British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BELFAST EMBASSY SECURITY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/belfast-embassy-security-782521/)

mmac88 Jan 4th 2013 7:34 pm

BELFAST EMBASSY SECURITY

Hey folks, my visa application has been approved and was looking to fly over to belfast next week for the interview part.

Question is is there somewhere i can leave my phone? I have searched and searched and cant find any recent posts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Noorah101 Jan 4th 2013 8:05 pm

Re: BELFAST EMBASSY SECURITY

Originally Posted by mmac88 (Post 10464503)
Hey folks, my visa application has been approved and was looking to fly over to belfast next week for the interview part.

How could your visa application be approved before you attend the in-person interview? Do you actually mean the petition was approved?

Sorry, I don't know about where to leave your phone....you could leave it at home or in the car (if you're driving).

Rene

jeffreyhy Jan 4th 2013 8:10 pm

The US does not have an embassy in Belfast.

Regards, JEff

caleyjag Jan 4th 2013 8:13 pm

Unlike all other consulates I've been too, Belfast is excellent in this regard. The security are (in my experience) extremely friendly and will hold items like that for you at the gate.

If they no longer provide that service, it's surrounded by woodland so you could easily stash your stuff.

caleyjag Jan 4th 2013 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10464543)
The US does not have an embassy in Belfast.

Regards, JEff

Smartarse!

SultanOfSwing Jan 4th 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 10464545)
Unlike all other consulates I've been too, Belfast is excellent in this regard. The security are (in my experience) extremely friendly and will hold items like that for you at the gate.

If they no longer provide that service, it's surrounded by woodland so you could easily stash your stuff.

One thing Belfast is good at is security, we've had plenty of practice :D

Surrounded by woodland, though? Has it moved because the last I rememeber, it was in the city centre. Castle Street, if memory doesn't deal me a dog-turd. Granted, it's 7 years since I lived there and I never had to use the Belfast consulate throughout my visa process so I'm not an authority.

To the OP - I can recommend a few good places to get a feed and a pint when you're done :nod:

jeffreyhy Jan 4th 2013 8:41 pm

Well, one could always refresh their memory using the ever handy internet?

Is Danesfort House, 223 Stranmillis Road, in the woods or in the city center?

Cheers, JEff

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10464588)
Surrounded by woodland, though? Has it moved because the last I rememeber, it was in the city centre. Castle Street, if memory doesn't deal me a dog-turd. Granted, it's 7 years since I lived there ...

jeffreyhy Jan 4th 2013 8:42 pm

What? Am I wrong?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 10464548)
Smartarse!

SultanOfSwing Jan 4th 2013 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10464596)

Cheers, JEff

Neither.

I didn't really care, I was only thinking out loud :lol:

jeffreyhy Jan 4th 2013 8:46 pm

I know, and it's a boring Friday afternoon. :p

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10464605)
Neither.

I didn't really care, I was only thinking out loud :lol:

SultanOfSwing Jan 4th 2013 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10464609)
I know, and it's a boring Friday afternoon. :p

Regards, JEff

Yeah, it is, sort of ...

Noorah101 Jan 4th 2013 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10464596)

Cheers, JEff

And if you go to Google Maps, Satellite View, you can see that it seems to be more of a wooded area, rather than city center. ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I'm bored, too. LOL :D

Rene

jeffreyhy Jan 4th 2013 9:16 pm

Touche.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10464641)
And if you go to Google Maps, Satellite View, ...

MarylandNed Jan 4th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by mmac88 (Post 10464503)

Question is is there somewhere i can leave my phone? I have searched and searched and cant find any recent posts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

The consulate is not in the city centre so make sure you allow yourself enough time to get there. They will let you check in small items:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=belfast

You can also leave stuff at the Belfast Welcome Centre for a small fee:

http://www.gotobelfast.com/home/page/contact-us

mmac88 Jan 4th 2013 9:43 pm

Well thanks for the.........help i guess.

If anyone has any more information that would be great, maybe someone whos been recently.

And yes Food and somewhere to go after it would be great as flight isnt until 6pm

MarylandNed Jan 4th 2013 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by mmac88 (Post 10464668)

If anyone has any more information that would be great, maybe someone whos been recently.

See the link to the thread in my post #14 above.

And yes Food and somewhere to go after it would be great as flight isnt until 6pm

http://www.titanicbelfast.com/Home.aspx

caleyjag Jan 4th 2013 11:53 pm

It's walking distance from the southern end of the stuff surrounding Queen's University. Usually quite a lively area. You could probably get a pie and a pint there before making your way to the airport.

Overall, Belfast is the best option for visa stuff. It's quick and friendly. Infinitely more pleasant than going to London.

