Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BE's 2011 Christmas Cheer

BE's 2011 Christmas Cheer

Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default BE's 2011 Christmas Cheer

A few years ago Ray suggested that at Christmas we get together and send a little Christmas Cheer to a needy person or organisation. Last year the recipient was one of our own members in need...this year we would like to do similar for the children of Westfalia Orphanage in Peru. This is an organisation brought to our attention by Dakota44. This thread gives you a little background on the organisation. There are 90+ children living at the orphanage...there is no government funding...they rely solely on donations.

It would be nice if we could send Christmas cards to the children and perhaps those that can could make a small donation to the orphanage. When I get an address to send cards to I will post it in this thread. Donations can be made here.

Thank you.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:25 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE's 2011 Christmas Cheer

Nice idea JG

I was pleased to be able to send a small donation when Dakota opened his thread but will certainly try and send more. One of the things that made me really happy to do this is the fact that 100% of the money goes on the kids, no-one is taking an admin fee, no salaries being paid, no advertising costs, every cent spent is spent on food or necessities for these kids
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Nice idea JG

I was pleased to be able to send a small donation when Dakota opened his thread but will certainly try and send more. One of the things that made me really happy to do this is the fact that 100% of the money goes on the kids, no-one is taking an admin fee, no salaries being paid, no advertising costs, every cent spent is spent on food or necessities for these kids
Very true...I hate hearing that many times only a small percentage actually goes to the people in need.

Thank you Nicky.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:55 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea JG
Would be great if Dakota or you could find out if it would be ok for us to send care packages to the orphanage. Wondering if they'd like toys or candy or kids clothes or shoes or something
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Great idea JG
Would be great if Dakota or you could find out if it would be ok for us to send care packages to the orphanage. Wondering if they'd like toys or candy or kids clothes or shoes or something
Care packages are always welcome. You only need to be careful of the mailing costs if the weight is a bit high. It is also a good idea to clearly label anything as a charitable donation and if possible send it requiring a signature at delivery. Packages seem to go missing at customs here on occasion if they are do not require a signature.

Small toys, the little cars, small action figures, marbles, jax, small dolls or stuffed animals. The little kids love all of that. And candy? You would send them to heaven with that. But the problem is not being able to send enough for everyone and then it gets complicated. Toys are not so bad because they share. The little ones are the most in need when it comes to clothes, and again be careful of the weight and cost to mail it. T-shirts, lightweight pants, socks. You may also find that many items are restricted by U.S. postal service, per regulations in Peru, so check those rules and then if need be, lie. lol
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:29 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Care packages are always welcome. You only need to be careful of the mailing costs if the weight is a bit high. It is also a good idea to clearly label anything as a charitable donation and if possible send it requiring a signature at delivery. Packages seem to go missing at customs here on occasion if they are do not require a signature.

Small toys, the little cars, small action figures, marbles, jax, small dolls or stuffed animals. The little kids love all of that. And candy? You would send them to heaven with that. But the problem is not being able to send enough for everyone and then it gets complicated. Toys are not so bad because they share. The little ones are the most in need when it comes to clothes, and again be careful of the weight and cost to mail it. T-shirts, lightweight pants, socks. You may also find that many items are restricted by U.S. postal service, per regulations in Peru, so check those rules and then if need be, lie. lol
Do you have any need for baby clothes? I've got a fair few newborn clothes if you need them.

If I send candy (obvs I'd send some for everyone so as not to cause any problems) I'm thinking chocolate would melt on the way down so that might not be a good idea. Something like poprocks might go over well though
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Do you have any need for baby clothes? I've got a fair few newborn clothes if you need them.

If I send candy (obvs I'd send some for everyone so as not to cause any problems) I'm thinking chocolate would melt on the way down so that might not be a good idea. Something like poprocks might go over well though
There is only one baby and he is about 8 months old and he came with one of the new girls who arrived. I am sure they are hoping to not have any more babies as that would usually involve one of the girls, so, not desired. But I am sure that they will know of some family that could use them. There is plenty of poverty in the area.

Yes, chocolate would probably melt at some point, so anything that would not melt would be great.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The site is slow to load, but worth the wait.

