British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bereavement Fares (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bereavement-fares-597364/)

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 13th 2009 4:31 pm

Bereavement Fares

We basically have 2 choices, UA and BA.

Nothing with UA, BA 50% off their standard rate with the ability to change the return date twice.

Just in case anybody searches for recent examples.

lansbury Mar 13th 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Bereavement Fares

Surprised at UA. When the mother-in-law passed away a few years back they flew the wife and I Heathrow to Portland for £250 each in business class.

They offered the lowest fare that had been available for the flight and then put us where there was available seats.

Sorry that you need to travel under such circumstances.

meauxna Mar 13th 2009 5:31 pm

Our situation was like lansbury's.. UA came through (maybe our market?).

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Boiler.

Juswus Mar 13th 2009 5:38 pm

I wasn't even aware such things existed...so thank you

And I am sorry for you loss.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 13th 2009 5:41 pm

Denver is a major United hub, BA is better in that it is a direct flight and BA is a much nicer experiance.

Englishtart Mar 13th 2009 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7376409)
I wasn't even aware such things existed...so thank you

And I am sorry for you loss.

same here, that's a new one on me! Thank you.
Sorry to hear of your sad news :(

Chrissywissy100 Mar 13th 2009 6:01 pm

So sorry for your loss.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 13th 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks for all the commiserations.

We knew it would come, but as with many others here we now have the situation of one elderly parent in the UK, the two of them could manage, but one, either one, is another issue.

With no ideal solution.

Englishtart Mar 13th 2009 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7376514)
Thanks for all the commiserations.

We knew it would come, but as with many others here we now have the situation of one elderly parent in the UK, the two of them could manage, but one, either one, is another issue.

With no ideal solution.

No other family in the UK, that could help you out there? Good luck hun, I'm sure that is very worrying for you :(

Mummy in the foothills Mar 13th 2009 8:19 pm

Sorry for your loss.
I tried to find a bereavement fare when my Dad passed and Mom was alone (he died on vacation in Portugal) It still worked out cheaper to just look for cheap fares online I got tickets for half the price the airlines were quoting for me. :confused:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 13th 2009 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7376531)
No other family in the UK, that could help you out there? Good luck hun, I'm sure that is very worrying for you :(

My line will be coming to an end. My brother is not far, but it is a lot to do and to ask.

Before I moved over we had a pretty complete family gathering, my wife has more siblings!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2009 4:14 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7376268)
Surprised at UA. When the mother-in-law passed away a few years back they flew the wife and I Heathrow to Portland for £250 each in business class.

They offered the lowest fare that had been available for the flight and then put us where there was available seats.

Sorry that you need to travel under such circumstances.

some airlines have done away with bereavement fares as they really didn't save people money, many times the bereavement was discounted off the Y fare and one could even last minute find a cheaper fare online.

frrussre Mar 14th 2009 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7376163)
We basically have 2 choices, UA and BA.

Nothing with UA, BA 50% off their standard rate with the ability to change the return date twice.

Just in case anybody searches for recent examples.

Our thoughts are with you & your family.
Sad for your loss.
Hope & wishes for the future.
Reg. Frank R.

simongb Mar 14th 2009 12:57 pm

My father died right before Christmas. I used BA. They were great. Changed the ticket twice, no problem, no fees. I only paid about $700 for the ticket. I had to leave earlier than I had planned and then I stayed longer in the UK. I just had to produce the death certificate at the airport on my return.

DeanUK2US Mar 14th 2009 9:11 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss, Boiler. Stay strong. A close family death always throws up tough decisions on top of the grief that needs to be managed.