Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The best decisions for our wedding, and the months surrounding it..

The best decisions for our wedding, and the months surrounding it..

Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:06 am
Just Joined

berkeleybeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question The best decisions for our wedding, and the months surrounding it..

Hi guys,
New to the forum, but a back-and-forth UK/CA girl for many years now, and before even starting all this have just about had my lot with USCIS and the rest of them... HOWEVER, the years roll on, the airmiles rack up, and the love isn't going anywhere :P.. we're excited to say we've now started thinking about tying the knot. He is a USC, I'm British.
I wanted to know if any kind expat could give me advice about the actual decisions we're about to make, in terms of cost/waiting periods/the "easiest" (hah) route to take - whether to get married there or here, for instance, how long to wait, whether to get a fiance visa, whether I should wait in UK for a few months, whether to be here on the B2 tourist visa I have for the wedding.. etc. I hope I'm not being too vague, but perhaps people have had a bad experience with a decision they wish they could have changed.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this, and look forward to checking out this forum. (and maybe answering any [not technically expat] B2 questions)
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:09 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best decisions for our wedding, and the months surrounding it..

Originally Posted by berkeleybeth
Hi guys,
New to the forum, but a back-and-forth UK/CA girl for many years now, and before even starting all this have just about had my lot with USCIS and the rest of them... HOWEVER, the years roll on, the airmiles rack up, and the love isn't going anywhere :P.. we're excited to say we've now started thinking about tying the knot. He is a USC, I'm British.
I wanted to know if any kind expat could give me advice about the actual decisions we're about to make, in terms of cost/waiting periods/the "easiest" (hah) route to take - whether to get married there or here, for instance, how long to wait, whether to get a fiance visa, whether I should wait in UK for a few months, whether to be here on the B2 tourist visa I have for the wedding.. etc. I hope I'm not being too vague, but perhaps people have had a bad experience with a decision they wish they could have changed.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this, and look forward to checking out this forum. (and maybe answering any [not technically expat] B2 questions)
come over on visa waiver, elope to Vegas, marriage in front of Elvis.
file adjustment of status.

and you can do it all while drunk.

easy peasy and cheap as chips.............
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:13 am
Just Joined

berkeleybeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: The best decisions for our wedding, and the months surrounding it..

Haha - perfect That's great, thank you.

I can't actually use visa waiver (and I've tried) as they always use my B2 even when I'm coming for <3 months. Do you know whether this makes a difference to the AOS?
I had envisaged it a little different... :P In San Francisco where we live.. with at least a few flowers... and friends.. Crazy talk.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I had envisaged it a little different... .
fancy that, never had known from your post..............
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
come over on visa waiver, elope to Vegas, marriage in front of Elvis.
file adjustment of status.

and you can do it all while drunk.

easy peasy and cheap as chips.............
Can you tell me about the schools and healthcare? Ive heard its all free.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:25 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

K1 visa, that's only my opinion though
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:01 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
K1 visa, that's only my opinion though

I agree - get a K1

Simplest way with least stress

can take a few months though

my friends time line was initial application in feb last year, approved in july last year moved here may this year, green card interview in november
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:02 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I agree - get a K1

Simplest way with least stress

can take a few months though

my friends time line was initial application in feb last year, approved in july last year moved here may this year, green card interview in november
Mine was 8 months, start to finish, 2 years ago mind.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You've just shown immigrant intent, so probably don't want to do the b2 AOS thing...probably wouldn't get caught, but it's still visa fraud and could be a hassle, not to mention if things did go against you, you couldn't appeal it.

It'll cost a couple grand all told after filing fee's, medicals, more filing fees, finger prints etc...as for timelines...depends on where bouts in the US you fancy...but there's links in the marriage based visa forum that'll help give you some ideas that would be worth checking out.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:48 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

We both lived in France when we got married. I didn't want to get married in England as I knew my parents would organise some huge church wedding, which I didn't want. Couldn't get married in France as hubby wasn't a legal resident, and he couldn't be a legal resident until we were married. Total catch-22 there. So we got married in the US, then moved back to France. When our situation in France changed, 4 months later, we filed paperwork for me to go to the US. That was in Aug 1995. I applied for an Immigrant Visa through the Embassy in Paris. Went up there for medical tests incl blood test and chest x-ray, plus interview, in early September, and got my visa in October. Moved here in Nov 1995 with an Immigrant Visa that turned into a 2-year Green Card (as we'd been married less than 2 years). Then got a 10-year Green Card once the original GC was 20 months old.

Good luck!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
New to the forum, but a back-and-forth UK/CA girl for many years now, and before even starting all this have just about had my lot with USCIS and the rest of them... this forum. (and maybe answering any [not technically expat] B2 questions)
Go to www.visajourney.com its a site solely dealing with your situation ..
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:25 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

I'm with the rest of them - K1 sounds the easiest way to go for you at the moment.

Worked for me....... (she's still putting up with me at the moment at least)