Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BEST place to live in the USA???

BEST place to live in the USA???

Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:44 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Peter Newton
Sorry, but there's no place like Noo Yawk!
I heartily concur my good Sir!

I could get used to the mid west or a state like Delaware or Maryland though. Large open spaces; huge, brand new houses that go for ess than $200K, and practically everything else is cheaper than NYC.

NYC rocks my socks off though, I'd miss this place, and so'd my wife, though she would'nt admit it
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nathan barley
I heartily concur my good Sir!

I could get used to the mid west or a state like Delaware or Maryland though. Large open spaces; huge, brand new houses that go for ess than $200K, and practically everything else is cheaper than NYC.

NYC rocks my socks off though, I'd miss this place, and so'd my wife, though she would'nt admit it
That would be nice too... a lot of my friends seem to be moving out to Long Island. ALL the way out (i.e. 2 hours drive from the city). It's dirt cheap out there (apart from the Hamptons) but it's such a long way from civilisation!:scared:
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dr. Procter is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be nice too... a lot of my friends seem to be moving out to Long Island. ALL the way out (i.e. 2 hours drive from the city). It's dirt cheap out there (apart from the Hamptons) but it's such a long way from civilisation!:scared:
Recall the saying that goes something like, "To an American,
100 years is a long time; to an Englishman, 100 miles is a long way."

I have to drive fifty miles for a decent grocery store!

D.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:38 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Even an hour or so out of the city up into upstate NY, it's dirt cheap. 5 bed Houses with literally acres of land for under $300,000.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Dominic Godfrey is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for the last 14 years, and absolutely love it here. We have such a great combination of weather, scenery, and business innovation.

I first moved over here working for a british high-tech company, but these days I'm a Realtor (Estate Agent) helping people buy/sell their homes in the San Jose and south bay area.
regards
Dominic
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dominic Godfrey
I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for the last 14 years, and absolutely love it here. We have such a great combination of weather, scenery, and business innovation.

I first moved over here working for a british high-tech company, but these days I'm a Realtor (Estate Agent) helping people buy/sell their homes in the San Jose and south bay area.
regards
Dominic
The bay area is way overpriced.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kentucky

I live in Kentucky...........in case anyone cares!! Its that weird looking state just above TN, minimal paved roads, many families living in caravans with 3 teeth between them, barefoot kids throwing rocks at passing cars, everyone owns a truck........

Enough of the stereotypes, its really quite a beautiful place, im not gonna pretend its on a level with NYC or Chicago, but it really is a great place to live, low cost of living in a growing town, my friends just bought a beautiful 4 bedroom house for 85 grand!!!

The only reason im even mentioning this is because i think im the only person on this board that is living in this area, and wanted to reprazent!!!

Come to Kentucky ya hear?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kentucky

Originally posted by lanky1980
I live in Kentucky...........in case anyone cares!! Its that weird looking state just above TN, minimal paved roads, many families living in caravans with 3 teeth between them, barefoot kids throwing rocks at passing cars, everyone owns a truck........

Enough of the stereotypes, its really quite a beautiful place, im not gonna pretend its on a level with NYC or Chicago, but it really is a great place to live, low cost of living in a growing town, my friends just bought a beautiful 4 bedroom house for 85 grand!!!

The only reason im even mentioning this is because i think im the only person on this board that is living in this area, and wanted to reprazent!!!

Come to Kentucky ya hear?
Thanks for sharing and representing as you so called put it. What about jobs???????
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BEST place to live in the USA???

Originally posted by whatever
Okay so lets just pretend that we have our visa's/gc's and the USA is our Oyster!

Where is the BEST place to live in the Whole of America and why?

Depends on you and your family, doesn't it? If you have young kids, you might be in one place.. but for retirement, you might be in another.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

bunny001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Well I am USC,on this board trying to get some answers and help as I have UK boyfriend,what a darm tangled mess immigration is!
Anyways Im USC my whole life,and Ive been alot of places here,I grew up in washington state and theres no place better to live!
Unless you really love hot weather,and then,someone posted about Destin Florida..Well,THAT is the most beautiful and brilliant place Ive ever seen,white sand as far as you can see,in fact I just had my bag of sand out yesterday showing my boyfriend,it literally looks like snow..Anyone going to visit florida,DO see Destin,its so much nicer than most of the rest of florida...
Any other Brits in the Northwest,wed love to hear from you!
Bunny
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jaytee
Depends on you and your family, doesn't it? If you have young kids, you might be in one place.. but for retirement, you might be in another.

I agree. I live in central New Jersey. The schools are great and the commute into NYC is not bad. However, once my kids are off to college, I am heading down to Florida. The good news is we only have 5 more years to go.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kentucky

Originally posted by veryfunny
Thanks for sharing and representing as you so called put it. What about jobs???????
Well, hmmmm, jobs can be hard to come by in this town (Bowling Green), there is a thriving university (WKU) which seems to be the cheif employer in town, a lot of people commute to Nashville which is only an hour away and is an awesome city, i've travelled extensively across the USA and Nashville is right up there with the best for a good night out, i had my stag night there and i think it was awesome......its all still a bit fuzzy!!!

Out of interest, anyone else live in KY or TN? If so where?