D perhaps you can post a link to the customs' guide as to what can and cannot be sent by post. It would make things easier on those who wish to send a package.

Also perhaps a more detailed list of things needed urgently, i.e. sandals, socks, undies, shirts, trousers, shorts, dresses, etc. What about canned goods of various food products would they be a good item to include?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
The site is slow to load, but worth the wait.

D perhaps you can post a link to the customs' guide as to what can and cannot be sent by post. It would make things easier on those who wish to send a package.

Also perhaps a more detailed list of things needed urgently, i.e. sandals, socks, undies, shirts, trousers, shorts, dresses, etc. What about canned goods of various food products would they be a good item to include?
When you read the prohibited items you would wonder how you would send anything to Peru by mail. It is ridiculous. But rest assured that many of those items are sent all the time by Peruvians sending packages to family. Especially at Christmas. Sending at Christmas is easier one suspects because so many packages arrive, and they know that gifts will be wrapped. Read and laugh, or weep as you see fit.
The restriction also seems to depend on the class of mail. Some of the restrictions are so weird, really. Even though it says used clothing is prohibited, further down the page it says: Used clothing must be accompanied by an appropriate health inspection certificate.
There are many Peruvians who send items back and forth to Peru with Peruvians travelling between the countries, for a fee that is less than the cost of mailing and it also avoids the restrictions.
To be honest, one would think that it becomes unenforceable in terms of many of the items listed.
The page also has the cost lists for various categories of mail. http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ps_005.htm
You will see that it is very costly for many of them and you would never want to send food items, especially canned, due to weight. . Global Express Guaranteed, $66.50 for half a pound. Express mail International $29.95 for half a pound. Priority Mail, $25.50 for up to 25 pounds. So you can see what I mean when I say that it can cost more to mail something than the actual value of the item. It is quite frustrating. What often happens is that people group items together to make sure that they get the 25 pounds of close to it for Priority Mail. Westfalia receives packages from overseas, including some of the items on the prohibited list, so it is done.

But then it is important to not declare a value of more than $190 or it will require special forms from a Peruvian consulate. Some issues with customs can likely be avoided by labeling as charitable donations and including this information. They usually won't mess with it with that information.

Asociacion Peruana "Westfalia Kinderdorf" Aldea Infantil
R.U.C. 20138079148

The number is their registration number with the government.

Bottom line, you can see why I say that it is often better to have money to buy what is needed here, depending on the items.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You will see from the price list that if you sent, for example, one can of tuna it would likely cost as much to mail it as it would cost to buy ten cans. The underwear, socks and light weight clothing is more cost efficient if there is enough to justify the shipping cost. I get a headache when I see how difficult it is to send packages here in an affordable way.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You will see from the price list that if you sent, for example, one can of tuna it would likely cost as much to mail it as it would cost to buy ten cans. The underwear, socks and light weight clothing is more cost efficient if there is enough to justify the shipping cost. I get a headache when I see how difficult it is to send packages here in an affordable way.
I wonder if it's possible for organizations such as Westfalia to approach companies such as FedExand arrange for a special shipping rate.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wonder if it's possible for organizations such as Westfalia to approach companies such as FedEx and arrange for a special shipping rate.
Interesting question and one that I will ask. I do know that some folks who work with companies in the U.S. have shipped through the company account, with permission of course. One outfit that had changed it's formal name and logo had a pile of stationary, pens and other items usable for school with the old info, as well as t-shirts with the old logo, and shipped them all to Westfalia via courier. It was all very usable and a lot better than tossing it.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do you believe they are more lenient for packages addressed to foreigners living in Peru, i.e. yourself, or if addressed to the orphanage?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you believe they are more lenient for packages addressed to foreigners living in Peru, i.e. yourself, or if addressed to the orphanage?
If anything, I think they might be less lenient towards foreigners. But who really knows. Addressed to the orphanage with the information I posted would likely be open to more leniency.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

If anything, I think they might be less lenient towards foreigners. But who really knows. Addressed to the orphanage with the information I posted would likely be open to more leniency.
To avoid confusion could you please post the complete address/details that should be written on envelopes and packages? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.