British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best country to move to,OZ,UK,Ireland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-country-move-oz-uk-ireland-359875/)

YankeemovingAbroad Mar 8th 2006 9:30 am

Best country to move to,OZ,UK,Ireland?

Hi Everyone

Heres the deal. I'm American and single in my early 40's with few attachments in the States. Have allways wanted to live in a different country to experience its culture and people. Going back to when I was 9 yrs old there was a fasination for me about Europe(cute right?). I saw my self living there one day, but of course like many people, that particular dream has taken a back seat to planned and unplanned commitments.

I feel now is the time for me to make this life long dream happen. I'm lucky in the respect that I have a sound financial foundation,and can continue to work in the States via fax and phone. Question is which country to pick that would offer the most for my interest and that would not fit the list of those things I don't like.

Australia has become a strong contender of possible choices because of the people and climate.Its a western nation with the same standard of life found in America and Europe.Plus I believe it would be easier to attain residence status compared to the UK.

The Aussies that I've met in the States were so down to earth and easy going,and complete party animals which made for a fun time. Not to mention those lovely Australian lady's who were interestingly flirtacious and very attractive. Now when you add that up its kinda hard imagining anything but a fun experience living in Australia.But heres the thing, would I miss out on anything in your opinion by picking the UK instead? Would the UK offer so much more as far as culture and opportunity? Would living in continential Europe offer more progressive societies than Australia?

As a African American I don't think in terms of my ethnicity or wear it on my sleeve any more than any other ethnicity do, but when making such a major realigment, I must consider the attitudes of a society and how accepting they are of diversity. The Australians who I've made friendships with behave as if we were exactly of the same race. Now being a thinking person I'm aware that we are, the human race. But it impress me that they saw no difference and if anything saw it as more of a plus or attracted to me because of my ethnicity.What is your opinion on my perception?

I'm in the second half of my life and there is a strong possibility that I could live the rest of it in my new adopted country. So its important to really enjoy what ever decision I make.

So here we are. I prefer warm weather to freezing snowy climates, I thrive in inviroments were the people are socially intelligent and evolve. I don't mind spending money if need be to buy an American type size home in the UK.Want to live in a country that truely has many opportunities like America has afforded me. So you've heard some of my thoughts and hopefully many of you can offer advice as to what you would do in my situation.BTW, I have London & Manchester in mind for the UK.

Thanks in advance for your responses

jad n rich Mar 8th 2006 11:13 am

Re: Best country to move to,OZ,UK,Ireland?

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Hi Everyone

So here we are. I prefer warm weather to freezing snowy climates, I thrive in inviroments were the people are socially intelligent and evolve. I don't mind spending money if need be to buy an American type size home in the UK.Want to live in a country that truely has many opportunities like America has afforded me. So you've heard some of my thoughts and hopefully many of you can offer advice as to what you would do in my situation.BTW, I have London & Manchester in mind for the UK.

I'd be worried looking at australia and NZ if you want similar opportunities to the USA, your looking at far more isolated parts of the world with very small populations, australias climate is very diverse tho, you could certainly find somewhere warm.

UK's not what you want climate wise but opportunity wise its certainly more in your ball park.

You sound single? not tied down with family/education worries for kids etc, why not try a round the world ticket first, have a look at whats on offer.

eurotramp Mar 8th 2006 11:33 am

I don't mind spending money if need be to buy an American type size home in the UK.Want to live in a country that truely has many opportunities like America has afforded me. So you've heard some of my thoughts and hopefully many of you can offer advice as to what you would do in my situation.BTW, I have London & Manchester in mind for the UK.
An American type size home in London?
Did you win the lotto ;) ?
You need seriously deep pockets for that...other wise...if you want history, lots of culture and Europe on arms reach..I would not choose OZ.

I got told that the Irish are quit layed back and friendly...and it such a nice country..so full of history.
If I would be you, I would come over and look at the place and make my mind up then.
Even if you go for the UK or Ireland, you can always go for a holiday in OZ.

kiwichild Mar 8th 2006 12:25 pm

Hi Everyone

Heres the deal. I'm American and single in my early 40's with few attachments in the States. Have allways wanted to live in a different country to experience its culture and people. Going back to when I was 9 yrs old there was a fasination for me about Europe(cute right?). I saw my self living there one day, but of course like many people, that particular dream has taken a back seat to planned and unplanned commitments.

I feel now is the time for me to make this life long dream happen. I'm lucky in the respect that I have a sound financial foundation,and can continue to work in the States via fax and phone. Question is which country to pick that would offer the most for my interest and that would not fit the list of those things I don't like.

Australia has become a strong contender of possible choices because of the people and climate.Its a western nation with the same standard of life found in America and Europe.Plus I believe it would be easier to attain residence status compared to the UK.

The Aussies that I've met in the States were so down to earth and easy going,and complete party animals which made for a fun time. Not to mention those lovely Australian lady's who were interestingly flirtacious and very attractive. Now when you add that up its kinda hard imagining anything but a fun experience living in Australia.But heres the thing, would I miss out on anything in your opinion by picking the UK instead? Would the UK offer so much more as far as culture and opportunity? Would living in continential Europe offer more progressive societies than Australia?

