Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy appliances?

Best place to buy appliances?

Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to buy appliances?

I just got a great deal on a fridge at HD, got my current washer and dryer from them, great service both times, great deals, and I was happy with the delivery.

I got my last washer dryer set from Sears, same thing - great deal, happy with the delivery.

I've never bought from Sears Appliance Outlet but you can check their stock online, and even see photos of the actual item on some listings.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:18 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the replies people. We will be in Colorado and close to some fairly large towns so will check out Sears as well......

What would be the equivalent of John Lewis? It's just that most of the larger chain stores tend not to stock some of the less common manufacturers. We are installing a new kitchen & utility room soon so will be looking for all new appliances. In the UK we have been used to Bosch and Miele which have never gone wrong in over 8 years so would love to stick with them where possible.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
Thanks for all the replies people. We will be in Colorado and close to some fairly large towns so will check out Sears as well......

What would be the equivalent of John Lewis? It's just that most of the larger chain stores tend not to stock some of the less common manufacturers. We are installing a new kitchen & utility room soon so will be looking for all new appliances. In the UK we have been used to Bosch and Miele which have never gone wrong in over 8 years so would love to stick with them where possible.
Bosch products are widely available, through regular appliance retailers, as per all the above advice, however Miele is only available though a very limited range of distributors. I just realised this what you were asking, but you hadn't specified you were interested in high-end ultra-premium appliances. Here is a link to Miele distributors: Miele distributors in the US.

So back to your original question, there are special kitchen design studios in most larger towns and cities, and they have exclusive distribution rights on high-end and pseudo-commercial appliances (ones that look like the ones in professional kitchens but are tailored for home safety, so for example the stoves have better insulation so they don't get as hot on the outside), including the ones I mentioned above, Viking, Subzero and Wolf, also GE Monogram, and I presume it's going to be the same places that sell Miele products.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 18th 2013 at 10:40 am.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:29 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh if you are looking to spend big bucks for sexy appliances, subzero-wolf.com, they have a showroom in Houston @ $16,000 for a fridge freezer, but you wouldn't need a telly cos you would just sit in front of it and talk dirty to it all day
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:09 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

Thanks Pulaski....when I looked online at the big 3 retailers I struggled to find much in the way of Bosch et al. I will investigate the avenues you suggest. We don't want to spend silly money on appliances, it's more about reliability and longevity for me. I have seen a Samsung fridge that has a tablet on the front that can play the Pandora app amongst other things, one of which is dragging things you need to buy at shopping which updates automatically to your cell phone ....great idea IMO
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the equivalent of John Lewis?
Macy's, JCP, Sears...But they're not likely to flog the big brands you're talking about.

Thing is, how long you plan on living in the place? And is the brand premium worth more than replacing with a more efficient, newer model every 5-8 years? Product cost/life cycle means very rarely is it worth looking for something that'll last 10 years, unless you're looking for professional gear.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:23 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

We aren't planning on moving again, so in for the long haul.

Unbelievably, just got an email from our management team looking after the home we have bought, which has tenants in....the email states the dishwasher is up the swanny! You couldn't have written it! Anyway, they repair was going to cost $500 which seemed ridiculous so I've just bought a Bosch model from Best Buy for $700, which to me makes much more sense.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... I have seen a Samsung fridge that has a tablet on the front that can play the Pandora app amongst other things, one of which is dragging things you need to buy at shopping which updates automatically to your cell phone ....great idea IMO
IMO you'd be buying a fridge with more points of failure and which will become obsolete more quickly. The last thing I want is a fridge that needs software upgrades or can be hacked by the Russian mafia. If having your grocery list on a tablet in the kitchen is such a good idea, buy a tablet and keep it in your kitchen. .... I'll guarantee it's cheaper to buy a fridge that does fridge things and a tablet that does tablety stuff, including running Pandora, and when either fails, it doesn't take down the whole contraption. Do you remember the world changing idea of the combined TV and VCR?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the equivalent of John Lewis?
If only.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Best Buy now has a deal with Pacific Sales. PS is where we purchased our appliances some years back.

One thing to remember is that there is room for bargaining in appliance purchases. So, google and amazon.com might be your friends - to get "we'll beat" or "we will match" prices. [That said, be careful on the model numbers].

If you are buying a front-loader washing machine, do note that many have an inherent short life span if they use aluminum for the "spider." [Google "aluminum spider corrosion" and you will see what I mean.]
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Best Buy now has a deal with Pacific Sales. PS is where we purchased our appliances some years back.

One thing to remember is that there is room for bargaining in appliance purchases. So, google and amazon.com might be your friends - to get "we'll beat" or "we will match" prices. [That said, be careful on the model numbers].

If you are buying a front-loader washing machine, do note that many have an inherent short life span if they use aluminum for the "spider." [Google "aluminum spider corrosion" and you will see what I mean.]
I've had my front loader for 15 years. Not had a problem with the spider thingy.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've had my front loader for 15 years. Not had a problem with the spider thingy.
Mine went nine years with no problems that were apparent. This google search demonstrates what the thing looks like when it happens.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If having your grocery list on a tablet in the kitchen is such a good idea, buy a tablet and keep it in your kitchen.
Perhaps in the form of a pad of paper attached to your refrigerator door with a magnet ...

Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by md95065
Perhaps in the form of a pad of paper attached to your refrigerator door with a magnet ...

http://images1.vat19.com/pushpin-mag...to-do-list.jpg
Looks like obsolete technology to me.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be off to Sears if I needed a new appliance. With a combination of my Discover card and Plink I can currently get 21% off anything at Sears, and that's on top of any discounts Sears is offering.

For Lowes, get your hands on a 10% movers coupon and then buy Lowes gift cards online at a discount - look at GiftCardGranny. Alternatively check via Cashbackholics for the best cashback portals for your preferred retailer.

No one should ever pay the sticker price for anything.

Last edited by tonrob; Nov 19th 2013 at 1:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.