Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best lake-town destinations in the South East

Best lake-town destinations in the South East

Old Jun 15th 2020, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best lake-town destinations in the South East

Originally Posted by petepete99
They both sound right up our street!
Lake Lure is a beautiful area, not familiar with the other, and if you need to sell it to the family just tell them it's where Dirty Dancing was filmed....
Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Hmmm, the non-coastal areas of the Carolinas and Georgia are not prime tourist regions. .....
I suspect that the residents of the NC Appalachians, and notably Asheville, would dispute that assertion! Not everyone wants to go to the beach for their vacation.

There are certainly vacation rentals available on the lakes near Charlotte, NC (Wylie, Mountain Island, and Norman) though that is a fair way from the mountains, but I would assume that somewhere like Lake James would also have some vacation rentals. If you don't want water-front rental but access to lakes then you will have more choices. And to others' point, there isn't much in the way of resort developments, at least not on NC lakes, AFAIK.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Lake Lure is a beautiful area, not familiar with the other, and if you need to sell it to the family just tell them it's where Dirty Dancing was filmed....
Yes, I found that out when I Googled it last week!
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that the residents of the NC Appalachians, and notably Asheville, would dispute that assertion! Not everyone wants to go to the beach for their vacation.

There are certainly vacation rentals available on the lakes near Charlotte, NC (Wylie, Mountain Island, and Norman) though that is a fair way from the mountains, but I would assume that somewhere like Lake James would also have some vacation rentals. If you don't want water-front rental but access to lakes then you will have more choices. And to others' point, there isn't much in the way of resort developments, at least not on NC lakes, AFAIK.
I think if there's a way, we're going to try and incorporate some sort of trip or stop-off in Asheville as I hear it's a great town (city). Right now the plan is on hold while we concentrate on more important things i.e. getting married on July 3rd so we can get my Green Card process started!