Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

Old May 8th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

Well after either usps or the royal mail have lost the $80 worth of clothes I sent to the UK a couple of months ago I was wondering which is the best way to send things?

My daughter still lives in the UK and I like to send things over every few months but I don't wanna send things if they are going to get lost.

On another note, is there any UK sites that I can use a US card to pay and have them shipped to my daughter? Also is there and US sites that I can use and have things shipped to the UK. Thanks.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

The normal mail, generally...shit gets lost all the time unfortunately, even if you used FedEx/DHL/UPS

Most UK sites will accept a US card, Next, M&S, River Island etc...you'll find quite a few threads on people using those sites to send stuff to the US, so the card isn't the problem. Might want to let your bank know you are using the card for online purchases out of the US so they don't put a hold on it though.

As for US sites, for clothes, I'd have suggested Zara and stuff like that, but realised they aren't American....Amazon is probably a safe bet though
Old May 8th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Bob, I'll have a look around and see what's about.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

I agree with Bob - http://www.amazon.co.uk is the way to go!
Old May 8th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The normal mail, generally...shit gets lost all the time unfortunately, even if you used FedEx/DHL/UPS

Most UK sites will accept a US card, Next, M&S, River Island etc...you'll find quite a few threads on people using those sites to send stuff to the US, so the card isn't the problem. Might want to let your bank know you are using the card for online purchases out of the US so they don't put a hold on it though.

As for US sites, for clothes, I'd have suggested Zara and stuff like that, but realised they aren't American....Amazon is probably a safe bet though
Bob, that's interesting. I tried to order clothes from River Island when my daughter was over in the UK last summer, with my Chase card and they wouldn't accept it. Do you know if this is a new thing??
Old May 8th 2011, 9:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Bob, that's interesting. I tried to order clothes from River Island when my daughter was over in the UK last summer, with my Chase card and they wouldn't accept it. Do you know if this is a new thing??
no idea...probably something to do with your card? Though RI might have changed as well, but that seems unlikely.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brat1
Where was the shipping address? Even though most websites will have it set up for different billing and shipping addresses, I think that some places only like to send to the billing address
Old May 9th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
Where was the shipping address? Even though most websites will have it set up for different billing and shipping addresses, I think that some places only like to send to the billing address
Aaahh that might explain it. I was trying to get it shipped to my mum's address in Scotland and tried my Chase card and also my Clydesdale Bank card, both of which are linked to my address here in the US so that would make sense - thanks
Old May 9th 2011, 12:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rallybug
Yeah, that happens a lot with first time orders.