Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best bars in New York

Wikiposts

Best bars in New York

Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:06 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all
Default Best bars in New York

I'm off to NYC over Thanksgiving to meet up with some Brit friends. Anyone got any recommendations for fun or unusual bars with cheap beer in NYC. We are staying just south of Central Park.

Cheers.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:59 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best bars in New York

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
I'm off to NYC over Thanksgiving to meet up with some Brit friends. Anyone got any recommendations for fun or unusual bars with cheap beer in NYC. We are staying just south of Central Park.

Cheers.
Check out Chumleys:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7117534

It's a speak easy from the good old days. Bugger to find (as one would expect from a speak easy) but well worth it.

Just push on Front doors until one gives and leads you to my favourite New York bar
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
We're staying at a hotel on CP and 77th. You going to be anywhere near there so I can listen for a British accent?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Best bars in New York

Originally Posted by Rete
We're staying at a hotel on CP and 77th. You going to be anywhere near there so I can listen for a British accent?
Not the OP but live in the metro area so go into the city a lot.

Rete: You will hear British accents everywhere in NYC! You wouldn't believe how many Brits come over to visit New York for long weekends, and of course thousands of people from the UK live and work in NYC too.

I do enjoy hearing the various accents eg. Scouse, Geordie, Welsh, Yorkshire, London, West country etc.etc. when I go into the city. It's incredible how small the British Isles are, yet the accents vary so much from region to region, even by as little as 5 to 10 miles. It's so different compared to most American accents which to my ears don't seem to have many variations (apart from the obvious North vs Southern drawls, Bostonian, Brooklyn, New Jersey etc.).
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...bars with cheap beer in NYC
bar and cheap in the same sentence in NYC...good luck
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the city daily. Don't hear the accent often but then I'm hearing impaired and not really listening for it.

Just commented as I will be spending the night in the hotel with my daughter and her family tomorrow evening. Was really just kidding with the OP that perhaps I might "run" into him on the street or hotel hallway.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Not the OP but live in the metro area so go into the city a lot.

Rete: You will hear British accents everywhere in NYC! You wouldn't believe how many Brits come over to visit New York for long weekends, and of course thousands of people from the UK live and work in NYC too.

I do enjoy hearing the various accents eg. Scouse, Geordie, Welsh, Yorkshire, London, West country etc.etc. when I go into the city. It's incredible how small the British Isles are, yet the accents vary so much from region to region, even by as little as 5 to 10 miles. It's so different compared to most American accents which to my ears don't seem to have many variations (apart from the obvious North vs Southern drawls, Bostonian, Brooklyn, New Jersey etc.).
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:19 pm
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

I'm in the city daily. Don't hear the accent often but then I'm hearing impaired and not really listening for it.

Just commented as I will be spending the night in the hotel with my daughter and her family tomorrow evening. Was really just kidding with the OP that perhaps I might "run" into him on the street or hotel hallway.
I'm staying not too far from Times Square, my friends are staying between there and Central Park. I'll wear a BritishExpats.com T-shirt...see if you can see me

Keep the bar names coming, I'd like to have a drink in all the ones suggested!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly recommend the Hairy Monk on 3rd Ave and 25th Street... I never miss it whenever I go to NYC.

If you're looking for a good pub crawl... Get onto 3rd Ave at 14th street and walk up 3rd Ave towards the British Consulate at 51st Street... Their are English and Irish pubs/bars all along that road.

Enjoy.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Best bars in New York

I'm staying not too far from Times Square, my friends are staying between there and Central Park. I'll wear a BritishExpats.com T-shirt...see if you can see me

You intend to wear a T shirt in New York in November? Are you mad......or are you from Newcastle?

It's freezing up here.....quite frosty this morning!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:44 pm

Lightbulb Re: Best bars in New York

We're staying at a hotel on CP and 77th.

Oooooh! You're in an ideal location for the Macy's Parade.

Do you know that the balloons will be inflated on Wednesday evening at 7pm at Central Park @77th on the Upper West Side? I was sent an e-mail from Shecky's.com about it (although oddly it says bring your own helium so I don't know what that's all about )

Here's the official Parade info from Macy's:

http://www1.macys.com/campaign/parade/pop/info.jsp

My son and his girlfriend are going into the city to see the parade. Actually those balloons with those faces give me the creeps (I don't like clowns).

Hope you enjoy yourself!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooh! You're in an ideal location for the Macy's Parade.

Do you know that the balloons will be inflated on Wednesday evening at 7pm at Central Park @77th on the Upper West Side? I was sent an e-mail from Shecky's.com about it (although oddly it says bring your own helium so I don't know what that's all about )

Here's the official Parade info from Macy's:

http://www1.macys.com/campaign/parade/pop/info.jsp

My son and his girlfriend are going into the city to see the parade. Actually those balloons with those faces give me the creeps (I don't like clowns).

Hope you enjoy yourself!
The parade may well be called off this year according to the TV this morning. Rain and winds are forecast for Thursday.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You intend to wear a T shirt in New York in November? Are you mad......or are you from Newcastle?

It's freezing up here.....quite frosty this morning!
He'd have been OK in a tee shirt last week but this week.....brrrr.