Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best State of the Union? It's....

Best State of the Union? It's....

Old May 15th 2012, 4:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best State of the Union? It's....

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Illinois - Flat and proud
That's about all you can say really. Except all the corruption and bribes, of course ...
Old May 15th 2012, 4:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's about all you can say really. Except all the corruption and bribes, of course ...
Illinois - Where the Governors go to Prison

or

Illinois - Chicago and a Bunch of Other Places We Can't Remember the Names of.

NB: For the longest time I thought North Carolina's "first in flight" meant "first to run away."
Old May 15th 2012, 4:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Illinois - Where the Governors go to Prison

or

Illinois - Chicago and a Bunch of Other Places We Can't Remember the Names of.
Those are good ones
Old May 15th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Except for Jo Davies County.

Jim.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Except for Jo Davies County.

Jim.
Not flat, but way too many gift shops selling useless items.
Old May 15th 2012, 5:14 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

way too many gift shops selling useless items.
Tautologous, no?
Old May 15th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Well I like MA, despite living in possibly the most 'meh' part of it - north central MA (easy escape to NH, VT and Western MA though). VT is the best New England state for me but there isn't much work up there.

If you speak to people though - mainly the blue collar types - a lot of people would like to get out of the state; mainly because of the winters, the erosion of the industrial base & the higher cost of living. There is quite a bit of negativity around in the Bay state.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC

If you speak to people though - mainly the blue collar types - a lot of people would like to get out of the state; mainly because of the winters, the erosion of the industrial base & the higher cost of living. There is quite a bit of negativity around in the Bay state.
You need to check out the out laying towns around the Cape, etc, especially in the build up to the summer season. You get 5 families sharing a motel to do the casual work, while residing properly in NH or RI, to get out of needing medical insurance and those areas having more solid off season work, but the money is worth if for contractors getting stuff ready for the tourists. It's pretty grim stuff though.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I used to date a girl who said that.
Don't think she was called Illinois though.

Didn't last long....
Old May 16th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

newtohouston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'm not vouching for the sanity of those from Texas either....especially the twats with the "not born/got here fast" type bumper stickers - and Brother in Law, if you're reading, yes I mean you!!!
well..I am just about to move myself to Texas and CANNOT wait. Unless you have spent some time in Texas, traveled to the Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio and so on, I think it's fair to say, that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. The country folk in Texas are friendly and helpful. I met my gorgeous fiancee there and have made wonderful friends, and I don't even live there yet.

So, for me, the winner is Texas! Yeehaw!
Old May 16th 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by newtohouston
well..I am just about to move myself to Texas and CANNOT wait. Unless you have spent some time in Texas, traveled to the Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio and so on, I think it's fair to say, that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. The country folk in Texas are friendly and helpful. I met my gorgeous fiancee there and have made wonderful friends, and I don't even live there yet.

Ah, but you haven't met Leslie yet....
Old May 16th 2012, 2:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Ah there's nothing like some unadulterated subjectivity of a morning, is there?
Old May 16th 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ah there's nothing like some unadulterated subjectivity of a morning, is there?

I think adultery in Texas gets you shot, anyway.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by newtohouston

Thats fine, I'm happy for you.

We've been here 10 years. Got married here to a Texan implant. The only major part of the state we haven't visited is Big Bend. All in all I kind of like living here - not the greatest, not the worst, but we do OK. But I'm certainly not about to add the "not born here/got here as fast as I could" bumper sticker to my truck. Of course I wouldn't try to deny you the right to add one to your truck when you get here, as long as you don't try to deny me my right to add you to my list of twats if you do. I'll put you right next to my Michigan born brother in law if you like.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but you haven't met Leslie yet....
Nor actually lived in Texas it seems!

As to MA, I think it has a lot going for it. But I never got used to the summer climate, I like being outdoors a lot, and the combination of heat and humidity made me want me to stay in the safety of air conditioning. I guess I'm just not an eastern seaboard kind of guy because of that, which is a real pity as there are several cities I'd like to live in there, especially New York.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.