Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best Cellphone for temp UK use? Possibly data too.

Best Cellphone for temp UK use? Possibly data too.

Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Cellphone for temp UK use? Possibly data too.

Originally Posted by frrussre
Yes, true, CDMA, works in very few places in the world. Hence, dual GSM/CDMA.

I assume when on GSM, talk & surf WEB at same time works?
Presumably. The 4S is supposedly the same 'phone now regardless of provider.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Presumably. The 4S is supposedly the same 'phone now regardless of provider.
Certainly would make sense, looks like a real World phone.

Reg. Frank r.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Wonder how long will take for AT&T to catch up on iphone unlock. Just having difference of opinion with them over unlocking BB Bold 9700, they say don't have codes on this model, not available. They have given me codes for other phones, no problem.
Guess I will pay the $5-10 get the code online.

Reg. Frank R.
AT&T was going to unlock my Torch until they discovered that I had had it for only six months at the time. It made no difference that I had been an AT&T Wireless customer before that. I bought the code for $17.50 from a third party.

This was for a trip to Costa Rica and the PAYG from the local "ICE" people did not include data -- they just don't sell it to travelers -- so I ended up with a POTS dumb phone and music player.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
AT&T was going to unlock my Torch until they discovered that I had had it for only six months at the time. It made no difference that I had been an AT&T Wireless customer before that. I bought the code for $17.50 from a third party.

This was for a trip to Costa Rica and the PAYG from the local "ICE" people did not include data -- they just don't sell it to travelers -- so I ended up with a POTS dumb phone and music player.
Our BB bold 9700, is 20 months old & we are long long term customers in good standing, we have Premium account. AT&T CS manager level, say verbally "They do not have the code/password "its because they made a deal with Blackberry, not to. Their other argument "Not true", the Bold 9700, is exclusive to AT&T.
Its all odd, they gave us the code for the 8700, no problem + all our previous phones.

Copy of email, I received:
"THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL PLEASE DO NOT REPLY BACK TO "OKCQSubsidyUnlock" AS ALL MESSAGES SENT TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS ARE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED WITHOUT BEING READ. PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE 1-800-331-0500 FOR ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.

Dear AT&T Valued Customer:

We recently received your request for the unlock code on the following device:

After a review of your account, we have determined that your device is not eligible to be unlocked from the AT&T network because you have not met one or more of the following requirements:

Completed a minimum of ninety (90) days of active service with AT&T Mobility.
The account is in good standing and payments are current at the time of the request.
The device does not have a long-term exclusive sales arrangement or any period of exclusivity associated with the device has expired.
No more than five unlock codes per year are permitted.
Prepaid/GoPhone customers:
Completed a minimum of 6 months of service.
If less than 6 months of service, provided a copy of the sales receipt or other proof of purchase of the device."

Yes, I can buy the code, but find it really annoying.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I can buy the code, but find it really annoying.
Reg. Frank R.
Vote with your feet and don't buy phones or use providers that won't unlock.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Vote with your feet and don't buy phones or use providers that won't unlock.
Yes, you are right. Trouble is, AT&T is one of the few companies, or only company in USA, that USUALLY unlocks, the phones.

Still paying by the minute, should be by the second.

Still paying for incoming calls.

Still paying for incoming messages.

Still having our phones Subsidy locked.

Until recently, could not even Port our phone numbers.

Yet, we keep signing up & paying.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Bit the bullet, tired of arguing with AT&T.

Paid $9.99, online. Bobs your uncle Fannies your aunt, phone unlocked, will make it our new Brit/Virgin phone.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I use an Orange sim for (once annually) UK trips. Couple of good points about Orange - your minutes never expire....once we went a good 2 years without going back, no problem. Another good thing is their PAYG data plans - you can pay topup in advance at low cost - which gives you unlimited data during that time. If I recall, if you do some judicious timing of your topup (i.e. a month before you go) - it can pay dividends.

Here's some info:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_pla..._overview.html

I *think* I'm on the Dolphin plan....I'll have to check.

