Cat Flying

Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice
Default Cat Flying

Hi,

We are currently awaiting the response from our I-130 Petition. (Filed in London under the DCF rules)

We would like to be 100% prepared and are looking in to the requirements for flying our 10 month old Kitten to Pennsylvania. (Approximate prices and legal/airline requirements)

Please could somebody provide us with information on this or direct us to an existing thread if one already exists.

Apologies if I have posted in the incorrect forum...I looked over the site to find a 'pets' forum but was unsuccessful.

Many thanks,

CandK
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat Flying

Try the advanced search for the USA forums, might have to look back a bit as it's been a couple of months since it was last asked, towards Houston I think and a dog, but either way, it's the same principle.

Also check out any state requirements because they might have some of their own, and you'll have to google that I'm afraid.

Edit: some threads to get you started

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nsporting+pets
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:32 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I flew a cat from London to Seattle last december. It cost us around 600 pounds all told, probably. This included the vet visits to get him ready to go, the flight-approved carrier, and the flight itself. The rules for the flight will vary depending on who you are flying with. Where are you flying from, and what time of year are you anticipating on going?
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice

Originally Posted by avanutria
I flew a cat from London to Seattle last december. It cost us around 600 pounds all told, probably. This included the vet visits to get him ready to go, the flight-approved carrier, and the flight itself. The rules for the flight will vary depending on who you are flying with. Where are you flying from, and what time of year are you anticipating on going?
We are flying from Manchester UK to Philadelphia, New York or Washington DC...dependant on cost/convenience.

We were looking at Mid February.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:03 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Your thread subject line had me thinking about something completely different!

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your thread subject line had me thinking about something completely different!

Ian
And me, lol.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:25 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
And me, lol.
ditto
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:27 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CandK
We are flying from Manchester UK to Philadelphia, New York or Washington DC...dependant on cost/convenience.

We were looking at Mid February.
If there's such a thing as a direct flight from Manchester to your final destination, you'll want to do that. If not, then from London to your final destination. You don't want a cat sitting around waiting to change plans in winter in the northeast USA - in fact some airlines may refuse to let you have a US layover at that time of year.

If you fly BA you will need to use an agent for the cat as they won't let people book the pets themselves directly with the airlines. We used http://www.petexports.co.uk/ and we were very happy with the service. I recommend them. We paid them something between 300 and 400 pounds and that included the flight and all paperwork for the cat (barring the medical ("fit to fly" certificate which we provided). We bought a flight quality carrier for 40 pounds from Amazon. There was a small cash fee ($35) at the other end to pick him up from the US agent.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:48 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juswus
ditto
Cats could fly, if they wanted to. They just happen not to.

Fly with Delta or United. Take the kitten in the cabin with you. Much better for her and a lot cheaper for you.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

We used Petair UK, was happy with everything, it cost about 600 to fly the cat, plus another £200 or so for all the vet exams and certificates. I think they flew the cat on Delta, with a coupleof hours stopover, they have a pretty good online tracking system so you can see where the animal is. I believe taking them on as hand luggage is around £100 one way on Delta (not sure if you need the same certificates as if they were flying in the hold).
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:59 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

(Man holding cat enters.)

Compere: That is Tiddles, I believe?

Man (Graham Chapman): Yes, this is, this is Tiddles.

Compere: Yes, and what does she do?

Man: She flies across the studio and lands in a bucket of water.

Compere: By herself?

Man: No, I fling her.

Compere: Well that's extremely interesting, Ladies and gentlemen - Mr Don Savage and Tiddles.

(Man whirls the at round and round. He lets go of the cat, it fiies across studio. A hollow splash and a meow. Quick shot of a real cat sitting in a bucket.)

Dove: (shouting) I'm more interesting than a wet pussycat.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NatashaB
We used Petair UK, was happy with everything, it cost about 600 to fly the cat, plus another £200 or so for all the vet exams and certificates. I think they flew the cat on Delta, with a coupleof hours stopover, they have a pretty good online tracking system so you can see where the animal is. I believe taking them on as hand luggage is around £100 one way on Delta (not sure if you need the same certificates as if they were flying in the hold).
If you don't mind me asking, why did you pay £800 in total when there is the ability to take the animal as Carry On for £100-ish?

Does anybody know if it is still possible to take a cat as carry on?
Also, if we book through Patair, will they have to book the cat in as carry on or will they have the cat held in cargo or something similr?

Thanks again...and apologies for the disappointment of not showing you a flying cat!!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me asking, why did you pay £800 in total when there is the ability to take the animal as Carry On for £100-ish?

Also, if we book through Patair, will they have to book the cat in as carry on or will they have the cat held in cargo or something similr?
Ask the airlines?

A lot of it does depend on the airline, how busy they are and the destination, some just won't do animals in some areas when it's to hot/cold on the ground and it depends how busy the cargo is, which is why some require you sending animal through a third party in case you don't end up on the same plane.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:26 am

Thanks again...and apologies for the disappointment of not showing you a flying cat!!
I know you asked Natasha this, not me, but the same question can apply to me. We had to fly BA because it was the only carrier that had direct flights from London to the west coast of the US, and BA doesn't allow pets in cabin. Plus the cat had more space in the cargo-kennel than he would have had in a soft sided bag under the seat in front of me.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

We flew him in the hold because the maximum weight for a carry on pet was 10lb (I think) including the carrier, our cat is a fatty and weighs more than that on his own Petair will book him in as a piece of cargo (just like a parcel being shipped) with a barcode and tracking number.

It was a horrible day waiting for my husband to confirm he'd arrived at the other end but all worked out OK. He was a bit jumpy for a couple of weeks afterwards, I have to say if he wasn't my stepdaughter's pet we probably would have re-homed him rather than putting him through the flight.

Last edited by NatashaB; Dec 13th 2010 at 1:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.