British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best Buy Washer "installation" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-buy-washer-installation-720150/)

hobbes79 Jun 8th 2011 4:29 pm

Best Buy Washer "installation"

Excuse me a Best Buy rant...

Ordered a washer from Best Buy to replace the piece of crap thing we've been struggling with for 2 years. Was treated to quite an experience regarding the installation. Sent the e-mail below to them which has apparently been sent to head office :frown:

My washer delivery saga began with being given a 2-hour slot that was unlikely to work for me. It appears your system isn't flexible to give a preference on a 2-hour window. Though that turned out to be the least of my worries.

When the "installer" finally arrived, he declared he wasn't strong enough to turn the tap to shut off the hot and cold water to the washer. He explained this to my wife while I was at work. He apparently declared that the might of his 250lbs wasn't enough and we needed a plumber.

So old washer still in place. New washer just sitting in the basement.

My wife questioned the "installer" before his departure about the removal of the old washer, as agreed would be part of the service. He said if we detach the washer ourselves, pull it out the basement, put it in the driveway and call you guys again, they'll take it away. Hey, how about just give me keys to a van and put me on the Best Buy payroll, and I'll drop the thing off at a dump as well?

I arrive home, and the only conclusion I can come to is that the "installer' just couldn't be bothered. My slender 165 lbs body that hasn't seen a gym in a number of years turned the taps with MINIMAL effort. While still in a shirt and tie, I pulled the old washer out the way and installed the new one myself, all the time wondering what on earth Best Buy was offering me.

In all seriousness, this was the worst level of service I have ever received. The only logical conclusion I can come to is you pay 3rd party installers by installation, and this guy figured he could make a quick buck by throwing the washer in our general direction and making it our problem. Sure it didn't hurt my wife was home alone, not really in a position to question him.

And of course, we still have to resolve the matter of the existing washer. No, I'm not willing to break my back to move a washer that you agreed to take away. Please don't send the guy you sent previously to do this. He'll probably want my help getting him dressed in the morning knowing my luck. If you have any sense, you will strike him from your approved list of installers.

Since I did the install myself, I think it's only fair you compensate me and pay me for this service. I think $100 is fair for my time and effort, since if I wanted to, I could have simply confirmed I can turn taps myself and insist you send out a new installer adding more time and admin to yourself. Somewhat luckily for you, we had laundry to do, and I frankly couldn't wait for another moron to enter my household.

I look forward to your prompt reply regarding the outstanding issue of the old washer and my compensation.

:thumbdown:

Rant over :)

Sheepdip Jun 8th 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Best Buy Washer "installation"

Best Buy are the brightest spanners in the tool box. We had a dryer from them which they installed with one of those flexible hoses when it clearly stated on the back that it shouldn't have that type. They were later subject to a class action law suit for this.

lyonsden1193 Jun 8th 2011 4:37 pm

Dont shop there again.. we boycotted them about 10 years ago and strangely I cant say that I miss them.. as far as buying things.. if best buy ad is lower in a print ad just take it to lowes or home depot or your local chain and they will either match it or beat it. I have even convinced my boss not to shop at best buy and most of my in laws and everybody else I can.
Raise HOLY HELL with them.

N1cky Jun 8th 2011 4:44 pm

We had similar shit service from them, it took 3 visits over 1 month to get our washer and dryer installed. Unfortunately we couldn't do it ourselves as they needed stacking and no way could we lifting the dryer.

bevinva Jun 8th 2011 4:59 pm

To get rid of the old washer just place a "free" ad on craigslist. There are tons of guys picking up things to scrap and they will gladly carry it out of the basement for you. They will even come when your wife is not home alone.

A few years ago I got a fridge from Best Buy that had a dent that wouldn't show at my house. By the time it was delivered it had a new dent in the front and was the last one they had. We just took the extra discount.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 8th 2011 5:03 pm

This doesn't surprise me for Best buy, we don't buy anything from them that requires delivery, only in stock and take it with us.

N1cky Jun 8th 2011 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 9419578)
To get rid of the old washer just place a "free" ad on craigslist. There are tons of guys picking up things to scrap and they will gladly carry it out of the basement for you. They will even come when your wife is not home alone.

A few years ago I got a fridge from Best Buy that had a dent that wouldn't show at my house. By the time it was delivered it had a new dent in the front and was the last one they had. We just took the extra discount.

