Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bereavement flight

Bereavement flight

Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bereavement flight

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
I am sorry to hear your sad news.
My husband had to fly home in December to be with his Dad, he made it 24 hours before he passed away. We rang Delta and they gave us a same day ticket $1000 cheaper than the prices quoted on Kayak and the Delta website - It still cost $1400 for a return seat.
I explained the circumstances and all they needed was the name of the funeral director that handled the arrangements. They also waved the fees to moved the return flight, as we had no idea how long my husband would be in the UK. My husband flew Detriot-Amsterdam-Manchester.

I'm flying O'Hare to Manchester in July.....it's $1,500.

Jim.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
Yes but this was booked 3 hours before the flight, on a flight that was technically full. If we had booked the flight 4 months in advance it would have cost nearer $1000.
Thats the whole point of the thread - you can't book a flight home to be with a dying loved one in advance!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
July and Aug are the most expensive months to fly.

Yes but this was booked 3 hours before the flight, on a flight that was technically full. If we had booked the flight 4 months in advance it would have cost nearer $1000.
Thats the whole point of the thread - you can't book a flight home to be with a dying loved one in advance!
Flights booked within 7 days of departure are much more expensive than those booked more than 7 days before departure. I was told it was to do with the security checks....more costly if they had to be expedited.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 27th 2013 at 9:30 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This reason alone that there's a recommendation in the wiki for folks getting work based relocation packages to ask about getting flights included, at least for emergency flights as it is something the company most likely won't have to pay out, but it's a great comfort to you if you do have it as it'll cost a small fortune to have family fly home in a rush because a close relation just got hit by a bus or what not.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:12 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

I found BA not that helpful when my mum passed just after Thanksgiving. I was able to get a reasonable fare to travel that night but because the funeral was delayed, I had to pay a change fee that they would not budge on whatsoever! Try as I might.

To add insult to injury, Bank of America charged a foreign currency fee even though I booked through BA.COM, US website, paid in US$ etc. They argues it was in the small print! Foreign company doing business in the US! My Chase card does not do that so will be used in the future for BA travel etc,