Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Being wished 'Happy 4th'

Being wished 'Happy 4th'

Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being wished 'Happy 4th'

It's good to be a bad loser. And easy, with my wife to rub my face in it as she was yesterday.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm not talking about strangers or walmart greeters.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It might be one thing if someone wants to make up a beef with you today because you are British, or start to really go on about the freedom crap
It's those people, maybe ones you work with or who know you and know full well you are British, and wish you happy 4th with a smug smile on their face trying to provoke a reaction out of you.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm not talking about strangers or walmart greeters.

It's those people, maybe ones you work with or who know you and know full well you are British, and wish you happy 4th with a smug smile on their face trying to provoke a reaction out of you.
Friends looking for a reaction is fine.. all fun and games. Non-friends, I dont give a stuff about em or what they think anyhow so.. meh, whatever.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:39 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And to them you can say "if it weren't for the French, you would all be speaking English now."
LMAO!!!!

Happy 5th everyone

Yank
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
LMAO!!!!

Happy 5th everyone

Yank

Up the British!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Yea, I have no problem with being wished a Happy 4th - I'll say it back and mean it.

That's not to say other aspects of American interpretations of the day haven't bugged me at other times, but the phrase 'Happy 4th' isn't one I've experienced in a pointed way.

Edited to add: Sorry, only just saw you specify it's about people you know doing it for a reaction. I have to admit I've never really had that on the 4th from people I know, though I prefer not to go to big gatherings for this reason, thankfully my wife understands why and we do our own thing. I did have a 'friend' once (not on the 4th) tell me that no one in Britain can get over the Revolution, that it makes us angry to this day. It's a tricky one to reply to as obviously no one actually gives a flying flip in the UK - but if you argue that too much... it looks like you DO have an issue!

I do have a fantasy of it happening again and replying:

'oh you know, I think people there care as much as people here care about August 24th'

'What's August 24th?'

'the day we burnt DC down....'

Last edited by Egon; Jul 5th 2012 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone said that to me this year. I don't myself, it's only a bank holiday. To me it'd be the same as a non-Brit wishing me a 'happy May Day' if I was still at home.

I was a bit hacked off yesterday though and considered posting 'Happy Thanksgiving to all my British friends' but decided against it. I sort of wish I had done now
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well, onward and upward to the 14th everyone.

Aux armes, citoyens.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well, onward and upward to the 14th everyone.

Aux armes, citoyens.
I'll be pissing plastic Paddys off country wide next Thursday
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'll be pissing plastic Paddys off country wide next Thursday
Orange? (Not as up on it as I should be).
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
Orange? (Not as up on it as I should be).

That is the particular bank holiday but I was really only messing about because nobody knows what it is here. Maybe I'll wear orange to work though, just in honour of the two days everyone else back home will have off to enjoy the rain.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:59 pm

That is the particular bank holiday but I was really only messing about because nobody knows what it is here. Maybe I'll wear orange to work though, just in honour of the two days everyone else back home will have off to enjoy the rain.
Big floppy orange hat and some wooly shorts. That's what ya need... Give a sense of sophistication to the whole thing.

I guess I'm kinda odd. I never understood (here or in the UK) the point of rows of people marching up and down a street. It just seems such a waste of a day to me.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:03 pm
I have a comma problem

Big floppy orange hat and some wooly shorts. That's what ya need... Give a sense of sophistication to the whole thing.

I guess I'm kinda odd. I never understood (here or in the UK) the point of rows of people marching up and down a street. It just seems such a waste of a day to me.
It's two days off, mate. I've nothing against the parades but I preferred to stay in bed, myself. Invariably my mate and I would get together for a few civilised drinks at my gaff and that was about it.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:04 pm

It's two days off, mate. I've nothing against the parades but I preferred to stay in bed, myself. Invariably my mate and I would get together for a few civilised drinks at my gaff and that was about it.
Can't argue with two days off ... Or bed ... Or drinks. I Just need to avoid the walking part.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Can't argue with two days off ... Or bed ... Or drinks. I Just need to avoid the walking part.
I don't handle crowds well, so I avoided it for that reason. We went to a few when I was younger, it wasn't so bad then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.