Reload this Page >

Best Indian Restaurants - WA, OR, CA etc

Best Indian Restaurants - WA, OR, CA etc

Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:03 am
Just Joined

marzipan71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Best Indian Restaurants - WA, OR, CA etc

Hi!

This may have been covered already (although I couldn't find it in a searchof the Forum) but as restaurants can change or go out of business, it may need a refresh.

As an expat just recently arrived in Seattle, I was wondering which Indian restaurant other expats thought was the best in Seattle? A Brit I met told me none of the curries are very hot, although as someone who likes a nice dhansak or a rhogan josh that doesn't really matter to me. Just looking for a good regular Indian restaurant that does poppadoms, mixed tandoori starter, a good dhansak, pilau rice, chapattis, and tarka dhal. Yum. I'm probably stretching it to ask for a nice cold pint of Cobra. Anyhow, votes please!

If anyone would like to nominate other places on the west coast it might also be of interest!

I did manage to find a few places that stock and ship Pataks pastes here - The Indian Foodstore (you can google it) is one. Managed to get hard-to-find korma paste (its for my wife, she's a korma kitten!). But its not the same as the restaurant experience...

Now I've just made myself hungry...

Thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:57 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Indian Restaurants - WA, OR, CA etc

You can find everything you need to make a proper curry in any Freddies on the British food shelves.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Hey thanks! I guess what I was getting at was the whole curry experience of eating at a curry house in England. There are quite a few curry places in and around Seattle but was just looking to see if anyone had a particular favourite. We ate at a place in Whistler (Tandoori Grill) last weekend and it was pretty good - the curries were great, but there were no poppadoms like the way the come in the UK. But it was a good place. Just looking to see if anyone had similar recommendations for Seattle. I do have a bunch of Patak's pastes arriving from a web place, and looking forward to cooking my own!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marzipan71
Hey thanks! I guess what I was getting at was the whole curry experience of eating at a curry house in England. There are quite a few curry places in and around Seattle but was just looking to see if anyone had a particular favourite. We ate at a place in Whistler (Tandoori Grill) last weekend and it was pretty good - the curries were great, but there were no poppadoms like the way the come in the UK. But it was a good place. Just looking to see if anyone had similar recommendations for Seattle. I do have a bunch of Patak's pastes arriving from a web place, and looking forward to cooking my own!
I think there are more Indian restaurants in Portland OR than in Seattle.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: Best Indian Restaurants - WA, OR, CA etc

Maybe a weekend in Portland beckons then! They do the poppadoms? Chicken chilli masala? Free Baileys at the end of the meal?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:47 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
I think there are more Indian restaurants in Portland OR than in Seattle.
If there are any decent Indians in Portland I haven't found them. Not even seen one worth going inside in the almost 5 years I've been here. They seem very ordinary and very expensive.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marzipan71
Maybe a weekend in Portland beckons then! They do the poppadoms? Chicken chilli masala? Free Baileys at the end of the meal?
I'm as partial to an Indian meal as much as the next curry monster - and I have yet to find 'British-style' plain poppadoms in the USA.

The person who comes on and announces that they have had better start making up the spare room... (and stick a bog roll in the fridge while they're at it).
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Not just Seattle, but a lot of Western Washington has a very big Indian culture. I'm sure (without a doubt) you can find what you're looking for here. I do like curries, but have not attempted to look for an Indian restaurant.

I googled and came up with this:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/1/31/Sea...an-Restaurants

But you can easily do this yourself. Be brave, go out and try a few!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

NickHH is an unknown quantity at this point

I also struggled to find a good Indian restaurant in PDX. The best I found in Oregon was Evergreen in Corvallis. They also have a place in Eugene.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm as partial to an Indian meal as much as the next curry monster - and I have yet to find 'British-style' plain poppadoms in the USA.

The person who comes on and announces that they have had better start making up the spare room... (and stick a bog roll in the fridge while they're at it).
Spare room made up Tonrob!!! I go to our local Indian supermarket and they have the poppadoms just like back home, they come in a packet and you have to deep fry them, but they taste just as they would back home. I have them alongside spiced onions that I make myself. I'd send you some but I think they'd probably get broken in transit
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:29 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Spare room made up Tonrob!!! I go to our local Indian supermarket and they have the poppadoms just like back home, they come in a packet and you have to deep fry them, but they taste just as they would back home. I have them alongside spiced onions that I make myself. I'd send you some but I think they'd probably get broken in transit
Aye - you're probably right.

I did once have an Indian friend who lived in Edinburgh. Her mother, who lived in London, used to make chapattis and post them to her!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

My fav in Seattle is in Ballard.
India Bistro
Market and Ballard Ave

One of the reasons its my favorit is: They can make chai (with milk in it, how hard is it to put bloody milk in a drink that is famous for having tea, milk, sugar and a few spices - Hot water and spices is not chai!)

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 12th 2011 at 4:47 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I've struggled to find a good Indian place around Seattle. Oddly, all the ones I tried were very British-based, not actually Indian food but the type of food you'd get in an Indian restaurant in Britain. Unfortunately, the Indian people I knew didn't know of any good Indian restaurants either. None of them were bad, just none that were great.

Fred Meyer's Indian section is mostly British-based stuff too, so Patak's sauces were in there, and some mini poppadoms. Fortunately I have a wife who made sure to learn Indian cooking while in the UK, so I get my curry fix from her meals.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Another favourite, that I have not been to for a while since moving house, I did not think of it straight away as it is not strictly a curry house.

Kabul in Wallingford
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your posts! I used Urban Spoon and definitely found a few to try. I guess the point of my post was just to see if anyone had a favourite! Urban Spoon gives ratings though and there is one near me in Lynnwood which gets great reviews.

No poppadoms though!