British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best FOX News line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-fox-news-line-277655/)

syllk Jan 15th 2005 9:54 am

Best FOX News line

As I was reading the other night, FOX News happened to be on the TV, when all of a sudden I heard, "...and Southern Californians, who are widely recognised as some of the best drivers in the world..."

I spluttered so much I almost spat me drink halfway across the room...

Patrick Jan 15th 2005 11:38 am

Re: Best FOX News line

Originally Posted by syllk
As I was reading the other night, FOX News happened to be on the TV, when all of a sudden I heard, "...and Southern Californians, who are widely recognised as some of the best drivers in the world..."

Last month they devoted a lot of time to "Europes liberal free speech" laws and decided they needed to addressed. Apparently our free speech is too free. And this is supposed to be the land of the free!

On a related note, we don't have freedom of the press in europe like they do here because of the laws governing journalism, Fox News could not exist in europe because it is not fair and balanced, oh and isnt it owned by Bush and Jews?

NC Penguin Jan 15th 2005 2:17 pm

Maybe the comment was thrown in there to make sure the viewing audience was awake or just added for laughs....

NC Penguin

Bob Jan 15th 2005 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
... oh and isnt it owned by Bush and Jews?

It is a bit of a dodgy news channel....but I don't know if it's owned by a Bush, but at the least, one of 'em runs it....

Patrick Jan 15th 2005 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
It is a bit of a dodgy news channel....but I don't know if it's owned by a Bush, but at the least, one of 'em runs it....

Keep up Bob, its satirical after samireh in the support our troops post. Fox News is owned by News Corp International which everyone knows is owned by Rupert Murdoch who also owns Sky in the UK. As far as I know, Rupert is not Jewish but he is Australian

John Ellis is GWB's Bush's cousin and is a high ranking exec at Fox News, apparently it was he who decided to call GWB the winner in the 2000 election (remember no news channel would say who won because it was so close, fox was the first to call before the votes where in). He was quoted as saying "I am loyal to my cousin, Governor George Bush of Texas. I put that loyalty ahead of my loyalty to anyone else outside my immediate family" before he was hired!

Jeb Bush (gov of fl) is John Ellis Bush (JEB) after his cousin.

The Bond Villain in Tomorrow never dies was based on Rupert Murdoch, the decision about Jonathan Pryce playing his character with an Ausie accent was taken at the last minute (he has a british accent in the movie)

Bob Jan 15th 2005 4:03 pm

Keep up Bob, its satirical after samireh in the support our troops post.
John Ellis is GWB's Bush's cousin and is a high ranking exec at Fox News, apparently it was he who decided to call GWB the winner in the 2000 election ....

The first bit, I got, the second, that's the bush I was thinking of :)

tony126 Jan 15th 2005 4:26 pm

Fox News could not exist in europe because it is not fair and balanced, oh and isnt it owned by Bush and Jews?[/QUOTE]

So what is 'fair and balanced? I have yet to see one.

Patrick Jan 15th 2005 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Fox News could not exist in europe because it is not fair and balanced, oh and isnt it owned by Bush and Jews?

So what is 'fair and balanced? I have yet to see one.[/QUOTE]

Just look at the difference between Sky News and Fox News, Fox News is Info-tainment. Its main function is as an entertainment channel and not a news channel, it is not there to give facts about the news. In america you can say anything and not have to prove it, you could call yourself Dr Tony. The fact you do not have a doctorette is redundant.

Sky news cannot report the news in europe as cavalier and with no regard for the facts, european law dictates that news show can only relay facts and not opinion disguised as a fact. It also has to give respect to both sides of a story, during the gulf war the BBC and Sky reported how innocent Iraqi villagers where killed in bombing raids, this was not reported in the US as it did not need to be (one sided news) and the fact americans only want to know good news (they are freeing people from an evil dictator) not that innocents are dying.

I have read your post 20 times and cant see the point you are making.

tony126 Jan 15th 2005 5:17 pm

I have read your post 20 times and cant see the point you are making.

The points you make are valid and cannot be disputed but I was comparing it with other major TV channels in the US. I would take a lot of convincing if someone was trying to prove that one of them major was un-biased. The BBC has always scored very high in my book and I refer to their web-page for news.

Patrick Jan 15th 2005 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
The points you make are valid and cannot be disputed but I was comparing it with other major TV channels in the US. I would take a lot of convincing if someone was trying to prove that one of them major was un-biased. The BBC has always scored very high in my book and I refer to their web-page for news.

You are correct, they are all biased, the only thing is Fox doesn't even try and hide it. The news channels are quickly going the same way as the radio shows.

syllk Jan 15th 2005 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Maybe the comment was thrown in there to make sure the viewing audience was awake or just added for laughs....

If it was thrown in for laughs, the presenter must be a comic genius with awe-inspiring deadpan delivery.

But I very much doubt that.

Bob Jan 15th 2005 10:01 pm

If it was thrown in for laughs, the presenter must be a comic genius with awe-inspiring deadpan delivery.

any chance of irony perhaps? :D

rincewind Jan 16th 2005 12:15 am

Best Fox News line?

"George Bush is the President of the United States"

I thought that was hilarious ;)

Celtic_Angel Jan 16th 2005 12:32 am

good boy! would have been a terrible waste of a nice Merlot :p :D

Franklin Jan 16th 2005 4:15 am

Last month they devoted a lot of time to "Europes liberal free speech" laws and decided they needed to addressed. Apparently our free speech is too free. And this is supposed to be the land of the free!

On a related note, we don't have freedom of the press in europe like they do here because of the laws governing journalism, Fox News could not exist in europe because it is not fair and balanced, oh and isnt it owned by Bush and Jews?

I'm not sure what you meant by your comment about Jews.

As to freedom of speech, I can assure you that the laws governing freedom of speech in the USA are far more robust than in England and Wales. The NY Times-Sullivan malice or reckless disregard for the truth standard does not apply in England and Wales. For example, the former British PM John Major successfully sued a paper arguing that the paper improperly hurt his reputation by reporting he was having an extramarital affair with a certain lady. If memory serves me right, the paper couldn't prove John Major did in fact have an affair with that lady and couldn't rely on truth as a defense. In fact John Major had an extramarital affair, just not with that lady! It could be argued that John Major misled the court. But the grey man was not as grey as the newspapers would have us believe, he was in fact quite full blooded and liked having sex outside marriage, but with another certain lady!

In the USA such a case would be summarily thrown out or overturned on appeal. A US newspaper can report what they hell it likes about a public figure providing they don't do so knowing that what they are printing is in fact false, e.g., that the US newspaper acted with malice or with reckless disregard as to the truth (“that the statement was made with knowledge of its falsity or with reckless disregard of whether it was true or false�). In England and Wales this isn't true, the newspaper must be correct to avoid risk of paying out damages.