British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best US Mobile Network for calling UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-us-mobile-network-calling-uk-933147/)

Robgdunn Jun 11th 2020 3:09 pm

Best US Mobile Network for calling UK

Hello

I have just landed in the US and looking to sign up for a us mobile phone network.

Key for me is the best value cost options for phoning UK landline numbers when I have to deal with my UK "stuff".

Also as I am currently self isolating for x2 weeks can I do this remotely.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

tht Jun 11th 2020 3:46 pm

Re: Best US Mobile Network for calling UK

Originally Posted by Robgdunn (Post 12865229)
Hello

I have just landed in the US and looking to sign up for a us mobile phone network.

Key for me is the best value cost options for phoning UK landline numbers when I have to deal with my UK "stuff".

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Reception is not great, but since I am mostly on WiFi I moved to Altice mobile, I have Optimum so I pay about $21 a month with tax:

https://alticemobile.com/

It not only includes calls to UK landlines, but also mobiles and 34 other countries + included roaming.

https://alticemobile.com/plan/international

They use ATT and Sprint network... but data is 2nd priority so can be slow on crowded networks, but it is unlimited. I stream TV on it when on trains etc (well when I was on trains).

sim was sent to me at home so that’s no issue.

wtkp0u Jun 11th 2020 4:54 pm

Google Fi ? https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

Google Voice and Skype are also good options. I use Skype on my phone to call UK numbers

Pulaski Jun 11th 2020 5:17 pm

Choosing the best mobile serivce in the US is a minefield at best, so I would, and indeed did, choose a mobile carrier that suited my needs and budget, then signed up with a separate international calling service, in my case onesuite.com, (Skype would be another option) which has a local connection number and then I pay about 1½¢/min to call the UK, with the added advantage that I can not only use the calling service calling from my cell phone, but I can also use it from home on my VoIP line (I have really crappy cell service at home) or from the office, my in-laws house etc.

DexterBerkeley Jun 11th 2020 5:43 pm

I use Skype for UK calls. I have a subscription that's $2.99 a month for unlimited landline UK calls and works well. For years it's been fine both using WiFi and also on cellular data from my iPhone.

chawkins99 Jun 11th 2020 6:09 pm

My wife has StraightTalk (available through Walmart) for $45/month unlimited everything, then a global-calling add-on for $10 which allows calling to the UK for 1c per minute.

The add-on doesn't expire. We usually call UK 2-3 times a month and the add-on usually lasts us 6 months or more.

capin Jun 11th 2020 7:06 pm

We use Spectrum. Like other posters we are usually on wifi and might use a little bit of data outside for google maps or something.

Spectrum have 2 packages. $45/month unlimited or $14/month unltd calls and txts + 1GB and $14 per GB thereafter.

International and roaming rates are really competitive, The only caveat is that you need to have home broadband with them to qualify,

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ab34ee00ca.png

tom169 Jun 11th 2020 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by wtkp0u (Post 12865271)
Google Fi ? https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

Google Voice and Skype are also good options. I use Skype on my phone to call UK numbers

Happy with Google fi. Free calls to UK.

SanDiegogirl Jun 11th 2020 8:00 pm

Google Fi..... ....... brilliant anywhere you go.....

petitefrancaise Jun 11th 2020 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12865372)

+1

tht Jun 11th 2020 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12865372)

Last time I got a sim to test for an LTE backup modem the cheapest unlimited data plan was $70 a month, which is right up there with all the big 3 networks.

I think the cheapest mobile solution for calls to the UK might be the plan I had to keep my UK number alive. That was a three.co.uk PAYG sim with free roaming. I think it was 3p a min, 2p a text and 1p a MB for data even when roaming in the US and no monthly fee. I think if you tried to use it full time you would get shut off, but for occasional UK calls it may work.

capin Jun 11th 2020 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12865423)
Last time I got a sim to test for an LTE backup modem the cheapest unlimited data plan was $70 a month, which is right up there with all the big 3 networks.

I think the cheapest mobile solution for calls to the UK might be the plan I had to keep my UK number alive. That was a three.co.uk PAYG sim with free roaming. I think it was 3p a min, 2p a text and 1p a MB for data even when roaming in the US and no monthly fee. I think if you tried to use it full time you would get shut off, but for occasional UK calls it may work.

Had my Three pay monthly SIM over here for the past 5 years and still alive and kicking. It stays in the house connected to wifi in an old iphone. I only really use it for 2 factor authentication and nearly all my calls to the UK are factime/whatsapp.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 12th 2020 11:51 am

Currently using RedPocket, Whats App to make calls and I also have a Rebtel account.

Robgdunn Jun 14th 2020 11:13 am

Hello All

Many thanks to everyone for all their help and feedback

penguinsix Jun 14th 2020 12:14 pm

My first priority, as others have hinted, is get the best service for you in your new location. Find a carrier with good reception to your home and office. For example in my location I cannot get good Verizon service (1 to no bars) but can get great T Mobile (4 bars). Given the size of the us and the sprawl of most suburban communities you’ll want a strong signal first. Ask some neighbors or colleagues who they are using and how their reception is in your office or neighborhood.

tom169 Jun 14th 2020 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 12866764)
My first priority, as others have hinted, is get the best service for you in your new location. Find a carrier with good reception to your home and office. For example in my location I cannot get good Verizon service (1 to no bars) but can get great T Mobile (4 bars). Given the size of the us and the sprawl of most suburban communities you’ll want a strong signal first. Ask some neighbors or colleagues who they are using and how their reception is in your office or neighborhood.

Great and interesting point. When I visit the Appalachian mountains in NC the only service out there is Verizon. T mobile / Fi is fairly inexistent.

capin Jun 14th 2020 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12866828)
Great and interesting point. When I visit the Appalachian mountains in NC the only service out there is Verizon. T mobile / Fi is fairly inexistent.

Down here near Lake Norman, T-Mobile and Sprint are awful. The only options are Verizion, AT&T or associated MVNOs.

jupiteruk Aug 15th 2020 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Robgdunn (Post 12865229)
Hello

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Look at Red Pocket mobile, they unlimited calls to the UK landline and mobile, they also offer Verizon, tmobile or ATT coverage. I paid about $205 for the year for unlimited calls, text and 8gb lte (slowed to 128kb after 8gb).

Glasgow Girl Aug 15th 2020 4:37 pm

[QUOTE=Pulaski;12865284]Choosing the best mobile serivce in the US is a minefield at best, so I would, and indeed did, choose a mobile carrier that suited my needs and budget, then signed up with a separate international calling service, in my case onesuite.com, (Skype would be another option) which has a local connection number and then I pay about 1½¢/min to call the UK, with the added advantage that I can not only use the calling service calling from my cell phone, but I can also use it from home on my VoIP line (I have really crappy cell service at home) or from the office, my in-laws house etc.[/QUOTE
]
+ 1 for a separate international calling service. I use Keep Calling for 0.7 cents a minute. $10 provides 1,428 minutes. No issues with service or quality. All you do is call a local or 800 number and then enter your international number. On your first call you have to enter a PIN after that it remembers it if calling from the same number. Could not be easier or cheaper.

jkeller Aug 15th 2020 7:19 pm

Take a look at this guy's youtube channel. This is an AT&T video, he has other videos for the other carriers. Remember Sprint is now gone and these plans/offers change all the time. Hope this helps.