Its been a year or so since I've revisited all the deals to see if there is anything better out there, but I would say if you want to keep an active sim/phone number and only plan on visiting frequently, its a good option.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 16th 2011 at 2:56 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I use an Orange sim for (once annually) UK trips. Couple of good points about Orange - your minutes never expire....once we went a good 2 years without going back, no problem. Another good thing is their PAYG data plans - you can pay topup in advance at low cost - which gives you unlimited data during that time. If I recall, if you do some judicious timing of your topup (i.e. a month before you go) - it can pay dividends.

Here's some info:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_pla..._overview.html

I *think* I'm on the Dolphin plan....I'll have to check.

Its been a year or so since I've revisited all the deals to see if there is anything better out there, but I would say if you want to keep an active sim/phone number and only plan on visiting frequently, its a good option.
Your minutes may not expire, but you may lose your number (and your minutes) if you don't top up regularly.

I have an Orange PAYG, use it very occasionally, mostly for texting the dog-walker (maybe once every couple of weeks) and to make calls during travel (maybe once every month or six). I can't remember the last time I made a call, but I have some "action (receive/send a text or call) at least once a month.

Earlier this year, I sent a text. A while later I got a call on my landline from the person I texted to say they had tried texting me but it had been kicked back. I tried sending another text and it wouldn't send. Essentially, I realised my account was no longer active.

Long story short, but despite using my phone, Orange took away my number/account (and in fact it was sold to/taken by another company, so I couldn't even get it back!) because I hadn't topped up in quite a while (I don't even know how long, but it was within a year).

I ended up getting it sorted out after about an hour in an Orange store. They assigned a new number to my SIM card, but I lost the £10 credit or so I had on the SIM, assigned to my previous number.

So while strictly speaking, minutes don't expire, they do if you don't top up, in fact you will lose your number.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
Long story short, but despite using my phone, Orange took away my number/account (and in fact it was sold to/taken by another company, so I couldn't even get it back!) because I hadn't topped up in quite a while (I don't even know how long, but it was within a year).

I ended up getting it sorted out after about an hour in an Orange store. They assigned a new number to my SIM card, but I lost the £10 credit or so I had on the SIM, assigned to my previous number.

So while strictly speaking, minutes don't expire, they do if you don't top up, in fact you will lose your number.
Maybe. I've had breaks of a lot longer than a year on my Orange SIM and only one time did they disable my account. And even then I was able to call from the US and get my old number and credit restored. I think their terms and conditions say they may take your number away after a year's inactivity.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Correct, none of their phones do aside from the recently-introduced iPhone 4S. It's not used when connecting to Verizon's network in the US.
Not quite right. Verizon's "world phones" have had a GSM radio and SIM slot built in for years. Some blackberrys, some windows phones, some others, and now the iPhone 4s, too.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Yes, you are right. Trouble is, AT&T is one of the few companies, or only company in USA, that USUALLY unlocks, the phones.
T-mobile unlocks the phone for you after 90 days.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Your minutes may not expire, but you may lose your number (and your minutes) if you don't top up regularly.

I have an Orange PAYG, use it very occasionally, mostly for texting the dog-walker (maybe once every couple of weeks) and to make calls during travel (maybe once every month or six). I can't remember the last time I made a call, but I have some "action (receive/send a text or call) at least once a month.

Earlier this year, I sent a text. A while later I got a call on my landline from the person I texted to say they had tried texting me but it had been kicked back. I tried sending another text and it wouldn't send. Essentially, I realised my account was no longer active.

Interesting. Had mine 8? years...wonder if its "grandfathered" in or something. I also have an online login which I check occasionally (even if I put nothing on it) - could be that which keeps it active.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Interesting. Had mine 8? years...wonder if its "grandfathered" in or something. I also have an online login which I check occasionally (even if I put nothing on it) - could be that which keeps it active.
Or maybe they were BS-ing me. I wasn't happy about it, especially losing the £20 or so credit I had on it.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping an old thread with an update.

My Bro-in-law has managed to get me an old HTC Kaiser to use. Still confused as to whether it's Windows or Android, but it's on Vodafone. A PAYG Sim is $10.50 for 100 voice, 3000 texts and 250Mb data, which should more than cover my needs while I'm there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.