As a African American I don't think in terms of my ethnicity or wear it on my sleeve any more than any other ethnicity do, but when making such a major realigment, I must consider the attitudes of a society and how accepting they are of diversity. The Australians who I've made friendships with behave as if we were exactly of the same race. Now being a thinking person I'm aware that we are, the human race. But it impress me that they saw no difference and if anything saw it as more of a plus or attracted to me because of my ethnicity.What is your opinion on my perception?

I'm in the second half of my life and there is a strong possibility that I could live the rest of it in my new adopted country. So its important to really enjoy what ever decision I make.

I have given this some thought and taking into consideration all your hopes, and that you can still work for your employer no matter where you are located, I'd think about giving somewhere like France,Spain, Italy or Greece a shot.
Heaps of European culture at your fingertips, easy to get to anywhere for a break ie London, Munich, etc or even back to US

Also southern Europe has a warmer climate yet you can drive to snow capped mountains, lakes, heritage villages and towns etc. And more opportunities.

If you scratch a little deeper you will find that Australians are good at putting up an image, a facade. Anyway hope I have given you something to consider.

Good luck with it. :)

Mercedes Mar 8th 2006 12:32 pm

Out of the three I probably would opt for Southern Ireland, probably head for Dublin for the vibrance. The people are warm friendly and fun etc. Australia although I lived there for years, USA would have probably have been my choice over it. After living in Australia, I still think USA would have been better. Ireland is up and coming, probably cheaper in some respects to UK and you are on the doorstep of Europe which has an abundance of culture and history and sophistication and the flights to Southern Europe are reasonable if you have a craving for sun etc. It is also one of the best places to run a company from, from a tax point of view over UK.

As someone has said Australia is isolated and you have to drive at least 9 hours from the main cities and there isn't much in between. Sophistication and historical culture is very limited there, although the people are warm and friendly. It can get boring after a while, it doesn't have the diversity that the States has to offer. At least in Europe you do have so much, which personally I prefer more.

Depending on your financial situation I would go and spend some time in your desired destinations and see which one makes you feel at home. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you live, its what lifestyle you want and often the people that you meet in your every day life that can make or break a place. I Live in the South of Spain, mainly because I love the lifestyle, but commute from there to other countries and UK. My company is in the UK (at the moment) and I spend at least 10 days out of a month there. I get the best of both worlds then. But I personally can't live too long in UK now, today the sun is shining and I can see the sea whilst I work, on the weekend I'm back to raining UK, but only for a few days. If you are like me and have comms that find you anywhere and an airport nearby to fly to meeting if need be. Since you have chosen two countries in Europe, maybe that will be better as your destination and your other desires and needs may be matched easier than Australia.

The trouble with life nowadays, there are just so many choices, lol. But have fun in making it.

ladylisa Mar 8th 2006 4:56 pm

Wow what a brilliant dilemma to find yourself. I echo much of the sentiment already been given. Australia is a beautiful country and is more similar in feel to the US in terms of it being a young country than any other parts of the world. However I wonder if you want to experience culture and history you would feel it not the best choice, I'm getting the feeling that you want a different living experience altogether than what you already know.

If I were in your shoes I would take a month or so and travel from country to country to get some sort of feel for these places. You could probably fly to the UK initially and buy tickets to other countries in Europe very cheaply. It would be a pity to choose somewhere and make a permanent move only to not feel truly settled especially if by being a few hundred miles from there you could have found the right place for you.

As for your African heritage, I would like to think it would be less an issue for you in the UK than Stateside. Someone may correct me and say thats wrong but I dont see it. Some of my family are black and I have black friends and we've never had the type of discussions that I have frequently here, I feel race is a huge deal here and everything comes back to it. (but lets be honest there are ignorant morons everywhere!)

Anyway good luck in your decision and your travels. I would love to hear what you decide. :)

rita narbett Mar 9th 2006 9:07 am

Hi Everyone

I'd say North of the north island in NZ. The climate is warmer up there. You'll have the warm weather, the space of the country when you need it, and the city life of Auckland when needed. Sounds great to me.

I'm off the south of north island, NZ. I'm from the UK myself, just outside of London. I cant wait to move from here.

Good luck with your search

simongb Mar 9th 2006 10:36 am

Hi Everyone

I am from the UK (Manchester) and have lived in the US since 1992. I also spent a year in Australia when I was very young. Like other people on here, I suggest you take some time and visit each place to get a feel for it (it sounds like money is not a problem). In my opinion, Australia is a beautiful country, but isolated and it takes so long to travel anywhere. London is great, but expensive. Manchester is great (it's where I'm from), but it doesn't have that buzz that London does. Europe has a LOT of culture. Museums, theatres, ancient ruins, you name it. The other GREAT thing about Europe is that it only takes a short flight and you can be in a completely different country, with a different culture, language, food etc (I was explaining this to a work colleague yesterday and she found that concept really strange. In the US you can travel for hours and still be in the same country). So, if you get fed up of the weather in the UK, go to Spain and hang out there for a while to recharge your batteries :) .Europe can be very cosmopolitan too. My suggestion would be Europe. London or within a train ride of there would be the best place for you. Sorry, I cannot comment on Ireland as I have never been there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

eurotramp Mar 9th 2006 11:32 am

Europe can be very cosmopolitan too
Compare to what?....

