Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best places to live without a car

Best places to live without a car

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:30 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best places to live without a car

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, you'd need to use it a fair bit to make the membership worth while.

I know a few people who use it in Boston, it is good...but not if you wanted to take a weekend trip to the countryside. It's more for the once a month need a car for the grocery shop, or you're buying a bit of furniture from Ikea kind of thing. So you'd use a car for short bursts, but fairly regularly, but not enough to need to buy a car and deal with parking, but more than the cost of a regular car rental.
They do an Occassional Driving Plan with no monthly membership, just a $60 annual fee.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I agree. New York should be number 1 and San Francisco number 2. Not only does NY have a decent subway system, it's bus services are better too. I guess one thing in SF's favour is that it's more geographically compact than New York City.

I could probably manage without a car in SF. I walk or take public transport to work and to go to things in the city on evenings. The only time I use a car is when I'm doing a bunch of heavy shopping or going out of town. My locality has a walkscore of 96 out of 100, which is one of the reasons I chose it:

http://www.walkscore.com/
Mine is 98. I live in the heart of downtown San Jose and since the downtown is only about 1 square mile with probably 200 bars and/or restaurants and a Safeway, post office, ups, library, shopping, theaters, and San Jose State University within a block of where I live, that seems to be about right.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Renting a car for a few weekends is pretty darned cheap compared to the overheads of car ownership, especially if you have a credit card that covers rental insurance for you.
The problem is most people who get off the plane from the UK won't initially qualify for a credit card. Been there, done that and had to pay through the nose every time I wanted to go for a trip.

It's not necessarily economic compared to car ownership, if you buy a cheap but reliable banger.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
The problem is most people who get off the plane from the UK won't initially qualify for a credit card. Been there, done that and had to pay through the nose every time I wanted to go for a trip.
And similarly, folks just off the plane typically pay through the nose for car insurance.

It's not necessarily economic compared to car ownership, if you buy a cheap but reliable banger.
...which is usually a contradiction in terms.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
They do an Occassional Driving Plan with no monthly membership, just a $60 annual fee.
That's good to know...but I think the folks that I know using it wouldn't qualify as they do use it for their monthly bulk grocery shop etc

Though this would be great for the long holiday weekends away thing
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:54 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's good to know...but I think the folks that I know using it wouldn't qualify as they do use it for their monthly bulk grocery shop etc

Though this would be great for the long holiday weekends away thing
I couldn't find out how many times you can use it but the membership plans hourly/daily rate isn't that much less than the occassional plan so there must be a limit
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised Chicago isn't on the list (especially given some of the ones that are). Although I have a car, I basically don't drive it (unless I'm feeling guilty and take it out for a spin). Admittedly, I did set myself up to live near the El and several bus lines, but location is going to play a role in any city.

To me, a very very very important point to consider is whether a transit system runs 24 hours. I'm not sure about other cities, but this is what most struck me about NYC and Chicago (and not SF). Add in the supreme accessibility of airports and I have nothing but praise for the CTA. All with unlimited access for a princely $86 a month! Compared to NYC, it also has: much lower incidence of random construction works to trap you in the wee hours/on weekends; and (here is the big one) the train operators will re-open the doors for you if you are running toward their train!

As for other accessibility, I managed to have my commute include the path-of-most-good-grocery stores, so even though they aren't strictly close to my house, they are very accessible. Not to mention my own personal number one walkability-factor: bars! Most important thing to be walkable, as far as I'm concerned

Clearly a lot of this comes down to lifestyle!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
To me, a very very very important point to consider is whether a transit system runs 24 hours. I'm not sure about other cities, but this is what most struck me about NYC and Chicago (and not SF).
BART doesn't run for 4 hours or so overnight, but a bunch of bus services do, including across the Bay Bridge:

http://transit.511.org/accessible/pr...allnighter.pdf

I would have put Chicago up there too, even though the El is kind of a dysfunctional subway system in some ways. Plus it's badly in need of investment $$$. Great for getting to/from both airports though.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

My neighborhood gets a walk score of....3. Ouch.
Yup, that's about right. Very car dependent.

The only thing that is walkable is trails (perfect for walking the dog) and a winery (perfect for sending the in-laws to tastings for a few hours to get them out of the house.)
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently in San Diego without a car and so far it's been fine. Albeit, we did pick the neighbourhood we live in for it's transport links to my husband's work. Ideally we do want to get a car but realistically can't afford it until my EAD comes through and I get a job so we are bussing it for the moment.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:31 pm
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

Walk score of 69 from my somewhat walkable San Diego neighborhood.
We couldn't afford to run two cars so I bought a scooter (not a moped). It is fantastic for getting around SD (so long as you don't mind surface streets).
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, what the article doesn't mention is that no matter which city you live in, escaping from that city without a car is essentially impossible.

It's a lot different to the UK where you can jump on the Megabus to Aviemore if you feel like getting out and about for the weekend.
The UK is much smaller and more densely populated to it's more cost effective to provide transportation from A to B. The US is large and not as densely populated so air and car travel are simply more convenient on certain routes. However, you can still escape any US city that has air, rail or bus links without the need for a car. Certainly not "impossible".

Here in the north east of the US (where it's relatively densely populated in US terms), it's pretty easy to travel between cities like Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston by air, train or bus. Escaping Boston to get to places like Cape Cod, Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard is possible without a car.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The UK is much smaller and more densely populated to it's more cost effective to provide transportation from A to B. The US is large and not as densely populated so air and car travel are simply more convenient on certain routes. However, you can still escape any US city that has air, rail or bus links without the need for a car. Certainly not "impossible".

Here in the north east of the US (where it's relatively densely populated in US terms), it's pretty easy to travel between cities like Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston by air, train or bus. Escaping Boston to get to places like Cape Cod, Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard is possible without a car.
That's not the whole story. LA used to have better public transport, but it was killed off by automotive interest groups.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's not the whole story. LA used to have better public transport, but it was killed off by automotive interest groups.
aka the gas and tire companies. Same in the SF Bay Area.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

True, but it's not very cost effect, convenient or easy either. Plus once you've gotten to the other destination, you're kind of plucked for the most part.

Even in Boston, unless you're near the T or a commuter rail, it's not that easy to get to to make use of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.