Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best place in US to live?

Best place in US to live?

Old May 8th 2008, 5:12 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in US to live?

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I'm currently in North Carolina and I like it here...

Go Tar Heels..
There are a couple of job possibilities for OH at the moment and one is in Greensboro NC. The other is in St Louis MO.

We are tempted to consider either of them ....any views on Greensboro?
Old May 8th 2008, 5:20 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
There are a couple of job possibilities for OH at the moment and one is in Greensboro NC. The other is in St Louis MO.

My personal preference is for Winston-Salem, we had a few friends who lived in WS and commuted to Greensboro for work. When we lived there I felt Winston Salem for me had more "character" to it and still had a small town feel, but with plenty to do. Don't know if you've got kids but the schools there were good to.

I'm sure those living in Greensboro will be able to tell you more about the place and share there thoughts.
Old May 8th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Northern VA, 40 miles west of DC and we like it here.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough

It would be nice to know why people like a place, rather than they just do.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried to give you some more info but my 19 month old daughter pressed the delete button so, here we go again:

We like it here in VA as we are close to the mountains, near the capital city and lots of jobs, great schools, great healthcare and four seasons. The town we live in has graceful mansions dating back to the late 1700s and the historic district reminds me a little of England where, you have pavements and little shops and cafes and wine bars etc. There are many towns here with the same sense of history and the countryside is beautiful.

The federal government is the major employer here so, the area is pretty recession proof. There is also a large technology corridor and many universities and colleges.

We have large shopping malls, such as Potomac Mills and Tysons Corner Center, Leesburg Outlet Mall, which, attracts many visitors, as well as the famous Civil War battlefields and famous estates of many of the founding fathers.

There are many waterfront and outdoor recreational amenities such as biking and running trails (the Washington and Old Dominion Rail Trail is the longest paved path in the U.S.; the Mount Vernon Trail, and trails along various stream beds are also popular), whitewater and sea kayaking, and rock climbing areas are focused along the Potomac River. The blue ridge mountains are awesome, especially the skyline drive, the Fall being my favorite time to drive up there.

Transportation is good as we have Dulles International Aiport as well as Ronald Regan National close by so, easy access to planes to Europe and the rest of the States. The traffic in the area is terrible, we suffer from heavy congestion.

I live 40 miles west at the base of the mountains as we wanted a single family home rather than an apartment or townhouse as we have a young family, housing is not cheap here probably similiar to CA and NY.

I hope that helps.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:02 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Greensboro is were I am now and have been for the past 3 yrs...and I can honestly say we love it. DD is in a great school, I don't know how they compare to Winston-Salem but we're very happy and so is DD.

Its a smaller city that Winston Salem (I don't know how much smaller) but its a lovely size town, not to big where its over crowded and not to small where you don't have anything to do or find any good shops..

Its very green as well, it reminds us of a lot like home..(lots of beautiful tree lined streets) and the people in the Carolinas are friendly. The weather here is great...long hot summers and short mild winters. They've totally re-vamped downtown and its now a buzzing place to be on the weekend. If you want specifics Jumping Doris, just give me a shout..

but check this out..

http://www.greensboronc.org/index.cfm
Old May 8th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Nooooooo, don't leave me alone in PA.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Greensboro is were I am now and have been for the past 3 yrs...and I can honestly say we love it. DD is in a great school, I don't know how they compare to Winston-Salem but we're very happy and so is DD.

Its a smaller city that Winston Salem (I don't know how much smaller) but its a lovely size town, not to big where its over crowded and not to small where you don't have anything to do or find any good shops..

Its very green as well, it reminds us of a lot like home..(lots of beautiful tree lined streets) and the people in the Carolinas are friendly. The weather here is great...long hot summers and short mild winters. They've totally re-vamped downtown and its now a buzzing place to be on the weekend. If you want specifics Jumping Doris, just give me a shout..

but check this out..

http://www.greensboronc.org/index.cfm
Thank you. Don't know if anything will come of it.
We are on the horns of a dilema because his worry is that once HQ know he is looking for a move they will choose his location. It's a bit like opening Pandora's box...we don't know what might spring out and we may not be able to close the lid...they're a strange company

Originally Posted by nethead
Nooooooo, don't leave me alone in PA.
You can turn the lights out.
Old May 8th 2008, 10:54 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Don't know if anything will come of it.
We are on the horns of a dilema because his worry is that once HQ know he is looking for a move they will choose his location. It's a bit like opening Pandora's box...we don't know what might spring out and we may not be able to close the lid...they're a strange company

You can turn the lights out.
Yea I know what you mean...if you request one place...its a guarantee that they send you to the other...

No worries, just go with the flow and when the bobbleheads decide then you can start planning...