Speedwell Jan 4th 2013 11:59 pm

Hmm, my husband is from Northern Ireland. I thought all CR-1's had to come through London. Which is fine, but I wanted to clarify.

Hawkini Jan 5th 2013 12:17 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 10464814)
...Infinitely more pleasant than going to London.

Oh I don't know - the actual embassy itself was nice, I've been there for two visas now, both times got the earliest appointment and was seen within 10 mins for the first window and then 15 for the second. Both times had the nicest person behind a glass window to talk to during the 2 minutes it takes for them to say your Visa has been approved.

The only unpleasant thing about going to London in my opinion is the expensive parking around the embassy - but then I wasn't there long enough to care :D

MarylandNed Jan 5th 2013 12:37 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 10464814)
It's walking distance from the southern end of the stuff surrounding Queen's University. Usually quite a lively area. You could probably get a pie and a pint there before making your way to the airport.

Overall, Belfast is the best option for visa stuff. It's quick and friendly. Infinitely more pleasant than going to London.

I'd take a taxi or the #8a bus from Donegal Square.

http://belfast.usconsulate.gov/embassy-info.html

I'd head to the Crown and/or Robinson's for a pint.

http://www.crownbar.com/

http://www.robinsonsbar.co.uk/

jeffreyhy Jan 5th 2013 12:42 am

You are correct - the Consulate General in Belfast is not an immigrant visa issuing post.

On the other hand, the OP does not appear to be applying for an immigrant visa?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10464819)
I thought all CR-1's had to come through London.

Pumba NI Jan 6th 2013 8:03 pm

I lived there for 3 years until august. Bus 8a will get you there from Great Victoria street bus station. I recommend Yum for food. They do american style pancakes with maple syrup and bacon, it'll get you in an american mood. But plenty of other stuff available as well.

Apfelkuchen Jan 7th 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 10464545)

Erm, I wouldn't necessarily do that, even if you could probably get away with it. A friend of mine caused a security alert at the London Embassy a few years back by stashing his bag in a bush outside. (Although if it is just a phone that would presumably attract less attention.)

Danesfort is in a suburban area so there are really just houses around there. The nearest pub that springs to mind is Cutter's Wharf on the river (Lockview Road). It does food too, though personally my top recommendation is The Sphinx kebab shop on Stranmillis Road. Ask for a large on chips for the greatest culinary experience of your life. I am only half joking. Otherwise Stranmillis Road has lots of places to eat (just not at the Danesfort/Malone Road end - the other end).

EDIT: Just realised my last sentence was potentially confusing as the Stranmillis Rd meets the Malone Rd at both ends. The bit with all the restaurants is the end nearer to Queen's, the Botanic Gardens etc.

Apfelkuchen Jan 7th 2013 2:05 pm

P.s. When planning your travel to back to the airport keep an eye out for any news on the Loyalist protests/riots that have been going on for the last month or so. Part of that is the obstruction of major arterial routes during late afternoon/early evening.

mmac88 Jan 8th 2013 2:11 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the help and information. To be honest i will probably go do my interview and then just go back to airport as quick as i can and hang around there, just because of the afore mentioned riots n such.

Thanks for all the help been greatly appreciated. Lets hope all goes well now!

Mark

BrooklynIrish Jan 9th 2013 10:07 pm

I was at the US Consulate on Friday last week to apply for a renewal for my visa.

I can confirm that the security people there are friendly and easy to deal with, as are the consulate staff themselves. I did not bring my mobile phone or computer as I was not aware of the situation vis-a-vis a holding place for these things and preferred not to take the risk.

However it was clear that had I brought them, it would have been fine - they would have just held them at the security booth for me.

I took a train from Dublin and got a taxi (ValueCabs) from the station. The driver told me he makes several trips a day to the consulate. It was a 7 minute drive and cost just under six pounds.

I hadn't brought my self-addressed envelope and they allowed me to postpone handing this in until after the interview. I walked 30 minutes to the post office at Botanical Avenue (near Queens), got an SAE (I was allowed to have it sent to me in Dublin which was great, as going through London last year they insisted on a UK address which delayed me further). It cost just under a tenner.

The visa arrived in Dublin on Tuesday morning. I'd highly recommend going through Belfast. They were courteous, professional and processed my application as quickly as possible.

Good luck.

mmac88 Jan 10th 2013 11:48 am

I can pretty much repeat what the guy above said. Place was a pleasure. Security couldn't have been more helpful in holding my small bag with some stuff in it. Taxi was cheap and driver really helpful

I'm and out in less than an hour, visa approved!! Good day!