British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best mobile phone provider (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-mobile-phone-provider-895504/)

hungryhorace Apr 18th 2017 3:53 pm

Re: Best mobile phone provider

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12231763)
Oh yeah, although I wince every time I see my bill, I realize if you want decent phone coverage in a county this size, you gotta pay for it.

How much do you pay out of interest? I presume this is with VZW?

VZW prepaid - through a Walmart purchased SIM - was recently offering 12GB for $70 and 7GB for $50. That's really very good value IMO. VZW prepaid comes with VoLTE/WiFi and superb coverage.

markonline1 Apr 18th 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12231768)
How much do you pay out of interest? I presume this is with VZW?

VZW prepaid - through a Walmart purchased SIM - was recently offering 12GB for $70 and 7GB for $50. That's really very good value IMO. VZW prepaid comes with VoLTE/WiFi and superb coverage.

Actually, it's not too bad. Just checked it. $112. Thought it was nearer 150. Gone down because I now get my phone through Apple. It's due to go down a gain, as we don't use anywhere near the 12gb of data we used to know I've got the home wifi sorted. Also get a discount through Fidelity.

hungryhorace Apr 18th 2017 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12231785)
Actually, it's not too bad. Just checked it. $112. Thought it was nearer 150. Gone down because I now get my phone through Apple. It's due to go down a gain, as we don't use anywhere near the 12gb of data we used to know I've got the home wifi sorted. Also get a discount through Fidelity.

Sounds like you're overpaying, frankly...

markonline1 Apr 18th 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12231875)
Sounds like you're overpaying, frankly...

That's for 2 lines.

hungryhorace Apr 18th 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12231912)
That's for 2 lines.

Ah. Minor detail ;)

That's not bad then. Still cheaper on prepaid (potentially!).

cautiousjon Apr 18th 2017 8:26 pm

I pay $30 pre-pay for T-Mobile's 5 GB LTE, 100 minutes and unlimited text plan. T-Mobile's coverage is great around the big cities, and it's rural coverage has definitely been getting better over the years, although it's still lacking in many areas. I find that it tends to be quite state-specific. Missouri, for example, has terrible T-Mobile coverage outside of many of the big cities, but it's not so bad in California.

One potentially large benefit of T-Mobile is it's BingeOn service, whereby cellular data to/from certain streaming services (e.g. Spotify, Google Play Music, Apple Music, Vimeo, YouTube, Hulu, etc) is "zero-rated" (i.e. free). I am a fairly active user of Google Play Music and YouTube and regularly use more than my 5 GB LTE data cap with streaming from just those two services, so the BingeOn service is a great perk for me. :)

hungryhorace Apr 19th 2017 2:59 am

The excellent $30 plan you are on is now deprecated unfortunately.

Pulaski Apr 19th 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12232284)

disapproved of? :confused:

hungryhorace Apr 19th 2017 1:15 pm

https://techterms.com/definition/deprecated

"In the world of software development, "deprecated" refers to functions or elements that are in the process of being replaced by newer ones. The term comes from the word "deprecate," which means to disapprove of something."

;)

petitefrancaise Apr 19th 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12232284)

yeah, I know I have been on this plan for 3 years or so.. I just added a new line to it for $0!! So that's 4 lines with 1gb each (plenty for me and the kids since most of our use is wifi and they are at school most of the day and then the binge on thing), 1 line has unlimited international calling and texting and all for $145.

mrken30 Apr 19th 2017 3:27 pm

If you sign up with comcast you get access to loads of hotspots, this can also reduce your data usage.

hungryhorace Apr 19th 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12232830)
If you sign up with comcast you get access to loads of hotspots, this can also reduce your data usage.

**** Comcast. Don't give them your business unless you absolutely have to.

Rete Apr 19th 2017 3:42 pm

I prefer two tin cans with a long piece of string between them. ;)

mrken30 Apr 19th 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12232852)
I prefer two tin cans with a long piece of string between them. ;)

That's the service provided by Frontier.

aless02 Apr 19th 2017 4:17 pm

Are there any websites comparable to uSwitch or MoneySupermarket or the like that allow one to compare cell providers?? Or TV/internet too, but I realize I'm getting off-topic from the OP.