Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best time/day to fly to USA?

Best time/day to fly to USA?

Old May 30th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold
Default Best time/day to fly to USA?

Hi,
I've been trying to research best (ie cheapest) times to fly over to the States. The internet just seems to want to sell me tickets - how can I find out which airlines have which cheapest days, times etc?
Other than that, has anyone any experience of the better days, times, airports etc? We're planning on flying to Phoenix, from maybe Manchester, Humberside or London - or any other airport Eastern England, at some date in late summer - August/September. Surely some days/times must be 'better' than others?
Anyone?
Thanks.....
Old May 30th 2006, 8:12 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time/day to fly to USA?

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi,
I've been trying to research best (ie cheapest) times to fly over to the States. The internet just seems to want to sell me tickets - how can I find out which airlines have which cheapest days, times etc?
Other than that, has anyone any experience of the better days, times, airports etc? We're planning on flying to Phoenix, from maybe Manchester, Humberside or London - or any other airport Eastern England, at some date in late summer - August/September. Surely some days/times must be 'better' than others?
Anyone?
Thanks.....
Mid week in normally cheaper.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:13 am
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously its going to be more expensive during summer/school holidays. The price also jacks up over the weekend. So Mon-Thu are usually your best bets. I shop around priceline/travelocity then the airlines own website all the time..you can get prices for pretty much any flight without purchasing anything.. oddly enough last time direct from BA was cheaper than priceline etc for the same exact flight. Coming from the UK the student travel agency used to get me crazy cheap flights... you just need a student union card.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:20 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Best time/day to fly to USA?

I think that the cheapest way is possibly with one of the charter airlines which fly to places like Orlando (Sanford) and then you would need to take a domestic flight to your final destination.

These charter flights are intended for UK residents and I think companies like Thomson, Airtours, MyTravelite, Cosmos and Thomas Cook are the most likely companies offering these flights.

Prices drop a lot in mid-October. Bear in mind that flights out of London (LHR and LGW) are usually cheaper than flights out of the regional airports as there is more competitio and choice of flights amongst other airlines (UK and American) flying out of London.

Also check out the forums or post your question at

http://www.flyertalk.com

- lots of frequent flyers, travel agents, airline staff post there and always have lots of ideas.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Anyone?
Thanks.....
tues/wed usually seems cheaper however afraid you've just got to shop around, seems no rhyme or reason to ticketing...
Old May 31st 2006, 5:29 am
cpf
Just Joined

cpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nice

Hi,
Anyone?
Thanks.....

Yes -- you've got to play around with the dates. Some sites allow you to do this by looking three days either side (orbitz, virgin). Prices make no sense. I had been looking for weeks just recently for a flight from DC-LHR because I thought London would be cheaper. All I would find was $950. I looked at Manchester (where we'll be going) just to see and I got a flight for $530. Usually it is more expensive to fly there than London, so I have no idea why it's almost half price. Also, if you have kids sometimes if you put them in, it shows very few options. It's easier to search sans kids to find more options and then call expedia etc. to add them.
Old May 31st 2006, 6:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Prices tend to go up on a Wednesday.

Cheaper tickets go first, so usually the price inceases as the plane fills up and fewer ae left.

BA site also allows you to see best time bands.

The days of last minute discounts to fill space seem to be gone, quite afew more planes have been retired than brought into service, demand is up and all the flights I have been on recently have been full. Wife said that last Friday there were over 100 people trying for her flight on stand by.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Best time/day to fly to USA?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Wife said that last Friday there were over 100 people trying for her flight on stand by.
yet another reason why I quit my job with BA....too much hassle dealing with angry passengers who are bumped off their flight.

TOP TIP

****Check in Online****
Old May 31st 2006, 3:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
tues/wed usually seems cheaper however afraid you've just got to shop around, seems no rhyme or reason to ticketing...
I believe that pricing of any one flight depends on how many seats are available and howmany days/ weeks/ months there are left until the flight. If the flight is heavily booked the price of the remaining seats will be higher, if there are plenty if seats and a sell-out isn't looking likely you'll get a better deal. As others have said, the further away from schools holidays you fly the better the price you'll get. In my experience October- November and February- March are the cheapest months.
Old May 31st 2006, 5:14 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
yet another reason why I quit my job with BA....too much hassle dealing with angry passengers who are bumped off their flight.

TOP TIP

****Check in Online****
Unless you have children, in which case you aren't allowed to check in online. At least not with BA.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the input,guys!
I have been looking at various websites and getting heaps of differing prices! Wondering whether to book now, or wait until nearer the time - decisions, decisions.....!
One thing that confuses me is why one-way tickets are so much more expensive than return! BA quotes £2570 for 4 one-way and £1910 for 4 return, in both instances the outward flights on the same plane!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best time/day to fly to USA?

Thanks for all the input,guys!
I have been looking at various websites and getting heaps of differing prices! Wondering whether to book now, or wait until nearer the time - decisions, decisions.....!
One thing that confuses me is why one-way tickets are so much more expensive than return! BA quotes £2570 for 4 one-way and £1910 for 4 return, in both instances the outward flights on the same plane!

We fly Continental out of Birmingham. Its pretty good. Goes to Newark then change flights.

Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:50 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
We fly Continental out of Birmingham. Its pretty good. Goes to Newark then change flights.
Newark Lincs or Newark NJ?
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

#1. Everyone should know that I HATE FLYING.
So, when I look for my tickets I'm looking at price, and duration.
Originally planned to go back June 15th. Would of been a perfect time as there was a few things going on that I would of liked to attended. 15th was also a Thursday.
After not having much luck with price and duration, I moved it over the the 20th June (Tuesday) and managed to find a flight that was the shortest duration at the lowest price. On the 15th, this same flight was going into the 2000 range and I found it for 700! Not sure whether that was a blatant bit of luck, or whether early week and it getting later into June helped; but I was proper chuffed.

Recommend Orbitz for flights to. Searched for hours using loads of different sites and they are by far the easiest to use and usually turn up the best results. Be flexible when booking, have a date then check flights for +/- 3 days and compare.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't work if, like me, your name is on the watch list. And no, my name isn't Osama

Originally Posted by Englishmum

TOP TIP

****Check in Online****

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.