YankeemovingAbroad Mar 9th 2006 11:03 pm

Simongb

Thank you for the response of yours and thank you to the other posters as well. You guys have been great!

I have a few questions for you. Do you ever miss the UK and have you considered moving back? Also I'm curious to know what do you miss about the UK and why did you pick the States to immigrate to? I think the USA might at best be third as the most popular country for Brits to immigrate. If you had to do over would you pick America to call home? And can you think of an American city that is simular to Manchester?

BTW Manchester and outer London are two areas in the UK which seem to be the best potential fits for my self. I've lived in Los Angeles,North Carolina,Long Island ny,Wisconsin,Orlando fl,NYC,currently New Jersey and a few others along the way. For me living in a big city is more of a been there done that kind of thing. I prefer to either live 30 minutes outside of a large city or even better to live in a mid size city of 2 million population which offers a community vibe and a great night life.Would Manchester fit that description?

Thanks buddy!

Originally Posted by simongb
I am from the UK (Manchester) and have lived in the US since 1992. I also spent a year in Australia when I was very young. Like other people on here, I suggest you take some time and visit each place to get a feel for it (it sounds like money is not a problem). In my opinion, Australia is a beautiful country, but isolated and it takes so long to travel anywhere. London is great, but expensive. Manchester is great (it's where I'm from), but it doesn't have that buzz that London does. Europe has a LOT of culture. Museums, theatres, ancient ruins, you name it. The other GREAT thing about Europe is that it only takes a short flight and you can be in a completely different country, with a different culture, language, food etc (I was explaining this to a work colleague yesterday and she found that concept really strange. In the US you can travel for hours and still be in the same country). So, if you get fed up of the weather in the UK, go to Spain and hang out there for a while to recharge your batteries :) .Europe can be very cosmopolitan too. My suggestion would be Europe. London or within a train ride of there would be the best place for you. Sorry, I cannot comment on Ireland as I have never been there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Geordie George Mar 10th 2006 1:26 am

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/plannin...s/keyfacts.htm

Breezey Mar 15th 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by eurotramp
An American type size home in London?
Did you win the lotto ;) ?
You need seriously deep pockets for that...other wise...if you want history, lots of culture and Europe on arms reach..I would not choose OZ.

I got told that the Irish are quit layed back and friendly...and it such a nice country..so full of history.
If I would be you, I would come over and look at the place and make my mind up then.
Even if you go for the UK or Ireland, you can always go for a holiday in OZ.

People of colour are as welcome in Ireland as a fart in a lift-the Irish are very new to multiculturalism and imho very xenophobic. Europe is fascinating-but you come over(well via one post) as an Australia kind of person.
And I agree-Australians are as un-racist as they come.

BigDavyG Mar 15th 2006 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Breezey
People of colour are as welcome in Ireland as a fart in a lift-the Irish are very new to multiculturalism and imho very xenophobic. Europe is fascinating-but you come over(well via one post) as an Australia kind of person.

Utter nonsense
What do you base your opinions of the irish on, let alone the aussies ???
You will get idiots everywhere but most irish (north and south) couldn't give a toss what colour your skin is.
However what you will have to bear in mind is that the irish can be very upfront and like a laugh - your colour may not go uncommented upon, but 98% of the time comments will be in jest and you will be expected to join in the banter and fight back with some jokes of your own.
I say this from personal experience - I'm not black, but I come from northern ireland and used to spend a lot of time working in the south.

ladylisa Mar 15th 2006 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Breezey

What rubbish. You are generalising for both nations which is completely unfair. There are good and bad seeds in every nation. (Incidentally when I was in Oz I was surprised how unaccepting some were towards their own Aboriginals)

kiwichild Mar 15th 2006 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
What rubbish. You are generalising for both nations which is completely unfair. There are good and bad seeds in every nation. (Incidentally when I was in Oz I was surprised how unaccepting some were towards their own Aboriginals)

Australia was founded on convict labour (though stealing a cabbage and a loaf of bread to feed your family is hardly criminal in my opinon) and racism, infact the sth african govt of the past got some of its policy ideas from australia.The australian founders considered aboriginals to be part of the flora and fauna.

I don't think that racism here extends to african-americans though. They tend to be seen in a more positive light. However that said there is certainly an element of underlying racism towards asians.

I hope one day we will learn to give everyone 'a fair go' and assess people by their actions and speech not some irrelevant matter like their ethnicity. There are bad apples in every bunch but also there are a lot of good ones too; they just don't get noticed as much.