Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best State of the Union? It's....

Best State of the Union? It's....

Old May 14th 2012, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best State of the Union? It's....

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...he_union_.html

Massachusetts, apparently...

Not sure I entirely agree, but it does do well in a lot of the things that count...wonder how other states stack up though.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best State of the Union? It's....

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...he_union_.html

Massachusetts, apparently...

Not sure I entirely agree, but it does do well in a lot of the things that count...wonder how other states stack up though.
As a New Yorker who lives about 30 minutes from MA, I totally disagree with that. Most economic opportunities are in the midwest, and south. To pick any state in the Northeast only means one thing. The Slate author must be from the Northeast.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moadikum
As a New Yorker who lives about 30 minutes from MA, I totally disagree with that. Most economic opportunities are in the midwest, and south. To pick any state in the Northeast only means one thing. The Slate author must be from the Northeast.
I'd agree to some extent, there are certainly much better tax breaks down there, but the number of science research and tech based start ups out here along with what comes out of MIT etc is pretty impressive...

Basically who moves to MIT to study and then move back to podunk no where to try and attract top talent? They don't. They either stay here or head to California, possibly Austin, TX.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd agree to some extent, there are certainly much better tax breaks down there, but the number of science research and tech based start ups out here along with what comes out of MIT etc is pretty impressive...

Basically who moves to MIT to study and then move back to podunk no where to try and attract top talent? They don't. They either stay here or head to California, possibly Austin, TX.
That sort of logic would have been 100% valid 10 years ago - but the location of where a couple of computer programmers are doing their thing, creating the next $billion company - is now irrelevant.

Most of my friends who I graduated with (from a top 40 engineering school) moved to the midwest, or further South. Some biotech friends moved to New England - but very few.

Last edited by oxonlad; May 14th 2012 at 7:40 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Massachusetts a Commonwealth? How does that work then ... ?

The day Illinois ever wins that award will the exact day after the sun dies. Five billion years from now.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

That sort of logic would have been 100% valid 10 years ago - but the location of where a couple of computer programmers are doing their thing, creating the next $billion company - is now irrelevant.

Most of my friends who I graduated with (from a top 40 engineering school) moved to the midwest, or further South. Some biotech friends moved to New England - but very few.
Software is one thing, but even so....and research is where the money and the brains are and it's hard for people to break away from a hub as people don't like being stranded when the jobs go splat.

Family folks probably are more apt to move though as it's just so expensive getting decided sized housing here, but young folks don't want to move to boringsville.

And yes, Sultan is right, it's a Commonwealth, so nothing makes sense
Old May 15th 2012, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree it's irrelevant. "The next billion dollar software company" is located in... Silicon Valley. As have almost all of the last few big software IPOs. Of course, not all of their software developers work there though, so I'd agree location is less important than it once was.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:39 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I agree, but I'm about as liberal as they get........unfortunately I don't have enough hair anymore to go for the ponytail.

MA is far from perfect. There's too much corruption and I don't agree with the outlook of the many socially conservative democrats in the state, but for education, health care, wages, benefits and quality of life, MA is hard to beat. Also autumn is always spectacular and Fenway Park is the best ball park in the country.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Well I never... and I opened this expecting to see Texas named the winner

I'm curious - there is a hell of a lot of state pride here "Don't mess with Texas", "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could", Texas flags on everything from bikinis to deck chairs to farm gates, Texas/Lone Star/Longhorn edition trucks and so on. Is this the same in other states, or is it just the shy, retiring sorts around here that feel the need to try to reaffirm their allegiance at every opportunity?
Old May 15th 2012, 3:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Well I never... and I opened this expecting to see Texas named the winner

I'm curious - there is a hell of a lot of state pride here "Don't mess with Texas", "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could", Texas flags on everything from bikinis to deck chairs to farm gates, Texas/Lone Star/Longhorn edition trucks and so on. Is this the same in other states, or is it just the shy, retiring sorts around here that feel the need to try to reaffirm their allegiance at every opportunity?
Nobody in their right mind would admit to being proud to come from Illinois
Old May 15th 2012, 3:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm not vouching for the sanity of those from Texas either....especially the twats with the "not born/got here fast" type bumper stickers - and Brother in Law, if you're reading, yes I mean you!!!
Old May 15th 2012, 3:59 pm
I have a comma problem

I'm not vouching for the sanity of those from Texas either....especially the twats with the "not born/got here fast" type bumper stickers - and Brother in Law, if you're reading, yes I mean you!!!
I've certainly not seen an Illinois equivalent. A concerning amount of confederate flags, though ...
Old May 15th 2012, 4:45 pm

I've certainly not seen an Illinois equivalent. A concerning amount of confederate flags, though ...
Round here you don't actually see as many confederate flags - a few bumper stickers and some of the good ol' boys have the back window of their truck tricked out with it, but get out in the countryside north and west of us and they are everywhere. You also see quite a few homesteads with 3 flagpoles - one for the stars and stripes, one for the lone star, and one for the Marines flag. Interesting order of honor they are flying in sometimes...
Old May 15th 2012, 4:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Round here you don't actually see as many confederate flags - a few bumper stickers and some of the good ol' boys have the back window of their truck tricked out with it, but get out in the countryside north and west of us and they are everywhere. You also see quite a few homesteads with 3 flagpoles - one for the stars and stripes, one for the lone star, and one for the Marines flag. Interesting order of honor they are flying in sometimes...
I see lots of marines flags on houses, but never a state flag, usually those are just on county buildings or government offices.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Illinois - Flat and proud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.