British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best mobile phone provider (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-mobile-phone-provider-895504/)

markonline1 Apr 17th 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Best mobile phone provider

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12230838)
Depends on location and budget. In cities you can get service much more cheaply from local or regional phone companies, but service in the outer suburbs and away from cities may be unreliable or unavailable.

If cost isn't an issue then Verizon is probably the best overall, nationwide. ATT is a close second-best. Sprint and T-Mobile are cheaper but have less coverage, especially outside of urban areas.

This. Once you leave the cities, you will see coverage change dramatically. I took advantage of a t-mobile test drive where I could have the phone for a few days. I guess my area would be classed as fairly rural. As soon as I left any built up town, I completely lost coverage. Verizon seem pretty good in my area of keeping coverage even in the less built up areas.
As well as the quality of coverage, the other big difference you'll notice about cell phones out here is the price. They are expensive!

sarasota chic Apr 17th 2017 5:18 pm

Does that also apply to iPads I have an iPad Air will that work on just wifi or a sim?

sherbert Apr 17th 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12230858)
A UK iPhone 5S isn't going to work too well in the US - it won't work on Verizon (or Sprint, but they're rubbish so no great loss) full stop because it hasn't got CDMA and it doesn't support most of AT&T or T-Mobile's LTE bands.

My unlocked iPhone 5 works perfectly with T-mobile LTE so not quite sure where you got your info from. T-mobile global is very handy if you travel a lot (free roaming worldwide, unlimited calls in US and unlimited texts when in the US and abroad). $120/month for two phones.

Coverage is patchy outside of the main cities though and in some areas you won't have a choice of providers for this reason.

Olly_ Apr 17th 2017 5:35 pm

I didn't say it won't work full stop, it's not ideal though. T-Mobile uses Band 2, 4 and 12 LTE and the iPhone 5S sold in the UK only supports one of those, band 2.

Olly_ Apr 17th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12230929)
Does that also apply to iPads I have an iPad Air will that work on just wifi or a sim?

What model is your iPad exactly?

If you go in to Settings > General > About > Legal > Regulatory the model number (begins with an A and has 4 numbers) should be listed at the top.

Pulaski Apr 17th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12230921)
This. Once you leave the cities, you will see coverage change dramatically. ....

There used to be a couple of places where calls would drop on AT&T service if I was on the phone while driving home. The service eventually improved, but it was only a year or so back when service improved at Pulaski Manor enough for us to have fairly reliable :fingerscrossed: service at home. We got quite used to getting voice mails for calls that never rang or hanging over the banister trying to find enough of a signal to make a call. There wasn't much of a signal even if we went outside and wandered around the yard looking for a signal. :(

petitefrancaise Apr 17th 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12230954)
There used to be a couple of places where calls would drop on AT&T service if I was on the phone while driving home. The service eventually improved, but it was only a year or so back when service improved at Pulaski Manor enough for us to have fairly reliable :fingerscrossed: service at home. We got quite used to getting voice mails for calls that never rang or hanging over the banister trying to find enough of a signal to make a call. There wasn't much of a signal even if we went outside and wandered around the yard looking for a signal. :(

we had this and t-mobile gave us a free booster thing for the house. works great.

like others have said, t-mobile works fine in the cities/towns. Not so great outside of them. Mind you, my experience of losing signal is limited to west texas and new mexico where there is sweet FA anyway.

Just a smallish thing that I noticed -
t-mobile phones bought here in the USA will make calls using wifi abroad. A non-t-mobile phone even with a t-mobile sim won't.

mrken30 Apr 17th 2017 6:46 pm

I'm not sure what 4G options are on the iphone, but T-mobile uses channel 12 I believe , which is not available on all models of phone.

Also what do you call best? Best service or best value?

Also do you require tethering?

petitefrancaise Apr 17th 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by highland_123 (Post 12230850)
Thanks for the replies so far. It is an iphone 5s. Starting to age a bit I am still happy with it. Very much team Iphone and I think just with moving over to begin with I'll be paying out for a lot of things. Just out of curiousity, if I were to get a new iphone and plan what would be the minimum I would be paying per month? Would I need to have built up credit?

TIA.

W

yes. you will need credit history to do this.
without credit history or at the very least a ssn you will also need to get a pre-paid cellphone plan.

t-mobile do one which is pretty good and compares favourably to their regular post paid one and I think verizon)?) also does a pre-paid one. All this means is that you pay in advance for the next month of usage instead of paying at the end of the month. It's all organised the same way so you don't really notice any difference.,

Olly_ Apr 17th 2017 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12230985)
Just a smallish thing that I noticed -
t-mobile phones bought here in the USA will make calls using wifi abroad. A non-t-mobile phone even with a t-mobile sim won't.

That's an Android quirk - a compatible iPhone will get Wi-Fi calling on any of the US networks no matter where it came from.

Some networks restrict it to certain models though, T-Mobile has Wi-Fi calling from the 5c/5S up but AT&T and Verizon only allow Wi-Fi calling on the iPhone 6 and up.

sarasota chic Apr 17th 2017 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12230945)
What model is your iPad exactly?

If you go in to Settings > General > About > Legal > Regulatory the model number (begins with an A and has 4 numbers) should be listed at the top.

It's an iPad Air 1 the model number is:A1474.

Olly_ Apr 17th 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12231061)
It's an iPad Air 1 the model number is:A1474.

A1474 is a Wi-Fi only iPad so it has no cellular radio.

sarasota chic Apr 17th 2017 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12231066)
A1474 is a Wi-Fi only iPad so it has no cellular radio.

Okay so I shouldn't have any problems using it in the USA as its only wifi.

aless02 Apr 18th 2017 8:39 am

I was under the impression that all 'modern' phones worked in both countries with a new SIM! :-O is there a place or website to check capability? Husband and I both have relatively new Androids!

tom169 Apr 18th 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by aless02 (Post 12231376)
I was under the impression that all 'modern' phones worked in both countries with a new SIM! :-O is there a place or website to check capability? Husband and I both have relatively new Androids!

There may be a form on the network's website that will check using the phone's IMEI number.