Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best place in LA for a young adult?

Best place in LA for a young adult?

Old May 15th 2013, 11:29 am
Just Joined

lashawnmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best place in LA for a young adult?

Im 21 and want to go to an area in Los Angeles that is good for going out and meeting other young people. I'm a personal trainer so a lot of people have recommended Santa Monica for business reasons. Does anyone know what Santa Monica's like? Is there any specific places that are known for having a young community and good nightlife?

Thanks,
Lash
Old May 15th 2013, 12:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in LA for a young adult?

You're a US citizen aren't you? Can't remember.

Well, I guess it's all down to budget. I know some folks in SM, they love it, but pay through the roof compared to living in other areas.

Anyway, quite a few threads on LA and SM, so might have some luck finding some recentish threads to get you started.
Old May 15th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lashawnmartin View Post
Im 21 and want to go to an area in Los Angeles that is good for going out and meeting other young people. I'm a personal trainer so a lot of people have recommended Santa Monica for business reasons. Does anyone know what Santa Monica's like? Is there any specific places that are known for having a young community and good nightlife?

Thanks,
Lash
Check out the BritsInLA group on Facebook. Lots of young people (mostly luvvies) and a forum for property as well.

Santa Monica is very nice but can be expensive and the weather is a little cooler than other parts of LA.
Old May 15th 2013, 6:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Lash
Are you thinking of moving to LA, or just planning a 90-day VWP visit there?

Rene
Old May 15th 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

lashawnmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Are you thinking of moving to LA, or just planning a 90-day VWP visit there?

Rene
I'm moving out there. Moving date is 21st June. One way flight is booked and payed for. Really starting to get a lil nervous about it! :s
Old May 15th 2013, 6:27 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

In most American cities, including Los Angeles, it's generally expected that you drive to much of your entertainment and employment. A lot of your housing choices may be determined by what you can afford. (Presumably, you'll want to start out with a roommate -- in US English, that's usually equivalent to a flatmate, i.e. having a private bedroom -- in order to save money.)

I think that you could create a corridor on a map roughly between Santa Monica and Venice to the west and Hollywood/ Miracle Mile to the east, and live just about anywhere in that zone that your budget allows. (If you're gay, then somewhere close to Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood is particularly where you'll want to be.)

Another alternative would be the "South Bay" cities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Torrance. That area are generally pretty affluent and have a beach culture, which could be good for business.
Old May 15th 2013, 6:46 pm
Ex Expat

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

(If you can afford the rent )- you couldn't pick a better place to live, given what you've told us about yourself:
Santa Monica - unlike so many other LA neighborhoods - actually has a vibrant street life (people actually WALK). There are tons of restaurants of all ethnicities, bars, sidewalk cafes, shops, boutiques, cinemas....it rocks!
Plus the beach with views of sun setting over Malibu
As a personal trainer - well you'll be coming to your Nirvana.... a place where one cannot ever be too rich, too skinny or too toned.
Personal trainers are highly prized here
And so perhaps - if you do find rents rather steep - you might be able to come to an arrangement where you might swap your expertise with a potential landlord for rent free lodging. (Never hurts to ask, right?)
Great good luck!
Old May 15th 2013, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

South Bay beach areas:

Hermosa, Huntingdon, Redondo etc

All fun, full of activity places. Accommodation is not cheap, but then anywhere in LA which has cheap housing is, usually, not a good place to live anyway.
Old May 15th 2013, 8:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving out there. Moving date is 21st June. One way flight is booked and payed for. Really starting to get a lil nervous about it! :s
I assume you have an appropriate visa in hand?

Rene
Old May 15th 2013, 9:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently he's a dual cit.
Old May 16th 2013, 1:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Santa Monica and Venice. I'm down there most weekends. Great for Brits. To live though, I'm currently looking to move closer to the beach and I'm hearing nothing but good things about Manhattan / Hermosa / Redondo.

One thing about PTs. There's some hoo hah at the moment with the Santa Monica council trying to take a cut of any personal training done in public areas. Not sure how that's gonna pan out.