Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The best food shop in the world...ever!

The best food shop in the world...ever!

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:33 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The best food shop in the world...ever!

Ok...now I know I can stay in America. I have discovered Trader Joe's. If any of you lot are craving real food, organic food, or just plain old tasty food, rush straight over to your local Trader Joe's. The selection is amazing and it feels like such a unique place. Fresh salmon, organic cookies, organic cheeses galore, bread that tastes like bread. I was despairing of ever eating again until I discovered this store. It reminds me in some ways of Waitrose because of the quality feel and smaller size. Last night I had salmon fillet with their own label Lemon and Dill sauce and it was quite simply orgasmic! The best thing about it is the bread. I know we've all moaned that we can't find good bread, but theirs is wonderful. I bought an organic wholemeal with sprouts and nuts and seeds in it and it's so tasty. They've got loads of branches all over the country, so give it a try.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: The best food shop in the world...ever!

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Ok...now I know I can stay in America. I have discovered Trader Joe's. If any of you lot are craving real food, organic food, or just plain old tasty food, rush straight over to your local Trader Joe's. The selection is amazing and it feels like such a unique place. Fresh salmon, organic cookies, organic cheeses galore, bread that tastes like bread. I was despairing of ever eating again until I discovered this store. It reminds me in some ways of Waitrose because of the quality feel and smaller size. Last night I had salmon fillet with their own label Lemon and Dill sauce and it was quite simply orgasmic! The best thing about it is the bread. I know we've all moaned that we can't find good bread, but theirs is wonderful. I bought an organic wholemeal with sprouts and nuts and seeds in it and it's so tasty. They've got loads of branches all over the country, so give it a try.
It is ok, sometimes you can get Brit stuff if they have it in. Bit pricey though. The best bread I have tasted since being here is in Gilbert at Safeway on Elliot and Val Vista. They make it in-store and it is hot and fresh at 4pm daily, all kinds. I think most people on this site know about Trader Joes, they are all over the country.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:54 pm
Moderated

matt_in_philly is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

IMHO they have the only decent curry powder in this country. They also have the widest variety of exotic food,spices and sauces etc. that I've seen in the USA so far. Their prices are very reasonable. Two thumbs way up.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 4:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I get my Trader Joe's fix when I visit my sis-in-law in MD 'cos there are no Trader Joe's in NC. It's a good source for good quality foods and the prices aren't too bad.

I've never eaten the bread from Trader Joe's because there is an excellent "artisan" bakery a stone's throw from my workplace in Durham. Unlike other artisan bakeries I know of, the owners are European (German) so they are trying to recreate European style breads and patisserie and making a very fine job of it.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:06 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm there at least 3 times a week...although recently discovered Wegmans..that store is something else. Also give a big thumbs up to Wholefoods Market, their fresh olives are great and they bake the best bagels and NY Cheesecake in the NE.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
I'm there at least 3 times a week...although recently discovered Wegmans..that store is something else. Also give a big thumbs up to Wholefoods Market, their fresh olives are great and they bake the best bagels and NY Cheesecake in the NE.

Wholefoods has nice stuff, but is known as Wholepaycheck in our house.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi I think most people on this site know about Trader Joes, they are all over the country.
Not in our area,god it makes me crazy when everyone talks about great food and great stores and we don't have any near us.
The only thing we have is nice bread at Publix
Suzie
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok...now I know I can stay in America. I have discovered Trader Joe's. If any of you lot are craving real food, organic food, or just plain old tasty food, rush straight over to your local Trader Joe's.
I love Trader Joe's! We have one just down the street
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

There are two Trader Joe's within driving distance of where we live, but only one of them sells alcohol...(guess which one I go to mainly?)

It's the only place I've found in the States where you can buy bottles of Tsing Tao lager. If you spot it, do buy some because it's really very good - used to drink it in Asia. (they keep running out of supplies at our local TJ as not only has it become popular, there are sometimes delays in importing it from China).

Actually the prices of beer and wines in TJ are also very reasonable.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:53 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Wholefoods has nice stuff, but is known as Wholepaycheck in our house.
LOL That's true, they are expensive but I do love their fruit and veggies more than the cack they sell at Giant!
Also, Wholefoods is the only place I can get smoked haddock to make kedgeree, (top dish in our house).
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:54 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
LOL That's true, they are expensive but I do love their fruit and veggies more than the cack they sell at Giant!
Also, Wholefoods is the only place I can get smoked haddock to make kedgeree, (top dish in our house).
The meat is much better too - and you can get Buffalo (which is to say, American bison). Very tasty.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 2:23 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised we have one here...might check it out.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 3:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I take issue with calling Trader Joe's the best food shop in the world but having moved from the UK to AZ, I can see why Rockgurl thinks so.

There's far better food stores in the world and even the US. One thing I will say about Trader Joe's is that the quality is consistent (of the foodstuffs I have bought and eaten from there).

Whole Foods has inconsistent quality (particularly for fresh fish and veggies) and the prices are high for such a big chain.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:32 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I take issue with calling Trader Joe's the best food shop in the world but having moved from the UK to AZ, I can see why Rockgurl thinks so.

There's far better food stores in the world and even the US.
Oh I'm sure there are and I was only half serious about it being the best foodstore in the world. Waitrose and Marks & Spencer are a million miles better of course, but it's just that there aren't any in AZ! I'm just relieved to have found somewhere that sells real food, unusual food, and natural food.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The place is always full of birkenstock(sp) wearing hippies!, or at least thats what my wife said last time she was there. lol The food is pretty good from what I've tried.

Look into taking a trip to AJ's also here in the Valley. Expensive, but very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.