Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The best thing about America

The best thing about America

Old May 28th 2013, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best thing about America

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
God, we had a Citroen Saxo they could have had for free! I hated that car with a purple passion!!
That's what they all drove round our way. Well, it used to be a Saxo before the off-brand plastic body kit and naff paint job got applied, that is.
Old May 28th 2013, 4:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I thought chavs were more into Burberry clothes than tattoos.
Funny you say that, as the people I think of as Chavs in California are all the people with their Coach handbags.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

We have groups in the US that are seen as counterparts to the chavs in the UK but it differs between urban areas and the countryside. In this town the demographic that gets stereotyped as 'chavvy' are the Puerto Ricans - meaning people perceive them as living off welfare, playing music too loud, behaving trashyily (e.g stabbing each other at Chucky Cheese) etc. In the countryside the chav counterpart is the hick or redneck who lives out in the woods down a dirt road and drives a rusty pickup - usual uniform; shirtless, NASCAR baseball cap and tattoos. Difference between the UK and the US is you typically don't get youths prowling the streets harassing people round here like I was used to back home. Reason for that is probably the large number of cops, different drinking culture and the fact that people drive everywhere. Closest you get to it is probably the flash-mob phenomenon in the inner cities.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
We have groups in the US that are seen as counterparts to the chavs in the UK but it differs between urban areas and the countryside. In this town the demographic that gets stereotyped as 'chavvy' are the Puerto Ricans - meaning people perceive them as living off welfare, playing music too loud, behaving trashyily (e.g stabbing each other at Chucky Cheese) etc. In the countryside the chav counterpart is the hick or redneck who lives out in the woods down a dirt road and drives a rusty pickup - usual uniform; shirtless, NASCAR baseball cap and tattoos. Difference between the UK and the US is you typically don't get youths prowling the streets harassing people round here like I was used to back home. Reason for that is probably the large number of cops, different drinking culture and the fact that people drive everywhere. Closest you get to it is probably the flash-mob phenomenon in the inner cities.
I live in downtown San Jose and on the weekends, about 20K-40K people visit the bars, restaurants, and nightclubs each night in the one square mile downtown area. A significant number that visit the downtown area are from gangs in east San Jose (gang markings all over) but seldom is there any problems. The police have zero tolerance for problems in the downtown area and if a bar owner has a problem, the police are there within minutes, if a fight or argument breaks out in a parking lot, the police are there in minutes, and if people are harassed, the police are there in minutes. The police doesn't just warn the violators but immediately hauls them to jail to make sure that everybody understands the rules of behavior in the downtown area.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally different too here going to a ball game , it a pleasure to take the whole family , you can't even go to the pubs in the UK with a team shirt on .
Old May 28th 2013, 6:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
...... Difference between the UK and the US is you typically don't get youths prowling the streets harassing people round here like I was used to back home. Reason for that is probably the large number of cops, .....
An interesting theory, but not borne out be the reality that there is an average of 20% more police per capita in the UK than in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...olice_officers
Old May 28th 2013, 6:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Totally different too here going to a ball game , it a pleasure to take the whole family , you can't even go to the pubs in the UK with a team shirt on .
You're not comparing like with like. I hear that NFL fans inside and in the streets and nearby bars are often aggressive towards fans of other teams, whereas cricket is generally a family friendly game for spectators.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It might be different in other cities but in the Chicago area people get overly tribal about their (in national terms rather crap) sporting teams, often to the point of stupidity.

I used to go to the pub wearing a Liverpool shirt all the time back home and other than the obligatory friendly rivalry with United fans, nothing untoward ever happened. I'm not so sure that would work around here in certain places if one was wearing, say a Packers jersey
Old May 28th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're not comparing like with like. I hear that NFL fans inside and in the streets and nearby bars are often aggressive towards fans of other teams, whereas cricket is generally a family friendly game for spectators.
I didnt just "hear" of football hooligans in the UK I've seen them for myself
Old May 28th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It might be different in other cities but in the Chicago area people get overly tribal about their (in national terms rather crap) sporting teams, often to the point of stupidity.

I used to go to the pub wearing a Liverpool shirt all the time back home and other than the obligatory friendly rivalry with United fans, nothing untoward ever happened. I'm not so sure that would work around here in certain places if one was wearing, say a Packers jersey
Then why are they banned in pubs ?
Old May 28th 2013, 6:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Then why are they banned in pubs ?
****ed if I know. I didn't even know they were.

All of this is completely anecdotal, which, while fun, is completely meaningless. I went to a baseball game once (for my sister) and the only thing that ruined the day more than my hatred of baseball was a couple of loudmouthed, classless drunks right behind us. I had my son with me. Not exactly good clean family fun, that day.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:00 pm

I didnt just "hear" of football hooligans in the UK I've seen them for myself
Me too, but I have had negligible face to face exposure to NFL fans on game day.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been curious as to why so many of the posters in the immigration and marriage-based immigration sections of the forum are concerned about their past warnings, arrests, or convictions for drunkeness or brawling in pubs. So I guess it wasn't over football, then?

Regards, JEff

Old May 28th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
An interesting theory, but not borne out be the reality that there is an average of 20% more police per capita in the UK than in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...olice_officers
I stand corrected
Old May 28th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

****ed if I know. I didn't even know they were.

All of this is completely anecdotal, which, while fun, is completely meaningless. I went to a baseball game once (for my sister) and the only thing that ruined the day more than my hatred of baseball was a couple of loudmouthed, classless drunks right behind us. I had my son with me. Not exactly good clean family fun, that day.
Don't forget Christmas has been banned in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.