Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best State of the Union? It's....

Best State of the Union? It's....

Old May 16th 2012, 3:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best State of the Union? It's....

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I think adultery in Texas gets you shot, anyway.
Most things in Texas can get you shot. Did you know they have guns here? Lots of them! Some folk even carry them around with them, but they've got to hide them if they do so's not to scare the visitors
Old May 16th 2012, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I think adultery in Texas gets you shot, anyway.

I never understood the whole state pride thing, really. It'd be like me trying to say County Antrim is the best county in the entire UK because I lived there, it has nice forests and part of Belfast is in it (the bit I was born in, obviously) ...

It's all a bit silly. Texas is immense, varied and populous - of course there are many good things to find there, just by the sheer law of averages alone. I'd argue there are just as many good things to be found in California, the New England states, Alaska, Hawaii et cetera.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:49 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

I never understood the whole state pride thing, really. It'd be like me trying to say County Antrim is the best county in the entire UK because I lived there, it has nice forests and part of Belfast is in it (the bit I was born in, obviously) ...

It's all a bit silly. Texas is immense, varied and populous - of course there are many good things to find there, just by the sheer law of averages alone. I'd argue there are just as many good things to be found in California, the New England states, Alaska, Hawaii et cetera.
I've never seen it anywhere else as intense as it is here - its like a superconcentrated version of the national pride. On Steroids. (I'm NOT knocking the national pride by the way - I wish there was a bit more of that back in the UK!). I mean, we joke about Yorkshire and all that, but I dont think many people take it that seriously (cue that Hale and Pace video, Yorkshire born/Yorkshire bred/Strong in t'arm, thick int'head etc etc ) but here it is serious - try that with Texas and you'll likely end up in a fight! Thats kind of why I asked a few posts back about whether it was the same in other states. I've not really noticed it when visiting other states, but living in them for a length of time gives a different viewpoint.

Another question - in the schools here (and I'm sure everywhere else) they recite the pledge of allegiance every morning. Here they then go on to pledge allegiance to the Texas flag - do they do that in other states?
Old May 16th 2012, 3:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've never seen it anywhere else as intense as it is here - its like a superconcentrated version of the national pride. On Steroids. (I'm NOT knocking the national pride by the way - I wish there was a bit more of that back in the UK!). I mean, we joke about Yorkshire and all that, but I dont think many people take it that seriously (cue that Hale and Pace video, Yorkshire born/Yorkshire bred/Strong in t'arm, thick int'head etc etc ) but here it is serious - try that with Texas and you'll likely end up in a fight! Thats kind of why I asked a few posts back about whether it was the same in other states. I've not really noticed it when visiting other states, but living in them for a length of time gives a different viewpoint.

Another question - in the schools here (and I'm sure everywhere else) they recite the pledge of allegiance every morning. Here they then go on to pledge allegiance to the Texas flag - do they do that in other states?
'Ey up, I won't say nowt about Yorkshire, worry ye not

If the Pledge is said in an Illinois school, it is to the US flag, not the state flag. I'm not sure if my son's current school even does it at all, I don't remember seeing flags up in the classrooms for that purpose.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
'Ey up, I won't say nowt about Yorkshire, worry ye not

If the Pledge is said in an Illinois school, it is to the US flag, not the state flag. I'm not sure if my son's current school even does it at all, I don't remember seeing flags up in the classrooms for that purpose.
I don't think they have flags in all the classrooms (some do), but the euivalent of what we knew as morning assembly is televised into every classroom, and there is a flag behind the announcer so I assume they face that.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I don't think they have flags in all the classrooms (some do), but the euivalent of what we knew as morning assembly is televised into every classroom, and there is a flag behind the announcer so I assume they face that.
Now I'm pretty sure they don't do that at his school. They don't have reliable AC, let alone closed circuit TV
Old May 16th 2012, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

newtohouston is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, but you haven't met Leslie yet....
not sure what that meant...but ok!
Old May 16th 2012, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nor actually lived in Texas it seems!

As to MA, I think it has a lot going for it. But I never got used to the summer climate, I like being outdoors a lot, and the combination of heat and humidity made me want me to stay in the safety of air conditioning. I guess I'm just not an eastern seaboard kind of guy because of that, which is a real pity as there are several cities I'd like to live in there, especially New York.
well funnily enough I have...have you? Just interested to hear from people who have actually lived there recently to hear the pros and cons.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newtohouston
not sure what that meant...but ok!
You will find out. Oh yes you will...
Old May 16th 2012, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

You will find out. Oh yes you will...
I may be about to make you laugh, but my fiance's name is Leslie...so you can understand my intrigue as to what you are referring to?
Old May 16th 2012, 4:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I may be about to make you laugh, but my fiance's name is Leslie...so you can understand my intrigue as to what you are referring to?

Very suspicious.

Leslie had better be along pretty damn quickly to clear this up.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:37 pm
I have a comma problem

What are the odds ... ?
Old May 16th 2012, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Very suspicious.

Leslie had better be along pretty damn quickly to clear this up.
I am so damn confused right now...please explain!
Old May 16th 2012, 4:43 pm

I am so damn confused right now...please explain!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=14032

A force to be reckoned with.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

wow ok, I see what you mean. Definitely not my fiance! thanks for clearing that up though!