Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best time to fly with young kids?

Best time to fly with young kids?

Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best time to fly with young kids?

Just wanted to get people's thoughts/experiences on when is the best time to fly with young children, bearing in mind the time differences/jet lag etc?

We'll be flying from Heathrow to Newark.

We have a 5 year old, 3 year old and 10 month old!

I was thinking of a late afternoon flight so they're tired and may sleep around their usual bedtime.

Also, is there an option to book a seat for the baby and put his car seat on it or anything? Don't fancy having a wriggly, overtired, wanting to crawl everywhere baby on us the whole time!

Thanks 😀
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:42 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time to fly with young kids?

Yes, you can book a seat for the baby and then put an approved car seat in it. Expect to pay the regular child price for the seat.

As for time of day - you will know best, depending on your kids' regular bedtimes, and just knowing them I guess. Late in the day sounds sensible on the face of it.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yes, you can book a seat for the baby and then put an approved car seat in it. Expect to pay the regular child price for the seat.

As for time of day - you will know best, depending on your kids' regular bedtimes, and just knowing them I guess. Late in the day sounds sensible on the face of it.
Ok thanks, good to know about the seat. How do you secure the car seat though?

Yes you're right, I think wearing them out during the day and then hope they'll sleep for as much of the flight as poss!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

I've been flying long haul with my children since they were all infants. Last time the youngest was under 1 (11 years ago now!), we booked a sky cot for him. I've found it made no difference if we flew on an early morning flight or an afternoon one.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by loubiblu
I've been flying long haul with my children since they were all infants. Last time the youngest was under 1 (11 years ago now!), we booked a sky cot for him. I've found it made no difference if we flew on an early morning flight or an afternoon one.
Ok thanks very much. I'll call and ask about the Sky Cot option.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was bribed once to take a young grandchild, with air miles, it was not enough.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I recently flew from Heathrow to Boston with BA. My flight left at 16:40 arriving in BOS at 1915 local time. There was a family sitting across from me with two young kiddos, (probably both under five) After the first meal was served, the kids slept the whole way. The parents had an awful job waking them up in Boston though!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I recently flew from Heathrow to Boston with BA. My flight left at 16:40 arriving in BOS at 1915 local time. There was a family sitting across from me with two young kiddos, (probably both under five) After the first meal was served, the kids slept the whole way. The parents had an awful job waking them up in Boston though!
That's the kind of story I like to hear!! Thanks 😀
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clahal
Ok thanks very much. I'll call and ask about the Sky Cot option.
My daughter recently flew to London from Toronto and back with an 11 month old. Night flight there....day flight back...the baby slept through both flights. She paid extra for bulkhead seats and booked a cot. The cot wasn't used as the flight attendant said the baby had to be taken out of the cot for take off, landing and during times of turbulence. She thought it best not to disturb a sleeping baby by lifting her in and out of the cot.

As for the other children...when our daughter was their age we flew night flights and early morning flights across the pond. I always made sure she took books and puzzles...keeping them occupied when not sleeping is the trick. I can't remember having a problem with jet lag...best to adjust to the new time zone from day 1.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter recently flew to London from Toronto and back with an 11 month old. Night flight there....day flight back...the baby slept through both flights. She paid extra for bulkhead seats and booked a cot. The cot wasn't used as the flight attendant said the baby had to be taken out of the cot for take off, landing and during times of turbulence. She thought it best not to disturb a sleeping baby by lifting her in and out of the cot.

As for the other children...when our daughter was their age we flew night flights and early morning flights across the pond. I always made sure she took books and puzzles...keeping them occupied when not sleeping is the trick. I can't remember having a problem with jet lag...best to adjust to the new time zone from day 1.
Thanks..good info about the carrycot for take off/landing etc. I'm going to book one anyway then we've got the option I guess.

We'll definitely take lots of activities x
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure on the other airlines, but with BA, you'll be able to pre book your seats for free with the 10 month old in tow. You should find the bulk head seats with the bassinets still available provided you don't book last minute. BA will then provide either a sky cot or chair for them to sit in. Our daughter had a great time apart from on the descent when her ears gave her a bit of grief.

Spoiler:
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say when they turn 18 would be the absolute minimum age you should consider travelling with them....
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Then they will not want to travel with you.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I'd say when they turn 18 would be the absolute minimum age you should consider travelling with them....
Having flown solo with a 2 year old, I concur.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Then they will not want to travel with you.
I don't see the problem.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Haha, if only!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.