Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Belle and Sebastian

Belle and Sebastian

Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Belle and Sebastian

No - not that badly dubbed Yugoslavian tv series of the boy and his white Pyrean mountain dog - but the Scottish band who took their names....John Peel was a fan and often played their music.

....they're doing a US & Canadian tour in late Feb and March, including such places as KY, TN, MN, CA, OR, PA, NY,TX, MA, DC, WI, WA....

See here:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/tours/

http://www.belleandsebastian.com

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 11th 2006 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:45 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Belle and Sebastian

Originally Posted by Englishmum
No - not that badly dubbed Yugoslavian tv series of the boy and his white Pyrean mountain dog - but the Scottish band who took their names....John Peel was a fan and often played their music.

....they're doing a US & Canadian tour in late Feb and March, including such places as KY, TN, MN, CA, OR, PA, NY,TX, MA, DC, WI, WA....

See here:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/tours/

http://www.belleandsebastian.com

Cool - I like to support the UK bands here. I've seen Placebo, Supergrass, Stereophonics...even Joe Jackson (it was free).
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:55 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Cool - I like to support the UK bands here. I've seen Placebo, Supergrass, Stereophonics...even Joe Jackson (it was free).
If you like to support UK bands my favourite band of all time tours pretty much every year here and is playing Maxwell's in Hoboken again in March so I'll be there. They're from Leeds - well worth a look:

The Wedding Present
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
If you like to support UK bands my favourite band of all time tours pretty much every year here and is playing Maxwell's in Hoboken again in March so I'll be there. They're from Leeds - well worth a look:

The Wedding Present
Hey - thanks for that, I think I'll go along.

I kinda know Jackie and her husband (and their young son) who run Maxwells.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:33 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Belle + Sebastian. Their music always sounds more than a little precious and wussy, but the lyrics are absolutely hilarious as they slide the knife in. They're great song writers and their catalog is extremely consistent. I'd say my favorite albums by them are 1999's 'If You're feeling Sinister" (the title track of which may be my favorite B+S song) and last year's "Push Barman..." comp. "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" is good too. they also have a new album coming out in February, I believe.

If you like B+S, check out:

The Magic Numbers: a new UK band who released their fantastic debut last year. Mellow and catchy.
The Shins: a fairly popular band from Albuquerque. they sound like a combination of Nick Drake and the Kinks. they've released two of the best albums of the past few years, IMO.

Lastly, I've been a fan of the Wedding Present since "George Best" came out. Excellent band and their new album rocks.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:41 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - thanks for that, I think I'll go along.

I kinda know Jackie and her husband (and their young son) who run Maxwells.
There are usually a few Brits there. Let me know if you are going. I'm probably going to drag my wife along (again - she's not a huge fan), so if you were interested in meeting up for a drink beforehand...
Old Jan 14th 2006, 3:16 pm

I don't know if you ever liked 'Squeeze', but Chris Difford is at Maxwell's in April so I'm definitely planning to go to see him. I was dining with my Hoboken friends last night and they're going to see Richard Butler at the same venue - he was the lead singer of the 'Psychedelic Furs.'

Here's the listing for forthcoming concerts there:

http://www.maxwellsnj.com/index.html

There is a free concert on tonight at the Winter Gardens in the World Financial Center in Lower Manhatten....it's about Bruce Springsteen's 'Nebraska' project and Michelle Shocked - whom I really like - is performing. Sadly I need to have an early night as I have to be up at 5.30am to drop my son off to board a coach to go snowboarding...

http://www.worldfinancialcenter.com/calendar/
Old Jan 14th 2006, 4:04 pm
Not here much

That would be great - Mark Eitzel is good and would have been worth seeing. Unfortunately we had a late(ish) one in the city last night so won't be heading up that way again today.

I need to keep more of an eye on what is going on at Maxwells as there's always great stuff there.

Have you ever been to Joe's Pub in Manhattan? We love that place but again don't go enough. It's a small place with great acoustics - pretty cheap to get in but there is a food or drink minimum but the food isn't bad and it's good to book a table for dinner for the performance.