British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best deal on iPad2? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-deal-ipad2-768801/)

tonrob Aug 19th 2012 5:50 pm

Best deal on iPad2?

I've got a visitor next month who wants one of these (16GB, Wi-fi only) so I'm on the lookout for the best deal.

Most places are $399+tax and free shipping at best (funnily Amazon is more).

The best I can think of is to buy discount gift cards for a store or site that sells iPads (via a reseller site such as Plastic Jungle etc.), but the best I'm seeing is 4% off Best Buy and Target (doesn't even cover the sales tax) and a measly 2% off Walmart.

Also looking for points/miles opportunities for the purchase, but the best I can see is 2 per $ at Apple. It's all a bit bobbins, really.

I know deals on Apple stuff are rare, but thought I'd post in case anyone has any better ideas?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Bob Aug 19th 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Best deal on iPad2?

Second hand would be the best deal from folks that flogged the things off when they went and got v3.

cluedweasel Aug 19th 2012 7:44 pm

Keep an eye on the refurbs at the Apple Store. They're out of stock at the moment but when they are available they're $319.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC769LL/A?

willmore Aug 19th 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by cluedweasel (Post 10235378)
Keep an eye on the refurbs at the Apple Store. They're out of stock at the moment but when they are available they're $319.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC769LL/A?

Good idea - or see if she can borrow one and try it for a while to see if she likes it before she invests in one. Im an apple lover but I have a hate - hate relationship with the IPAD. I had two - took one back tried a second one and almost smashed it against the wall before returning it.....it is very frustrating to use.......:D

tonrob Aug 20th 2012 12:16 am

Thanks - but she wants new.

penguinsix Aug 20th 2012 3:24 am

Apple practices what is known as vertical price fixing, which basically means no retailer can resell an iPad for less than a certain fixed price. Some stores can, however, offer secondary items at a discount, such as a gift card or a iPad case or something.

Worldwide I think Hong Kong and Singapore have the cheapest prices, which after the currency conversion ends up a few USD cheaper than buying in the US, but you don't have sales tax in HK so that can help a bit.

fatbrit Aug 20th 2012 4:32 am

She'll be quite happy with a Nexus7. Does all the same crap @ $199. Draw a picture of an Apple with an indelible marker on the back if it'll make her feel better about herself.

tonrob Aug 20th 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 10235499)
Good idea - or see if she can borrow one and try it for a while to see if she likes it before she invests in one. Im an apple lover but I have a hate - hate relationship with the IPAD. I had two - took one back tried a second one and almost smashed it against the wall before returning it.....it is very frustrating to use.......:D

It's a great idea - she has borrowed one and she's happy enough to want to buy her own.

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10235806)
She'll be quite happy with a Nexus7. Does all the same crap @ $199. Draw a picture of an Apple with an indelible marker on the back if it'll make her feel better about herself.

I think even she'd notice that! At 66 years of age she's less than 100% confident with electronics, hence she wants to buy the thing she's tried out herself.

tonrob Aug 20th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 10235732)
Apple practices what is known as vertical price fixing, which basically means no retailer can resell an iPad for less than a certain fixed price. Some stores can, however, offer secondary items at a discount, such as a gift card or a iPad case or something.

This is what got me thinking about the discount gift card route. Not that you can buy iPads there, but a recent example was my wanting to buy some specific kind of lugagge which was very hard to get at a discount - but was sold at JC Penney where it's easy to buy GCs at around 25-30% off from resellers. I also saw discounted GCs for Sears, but iPads are only sold via 3rd party vendors in their "Marketplace" - all of whom seem to be scammers as they all show low sticker prices but then hit you with a $150 shipping fee once the item's in your cart.

Ash UK/US Aug 21st 2012 5:40 pm

If you have a Sam's Club membership chek their too, when I bought my iPad 3 it was $10 less there than anywhere else I could find it. I actually paid the $10 extra though and bought it at another store, the reason being, Sam's does not take Visa, if you have a Visa signature card they extend warranties by another year. In addition my card also had a 5% back on grocery stores, gas & restaurants so I bought it at my local Meijer (grocery) store. The new iPad at the time was $500 so in around about way I still got it for $15 less than Sam's.

I have also seen Target offer $25 gift cards with the purchase of Apple products.

Ash UK/US Aug 21st 2012 5:43 pm

[QUOTE=willmore;10235499]Im an apple lover but I have a hate - hate relationship with the IPAD. I had two - took one back tried a second one and almost smashed it against the wall before returning it[\QUOTE]
To each their own, I love my IPad!

tonrob Aug 21st 2012 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 10238837)
If you have a Sam's Club membership chek their too, when I bought my iPad 3 it was $10 less there than anywhere else I could find it. I actually paid the $10 extra though and bought it at another store, the reason being, Sam's does not take Visa, if you have a Visa signature card they extend warranties by another year. In addition my card also had a 5% back on grocery stores, gas & restaurants so I bought it at my local Meijer (grocery) store. The new iPad at the time was $500 so in around about way I still got it for $15 less than Sam's.

I have also seen Target offer $25 gift cards with the purchase of Apple products.

Bizzarely Sams Club is currently charging about $80 more than many other places for the model I want!

Ash UK/US Aug 21st 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10238928)
Bizzarely Sams Club is currently charging about $80 more than many other places for the model I want!

Hmmm interesting, I was shopping for the 3 not 2, just shows you have to shop around.

Bob Aug 21st 2012 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10238928)

Don't they price match though?

tonrob Aug 21st 2012 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10239040)
Don't they price match though?

They'd have to beat their competitors' price by a little bit of a margin to make it worth my while.