Reload this Page >

Best car insurance for foreigners

Best car insurance for foreigners

Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Cookbenj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best car insurance for foreigners

Hi,
Can anyone recommend me the right car insurance for a Brit with an UK driving license and wanting to get insured in Florida Orlando, and is there any way you can establish insurance groups like Britain does for insurance?
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best car insurance for foreigners

Are you just visiting? Surely you're going to need to get a FL license if you're living there. (?)
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Nope I'm on an f1 visa I'll be there for a 1 or more years, and I know I'm aloud to drive in fl with a British licence I also have the international driving permit which some states require
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookbenj
Nope I'm on an f1 visa I'll be there for a 1 or more years, and I know I'm aloud to drive in fl with a British licence I also have the international driving permit which some states require
OK, but are you prohibited from getting a FL license? From others' reported experience, getting a licence is possible, and that will greatly increase your options, and almost certainly reduce the cost of insurance significantly.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, but are you prohibited from getting a FL license? From others' reported experience, getting a licence is possible, and that will greatly increase your options, and almost certainly reduce the cost of insurance significantly.
Hmm ok, i might consider I will be going to the DMV just to confirm everything but, I will have to give up my British driving license and I'm worried that If I ever come back to uk to drive i won't be able to because of the USA license, you know I would be able to swap it back?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

F1 and UK licence is only good if you leave the US at some point by the end of 12 months, even if only for a day.

As it is, just get the local licence, insurance will be chapter and it's the defacto ID card and make being beer etc easier.

As for who to use, well anyone who will insure you. They don't do insurance groups here, it's based on car/age/address at the simplest way of looking at it. Get a beater and it'll be cheaper, even more so if you stuck to state min's, though I wouldn't advise it.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
F1 and UK licence is only good if you leave the US at some point by the end of 12 months, even if only for a day.

As it is, just get the local licence, insurance will be chapter and it's the defacto ID card and make being beer etc easier.

As for who to use, well anyone who will insure you. They don't do insurance groups here, it's based on car/age/address at the simplest way of looking at it. Get a beater and it'll be cheaper, even more so if you stuck to state min's, though I wouldn't advise it.
Well I'm currently in England on break after 12months so that's not a problem for me, but I think I'll have to exchange my license because hope I'll be on a work visa in less than a years time, so you say age the newer the cheaper insurance? And what would you recommend, I've been looking at sat urns because they're pretty cheap, and as for the state mins a and stuff I think I try and keep it average I don't want a big problem if a crash happens
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cookbenj
Hmm ok, i might consider I will be going to the DMV just to confirm everything but, I will have to give up my British driving license and I'm worried that If I ever come back to uk to drive i won't be able to because of the USA license, you know I would be able to swap it back?
You won't have to give up your British license, but you will have to take a Florida test. US tests are embarrassingly easy.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You won't have to give up your British license, but you will have to take a Florida test. US tests are embarrassingly easy.
Hmm ok, should so I need to make appointment to take the test and would they supply me with a car? How much would it be?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need your own car. Will you have one? You can rent.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Would I be able to use a friends car? Will I need to insure myself for that?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You can use any car that can be legally driven in the State.
You will need insurance. This may not actually be checked but legally you need to be insured to drive it.
Just rent a car for 60 bucks with insurance.

You may prefer to drive for a time on your British license if allowed, just so you can get plenty practice for the test.
Yes it is easy but drivers can still fail.

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 11th 2013 at 10:05 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Yea of course, right ok, we'll see then thanks for your help
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Check the state DMV, some states don't allow a rental while others do.

Generally, you book and take a theory, then book and take a practical road test, sometimes they can be on the same day.

You'll want to read the drivers hand book and learn the penalty points, especially anything regarding under 21yr olds. For the tactical, don't speed, stop at stop signs again for the line and then the junction if they are staggered, also over exaggerate looking over your shoulder and looking at the mirrors.