Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best way to call UK mobile/landlines from USA

Best way to call UK mobile/landlines from USA

Old May 10th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to call UK mobile/landlines from USA

Originally Posted by jmood
I don't get it. So why am I (and I presume millions of others) paying much much more per month for a limited number of minutes per month, on a contract, to AT&T. I mean, this is not a rhetorical question. I'm really asking, is there any benefit to the contract phones?
In terms of actual service, not really...basically the benefit to having a contract phone is that usually can get a high end handset for cheap (i.e. they heavily discount the phone on the proviso you stick with the contract for one or two years). With PAYG, you will pay full price for the handset (or supply your own).
Old May 11th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dazey
How will it work using something like rebtel (or any of these, really) if you have to call the toll number of a UK business? We're moving back to the States next month, and have some services still under contract with Sky (which I'm expecting they won't let me pay out the remainder of the contract and close the account, based on others' experiences), and will be keeping a UK bank account. I imagine we may have to call one of those two before we get set up in a house with a home phone and calling plan. What would be the charges to call one of those companies that charge something like 10p a minute in the UK? The same 10p, or more because you are using a mobile?
0845 numbers seem to be charged as a mobile phone so Rebtel charge about 15c/min. If it is a normal landline number it would be 1c/min. 0800 numbers I guess are free?? They are free via Skype phone!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

Tel3 from our landline, Google voice from mobile, but best way to call UK mobiles is with Easycallback.com
around 3c/min, with 5c connection charge.
only thing is that it's a callback service, but reliable and good quality.