery Up to 25kg £64.99 - FedEx
USA / Canada Delivery Up to 70kg £134 - FedEx

Last package she sent took 3 days door to door delivery.

britvic Apr 18th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime (Post 6228566)
You're abit out of touch mate. Nowadays the post office here are trying the utmost to disguise their premises, even going as far as hiding them in the corner of supermarkets. The old dears have also been replaced by Asians with a piss poor command of the English language and the inability to ever look even slightly happy.

I'm sorry to say that is also what I saw.

scotch03 Apr 18th 2008 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime (Post 6228566)

Having to serve you might make them a little unhappy.

Optimus Prime Apr 18th 2008 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 6228694)
Having to serve you might make them a little unhappy.

and why would that be?

scotch03 Apr 18th 2008 4:29 pm

The comment about Asians with poor English was a little rough. And I doubt working in the Post Office is the most exhilarating of experiences.

britvic Apr 18th 2008 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 6228898)
The comment about Asians with poor English was a little rough. And I doubt working in the Post Office is the most exhilarating of experiences.

PC brigade :rolleyes:

Optimus Prime Apr 18th 2008 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 6228898)

You assume it to be "rough" in what way? if you are trying to say you thought it was racist then stop fannying around and say you thought it was racist.

ian-c Apr 18th 2008 4:57 pm

i thought the badly speaking sad asians had replaced the 2 old smelly women outside the p.o who for some reason are in the post box ??

guess i better go back and re-read ;)