Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best US Bank Account?

Best US Bank Account?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best US Bank Account?

Originally Posted by GSH
...just go with one of the biggest banks in the country and rest assured your money is safe.
that's a real laugh out loud moment

fdic protection is crap too.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:02 am
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point

If B of A fails, the US will go down in flames, so not having any money will be the least of my worries.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH
If B of A fails, the US will go down in flames, so not having any money will be the least of my worries.
not so much the whole thing going under, but they've managed to lose a lot of peoples money and do mess up a lot....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:07 am
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point

All banks mess up. My parents had Wells Fargo for a number of years and absolutely hated them. The constant problems they had were utterly ridiculous. I won't say I've never had any problems with B of A over the years, but they are usually very quick to resolve whatever is wrong. I just feel more secure dealing with a bigger bank, especially inlight of the recent trouble in the banking sector.

Last edited by GSH; Sep 4th 2008 at 1:10 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by GSH
All banks mess up. My parents had Wells Fargo for a number of years and absolutely hated them. The amount of trouble they had was utterly ridiculous. I won't say I've never had any problems with B of A over the years, but they are usually very quick to resolve whatever was wrong. I just feel more secure dealing with a bigger bank, especially inlight of the recent trouble in the banking sector.
true, but after looking in from the other side, wouldn't want to touch them with the thick end of the shitty covered shitty stick
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

I'm a big fan of the Fidelity mysmartcash account:
i) No ATM fees anywhere (they always reimburse you what other banks charge)
ii) Unlimited free cheques
iii) Good online bill paying
iv) No minimum balance
v) Can buy a money market fund within the account with a decent (for the US) interest rate -- without the money market fund you earn 1.5% -- with the money market fund it's about 2.5% currently
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:01 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH
What, like if Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac get sunk? Or the "most admired", AA-rated Bear Stearns?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Banks suck. I just closed my third account this year because they are bags of shite. Looked at my statement to see a $12 debit for a service switch. I call and they don't know why and can't do anything about it. I go into the branch and the first person doesn't know why it happened. The second person doesn't either but acts like it's no big deal and tries to blame it on me (must have been a miscommunication when I opened the account, even though I have the paper work that says otherwise) but agrees to refund it. Then he looked surprised when I asked to close it. "But I refunded you the fee, why would you want to close your account?" Umm, because you stole $12 from me in the first place and have no idea why. All I want the damn account for is to run a football team! Pay in sponsorship money and dues and pay the facility to play, it's not my money and it's not a whole lot. Wankers.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.jdpower.com/finance/ratin...ings/southeast

This link will take you to the JD Power bank ratings, might help you.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:03 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Depends if you have a SSN yet or not. If you do, I'd recommend ING Direct and their EO account.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

FYI: anything under 100K with a bank is covered by the FDIC if the bank was to fail.

The FDIC whilst a bit short of cash at the moment due to IndyMac is a government backed organisation so you should be pretty safe anywhere that is covered by them (all I think).

If you have more than 100K to deposit consider seriously spreading it around a little.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:23 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OiOi
Barclays are part of BOA global ATM Alliance so you can you can use your BOA ATM at barclays in the UK with no fees. Although i'm sure there is some kind of currency conversion fee.
well you get charged $3 to take it out of the atm...but the exchang rate is usually pretty good!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

Also worth opening a 'get you by account' on arrival and then taking advantage of one of the 'welcome to the neighborhood' mailings you will get from any number of banks once you have been in town for a few weeks and have started to sign up for phone, electric etc. There are some good offers from WaMu, Citi and Wells Fargo at the moment. Just check the small print.

Sir Denis
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

LOCAL CREDIT UNION.
They are the best we've had yet and I've been in US for over 20yrs.
Free checking
Bank online
Bill paying online
Go paperless, no bills in the mail if you want.
friendly local people who actually know who we are when we go in or call.
CC with lower rates than my HSBC CC.
ATM card with visa logo, no fees to get money out with it. I used it all over UK at cash machines and in shops and it hardly cost a thing a few cents for the transaction changing the money to dollars.
Cheap tickets to many attractions such as six flags and Disney.
Low interest rates on loans (car and house)
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mellybrown
well you get charged $3 to take it out of the atm...but the exchang rate is usually pretty good!
BOA customers do not pay any transaction fees at Barclay's ATM's, I have used them for years, the only thing you pay is a small currency conversion fee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.