Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best US$ Bank % Rate for Savers ?

Best US$ Bank % Rate for Savers ?

Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:10 am
Wiggle

Default Best US$ Bank % Rate for Savers ?

In the UK, if you bank with http://www.ingdirect.co.uk/home.html you can get 4.7% APR on your savings. This is for GBP savings of course. There are no restrictions on withdrawals and the account can be managed on-line.

In the US, the same company http://www.ing.com/us/ are only offering 2.1% for what appears to be a similar account(orange) for US$ savings.

I'd like to take advantage of the current exchange rate USD/GBP without tying up money long term etc. But at those rates, even with the exchange rate at 1.8, I still earn more interest by keeping it in GBP.

Does anyone know of a better Interest Rate offering for a USD based account?

Last edited by Wiggle; Jun 14th 2004 at 6:23 am.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

marlborobell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best US$ Bank % Rate for Savers ?

Originally posted by Wiggle
In the UK, if you bank with http://www.ingdirect.co.uk/home.html you can get 4.7% APR on your savings. This is for GBP savings of course. There are no restrictions on withdrawals and the account can be managed on-line.

In the US, the same company http://www.ing.com/us/ are only offering 2.1% for what appears to be a similar account(orange) for US$ savings.

I'd like to take advantage of the current exchange rate USD/GBP without tying up money long term etc. But at those rates, even with the exchange rate at 1.8, I still earn more interest by keeping it in GBP.

Does anyone know of a better Interest Rate offering for a USD based account?
For a regular savings account, that's about as good as you can do. You can get a bit more by opening a CD (Certificate of Deposit) but of course that means tying up your money for a while.

Be warned: last I checked, ING was one of a few US financial institutions to have a clause in their fine print requiring you to be a citizen or Green Card holder to open an account -- no H-1Bs etc. (Capital One is another.) So although I wanted to open an account with them, I couldn't...
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know what the legal ramifications are but a friend on a h1 opened an ING account
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:20 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice

Oops, I opened a ING account but I only have an E2 visa, must have missed that in the T & C.

I think I'll give them a call and see what they say, probably have to close the account.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

whats the worst that could happen if you don't tell them?

I don;t think that they will sue you for an easy mistake and as long as you pay interest to the irs you'll be fine with them