Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best place to give birth in The Triad (North Carolina)

Best place to give birth in The Triad (North Carolina)

Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to give birth in The Triad (North Carolina)

In which ever hospital your medical insurance will cover, that your doctor is attached to.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving to Asheville, NC next month and will be 6 months pregnant! I am a US citizen but always lived in UK. Luckily I have been told i will qualify for Medicaid to cover pregnancy and birth, and insurance would have been out of question as pregnancy pre existing so can't get health insurance if already pregnant?
I have looked at some local parent websites to get advice on maternity services and will try to get to grips with it as soon as there.
I am kind of lookng forward to seeing how they do things there, this is baby no.3 for me and hope for another home birth.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jukes
I am moving to Asheville, NC next month and will be 6 months pregnant! I am a US citizen but always lived in UK. Luckily I have been told i will qualify for Medicaid to cover pregnancy and birth, and insurance would have been out of question as pregnancy pre existing so can't get health insurance if already pregnant?
I have looked at some local parent websites to get advice on maternity services and will try to get to grips with it as soon as there.
I am kind of lookng forward to seeing how they do things there, this is baby no.3 for me and hope for another home birth.
You're a USC, so that changes things.

Though NHS is considered coverage, so as long as you get medical insurance in the US within 62 days, you'd be considered having creditable coverage and they can't deny the pre-existing.

Good luck with the home birth, usually a case of you pay up front for that and try to get reimbursed from insurance if they'll cover it and a mid wife
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

in addition to what Bob said, just remember and get proof of having had NHS coverage
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She is going to use Medicaid.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

What is most recognised proof of NHS coverage, letter from GP?
I will need cover for anything unrelated to the pregnancy, i have asthma, so the NHS coverage may come in to play for that? And/or the Obamacare?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

What is most recognised proof of NHS coverage, letter from GP?
I will need cover for anything unrelated to the pregnancy, i have asthma, so the NHS coverage may come in to play for that? And/or the Obamacare?
If you've got medical insurance and there has not been a gap of cover of more than 62 days, they will have to cover the pre-existing, so the pregnancy, asthma etc will be covered.

What you will need to show as proof of NHS coverage will depend on what the insurance company want to see, letter from the NHS trust or GP, but your Healthcard should also do. There is a generic message somewhere on the HIPAA page somewhere on the government site that lists the NHS as creditable coverage that people have printed and used in the past, you'll have to google that yourself though.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:34 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that homebirths and midwives are legal there, they aren't permitted in all states. In Oregon we had to change our insurance coverage in order to have our midwife recognised as a provider.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

SaulProvider is an unknown quantity at this point

Darn it seems so complicated!!

After your posts I tried to find more information but the best I got was this (which does not necessarily and entirely help here): http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

My company tells me that our health insurance will be provided by the company and that it is an international insurance called CIGNA, so we won't really have a US insurance.

I don't understand much anymore! Any experience with this CIGNA stuff?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

CIGNA is a big health insurance company here in the US , perhaps those that you spoke to meant that they are an international company?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It has been a few years but CIGNA was a very large Corporate travel insurer in the UK.

Do you have any details?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

heres a link to the CIGNA site, the only reason i put it as a large health insurance company as i know of them from my personal experience of working in the billing office of an Oncology doctors office

http://www.cigna.com/
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

SaulProvider is an unknown quantity at this point

On CIGNA's webpage I could not find much about pregnancy coverage...
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

they will offer a myriad of policies so it is very dependant on the policy of your OH's workplace
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

zaze is just really nicezaze is just really nicezaze is just really nicezaze is just really nicezaze is just really nicezaze is just really nicezaze is just really nicezaze is just really nice

Jukes

Check out the website Charlotte mommies, they are a great resource for info as a new and existing parent, thye should have a group for Asheville. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.