Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best Courier to the UK

Best Courier to the UK

Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Courier to the UK

Hello all - Sending a bunch of documents to the UK for multiple passport applications. Now that they go straight to the UK, which courier is best one to use for UK (and also most cost effective)? Fedex, UPS, DHL (not widely found here)?

Thank you
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Courier to the UK

We used the USPS twice in the past 3 months for our passport applications. Did the trick as we got our passports back 15 days later.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
We used the USPS twice in the past 3 months for our passport applications. Did the trick as we got our passports back 15 days later.
What was the cost for USPS each time if you dont mind me asking?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

It was $59.50 for each one. One was a renewal last year and one was a first time passport for our son who lives in Dubai. He waited until he was here in Arizona over Christmas as I didn’t want my birth certificate to get lost being sent to and from Dubai!!
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

USPS does not always have seamless end-to-end tracking, there is a hand-off when the packet is handed over to the Royal Mail, and both the tracking, and responsibility for the packet can fail at that point, such that both sides disclaim responsibility if the packet is delayed or goes missing.

Personally I would choose either UPS or FedEx for end-to-end transport and delivery of your packet. I don't think it makes a scrap of difference which one you choose.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2018 at 9:42 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

I agree Pulaski, I've lost packages sending them overseas via USPS. I just sent my Fedex to the passport office in the UK. Wonder how long now to get back my renewed passport and my kids first UK passports...
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
.... I just sent my Fedex to the passport office in the UK. Wonder how long now to get back my renewed passport and my kids first UK passports...
About 14 days from the date you sent it, based on experience reported over the past year or so.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
About 14 days from the date you sent it, based on experience reported over the past year or so.
We tried using FedEx and UPS and they wouldn’t accept the package based on the address not having a street listed.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
We tried using FedEx and UPS and they wouldn’t accept the package based on the address not having a street listed.
They asked me the same today, but accepted it anyway. There is a street listed, but no street number. Even showed them on Google maps that the location has no street number.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

I mailed the applications on Saturday, they arrived in the UK on Tuesday. On Wednesday they were delivered to the agency. Accepted into the system yesterday, and dispatched today (Friday)! Wow, that was quick. How long for them to get here now? No tracking number I suppose?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:12 pm

I mailed the applications on Saturday, they arrived in the UK on Tuesday. On Wednesday they were delivered to the agency. Accepted into the system yesterday, and dispatched today (Friday)! Wow, that was quick. How long for them to get here now? No tracking number I suppose?
That's great, very quick. .... My guess would be that you'll have it in your hands on Monday, so 9 days after you sent it!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

That's great, very quick. .... My guess would be that you'll have it in your hands on Monday, so 9 days after you sent it!
That would be something else! The last time a passport was renewed i believe it went to NYC and took a while
Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

All three arrived today, 10 days after I dropped them at FedEx. Arrived in 6 packages, 3 with the new passports, 3 with each applicants supporting documents. Very impressive processing time and organization of documents. Haven't done this is over 10 years, but must say this is the easiest process I have ever encountered. Well done HMPO!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 12:58 am

All three arrived today, 10 days after I dropped them at FedEx. Arrived in 6 packages, 3 with the new passports, 3 with each applicants supporting documents. Very impressive processing time and organization of documents. Haven't done this is over 10 years, but must say this is the easiest process I have ever encountered. Well done HMPO!
Congratulations!

Despite some initial scepticism in the expat community, the switch to issuing all passports in the UK has led to very slick service these days.