Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Old May 6th 2022, 5:09 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Thank you so much for responding, so the house is part of the package he is getting with the job
She didn't say anything about cash, nor that her husband's employer is providing it
Really?
Old May 6th 2022, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She didn't say anything about cash, nor that her husband's employer is funding the purchase.

You seem to be inferring information that not only wasn't provided but is contrary to the usual way things are done - "normally" a question like this means that the person asking has a $500k budget, and we don't know if they [1] have the means to buy out-right, or [2] are planning to obtain a mortgage, but the latter, [2], would be bar far the most common route. .... That said, neither of these have any tax implications, other than any minor duty/ taxes on closing which would apply in any case, no matter how the house was funded/financed. So I can't imagine what it is that you are not able to imagine.
I agree that this wouldn't be common, hence why I asked the question so we can see more info on the details on the package. If they can only afford a $500k mortage, that implies a very low salary for an NYC job worth relocating for...
Old May 6th 2022, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Tax in our town is about ~11000/year on a 1.1 million home. We dumped a sack of cash to buy it with no 'you paid with cash tax!'
Old May 6th 2022, 5:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

'Tis gone.
It was an easy line to miss!

I agree with the previous poster though, if that is taxable, that's going to hurt!
Old May 6th 2022, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Ah now I get it. hmm I wonder if the 500k is taxable....
Old May 6th 2022, 5:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Tax in our town is about ~11000/year on a 1.1 million home. We dumped a sack of cash to buy it with no 'you paid with cash tax!' ....
20 years ago we were facing $10,000-ish annual property taxes on homes in the $400k-$500k range in greater NYC. I expect that taxes on $1m houses in that area today would be in the $25k-$30k range, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were even higher.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 6th 2022 at 5:24 pm.
Old May 6th 2022, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

20 years ago we were facing $10,000-ish on homes in the $400k-$500k range in greater NYC. I expect that taxes on $1m houses in that area today would be in the $25k-$30k range, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were even higher.
I think you are right, and that does exist here in MA as well, which is insane (?). I always feel NYC smells of p$ss so I only go for small doses (to visit, not the p$ss)
Old May 6th 2022, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
...... I agree with the previous poster though, if that is taxable, that's going to hurt!
If the $500k is a lump sum award/ bonus, I would estimate that the withholding tax would be $200k (44%) to cover federal (37%) and NY state (6.85%) income taxes .... and it will probably be higher as I suspect that there will be a social security deduction made too. In short, after taxes, I would expect to receive only about 50% of the nominal amount.
Old May 6th 2022, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

If the $500k is a lump sum award/ bonus, I would estimate that the withholding tax would be $200k (44%) to cover federal (37%) and NY state (6.85%) income taxes .... and it will probably be higher as I suspect that there will be a social security deduction made too. In short I would expect to receive only about 50% of the nominal amount.
This was my mental arithmetic as well, I was not brave enough to post for the OP!
Old May 6th 2022, 5:29 pm

This was my mental arithmetic as well, I was not brave enough to post for the OP!
To turn the discussion and advice on it's head, if the employer is willing to fund a house in the ball-park of $1million, then the cash award/ bonus would need to be grossed-up to $2million so that $1million is left after taxes. ..... Then the OP and her husband only have to find $30k each year to pay the property taxes!
Old May 6th 2022, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

To turn the discussion and advice on it's head, if the employer is willing to fund a house in the ball-park of $1million, then the cash award/ bonus would need to be grossed-up to $2million so that $1million is left after taxes. ..... Then the OP and her husband only have to find $30k each year to pay the property taxes!
Don't forget private school, excise tax, commuting cost and 10 bucks for a loaf of bread!
Old May 6th 2022, 5:41 pm

Don't forget private school, excise tax, commuting cost and 10 bucks for a loaf of bread!
And that, in a nut shell, or should I say "in a tax bill", is why there is a steady stream, every single day of moving vans relocating people relocating south from MA, CT, NY, and NJ to, most notably, NC, GA, FL, and TX.
Old May 6th 2022, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

And that, in a nut shell, or should I say "in a tax bill", is why there is a steady stream, every single day of moving vans relocating people relocating south from MA, CT, NY, and NJ to, most notably, NC, GA, FL, and TX.
Making a lot of assumptions, given OP has kids and she can not work (?) depending on the visa.... I hope income is $250k plus, as well as relocation of a million so the $500k is actually in their hands
Old May 6th 2022, 8:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Should be explained to the OP that you are talking about the town of Fairfield, and I was talking about Fairfield County as a whole -- specifically thinking about Stamford, Greenwich, New Canaan.
Yes Fairfield is a town and Fairfield County has many towns in it including Fairfield. Kind of like New York [City] that is in New York State.

houses in Greenwich and New Cannan
will be a lot more expensive. Stamford may be more reasonable and has many more trains that stop there.

Last edited by tht; May 6th 2022 at 8:39 pm.
Old May 6th 2022, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Making a lot of assumptions, given OP has kids and she can not work (?) depending on the visa.... I hope income is $250k plus, as well as relocation of a million so the $500k is actually in their hands
If they’re getting private school fees for 2 kids for a decade, plus a $500k lump sum to buy a house, that’s a heck of a package and I’d think he’s on a lot more than $250k (probably add another 0 to it!).

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 6th 2022 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.