Or leave it curb side with a sign saying $50, someone will nick off with it:lol:

ottotheboar Jun 8th 2011 5:10 pm

For any appliance I always buy from our local GE shop as he gives great service. With 6 of us in the house so can not wait for the service guy to show up. Sears were supposed to fix the treadmill yesterday between 8am to 5pm and finally around 6pm the guy called and asked if I knew how to adjust it myself. We now have to re-scedule for another visit in around a week. Sears does the service work for Lowes the van has AE on the side. Our local GE shop usually has someone out the same day same for installations or repairs.

avanutria Jun 8th 2011 5:11 pm

Best Buy is not my favourite store. They once accused me of stealing something. I had been looking at a rack of mp3 player cases and noticed that one of the boxes on the rack was empty, and pointed it out to my friend before proceeding to browse the store for another 20 minutes. Apparently they saw me looking at it and decided that I was the one who had emptied the box, and stopped me at the store exit to accuse me.

Octang Frye Jun 8th 2011 5:28 pm

I really try and avoid going in that place. It starts with overly aggressive greeters, through the overpriced stuff and inept sales staff, through to them trying to squeeze out every last piece of personal information from you at the cash desk. And trying to sell you some sort of insurance for your gizmo.

No sir, I do not like them one bit.

A little aside: a few months ago I bought one of the Kinect Xbox things from Target. I was surprised there was no HDMI cable in the box, so I popped into Best Buy as it's close to my work.

They were selling HDMI cables from $40 to $130. For a cable!!
Target wasn't much better. Apparently, the big box stores don't make much from selling consoles etc, so they put huge mark-ups on the peripheral stuff.

I ended up getting two spiffy HDMI cables from newegg.com for $5.

bevinva Jun 8th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9419660)
I really try and avoid going in that place. It starts with overly aggressive greeters, through the overpriced stuff and inept sales staff, through to them trying to squeeze out every last piece of personal information from you at the cash desk. And trying to sell you some sort of insurance for your gizmo.

No sir, I do not like them one bit.

A little aside: a few months ago I bought one of the Kinect Xbox things from Target. I was surprised there was no HDMI cable in the box, so I popped into Best Buy as it's close to my work.

They were selling HDMI cables from $40 to $130. For a cable!!
Target wasn't much better. Apparently, the big box stores don't make much from selling consoles etc, so they put huge mark-ups on the peripheral stuff.

I ended up getting two spiffy HDMI cables from newegg.com for $5.

I've seen HDMI cables at TJMaxx for less than Best Buy/Target, only problem with that is you never know if they will have them.

Jaxbar Jun 8th 2011 5:47 pm

I too have boycotted Best Buy after a terrible experience, they got every bit of the troubleshooting wrong on my PC and refused to honour the $300.00 dollar extended warranty. (Which I would ever have agreed to)They did not respond to my letter and told me instore that they dont have a customer service dept. Never again.

Noorah101 Jun 8th 2011 5:59 pm

I'm on the list of people who have boycotted Best Buy. Last year I went through a horrible time of trying to buy my refrigerator there. It took several trips to the actual store, they couldn't figure out what they had in the warehouse, then they couldn't do a delivery on a weekend, blah blah blah. I was thinking of buying my range there, too, but they had no way of taking away the old range on the same day they deliver the new one (I have NO space in my place for two ranges!). I finally chucked their terrible service and bought everything at Lowes.

Rene

hobbes79 Jun 8th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ottotheboar (Post 9419612)
For any appliance I always buy from our local GE shop as he gives great service.

Our prior one was a GE washer. Couldn't fault the installation of that one, but it started giving trouble after a year (leaks, needed to reset the motor, needed extra spins to get clothes dry, etc). Battled on for 2 years and then finally the motor reset trick didn't work and the thing wouldn't move. So sick and tired of it, just gave up.

Washer at Home Depot was same price but they wanted $70 for delivery and installation. Best Buy was free installation... guess you get what you pay for... nothing for nothing!

It appears I'm not alone... will avoid Best Buy like the plague going forward.

On the bright side, the new front loading LG washer we got is an absolute dream :)

Noorah101 Jun 8th 2011 6:09 pm

Lowe's matched Best Buy's price, and no delivery or installation fee. :)

Rene